Alternative / modern / young crafters craft fair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative / modern / young crafters craft fair

I was wondering if anyone knew of more alternative, modern craft fairs?

Craft fairs for young, contemporary crafters anywhere in the country.

Thanks

Rhian x

Originally posted by rhimix View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knew of more alternative, modern craft fairs?

Craft fairs for young, contemporary crafters anywhere in the country.

Thanks

Rhian x
    As opposed to those for us old, out of date crafters?!
    Cynthia
    http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

I spent a couple of years doing traditional craft fairs when i first went self employed and the average craft fair goer was not interested in my jewellery (maybe it does have something to do with age). Since then i have encountered some street fairs/craft fairs with more modern and contemporary items for sale which my items fit in with.

I wasn't meaning to offend anyone. I loved doing craft fairs and miss them and the people i met doing them but the profits (if any) weren't justifiable for the money spent on a pitch, travel, display, food etc. As i miss doing them but can't afford it as a hobby i was looking for craft fairs appropriate to what i make.

Comment

I believe they do exist. The Craftsman magazine might be a good source of info, they usually showcase contemporary stuff (along with traditional stuff).

Have you tried galleries too?
        Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

Originally posted by rhimix View Post
          I spent a couple of years doing traditional craft fairs when i first went self employed and the average craft fair goer was not interested in my jewellery (maybe it does have something to do with age). Since then i have encountered some street fairs/craft fairs with more modern and contemporary items for sale which my items fit in with.

I wasn't meaning to offend anyone. I loved doing craft fairs and miss them and the people i met doing them but the profits (if any) weren't justifiable for the money spent on a pitch, travel, display, food etc. As i miss doing them but can't afford it as a hobby i was looking for craft fairs appropriate to what i make.
          Sorry, you will get used to my sense of humour, I wasn't offended!! I do understand what you mean, but think mnost craft fairs are attended by a certain age group. Probably need something organised for a "younger" audience if that can be found. Again - I was only joking with my response - I am not really that old!!
          Cynthia
          http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

Is it possible to get student unions or colleges to think of organising a space for younger modern crafters such as yourself to show off their work? If not a craft/fair market? Maybe it could tie in with their charity work...i.e. If you were paying for a table pitch or whatever then could this be donated to college's current charity?
            Good luck with your venture!
            Txx
            ps Are you Welsh?

Comment

I think there are definitely some places where your work would be appreciated by a younger crowd. I don't know where you are but try selling at flea markets, or how about a stand at a music festival or carnival of some sort. Good lucck.
              www.littlebead.blogspot.com
              www.twitter.com/littlebead

Comment

There's a great craft fair happening in November in Oxford - here is the flickr page that has all the details:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/handmadeoxford/

and here is the blog page for it:

http://handmadeoxford.blogspot.com/

The flickr page also has some pictures of some of the work of some of the exhibitors too.

knit sew crochet hop..........

my etsy shop www.cloudhopping.etsy.com

my folksy shop www.folksy.com/shops/cloudhopping

my musings www.cloudhoppingdesigns.blogspot.com/

Comment

you can try handmade oxford and wemakelondon events I think they may be something a bit different than traditional craft fair...

I am going to be at handmade oxford
                  blog
                  website
                  etsy shop
                  folksy shop
                  twitter

Comment

I shall be there too jezzabell!

knit sew crochet hop..........

my etsy shop www.cloudhopping.etsy.com

my folksy shop www.folksy.com/shops/cloudhopping

my musings www.cloudhoppingdesigns.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi,

Depending on how far away you are from Nottingham there may be something thats worth your while here - we hold mini markets for the Trent University students once a month and we also have one or two spaces available at Goose Fair (Europes largest travelling funfair).

If you want to know more get in touch.

Comment

I was at a fair yesterday (Bank holiday Monday) and was approached by the Student Union of the Uni here in Luton and asked if I would consider doing a candle party for the students at the SU Centre. I am a 54 yr old grand mother and willing agreed to do it. He is going to contact me when he can arrange a day. Also several 'youngsters brought my candles where as 'my' generation where not so interested. Perhaps it is different for candles if so I am glad it is, was my best fair this year.
                        Pauline

GroovyCart
                        Folksy
                        MISI
                        Ehive

Comment

hi ,I know what you mean, I think my jewellery is better marketed at a younger crowd and so I went to music festivals this year, I fly pitched at glastonbury and did a few smaller music festivals and did well. The large corperate ones are very expensive and I cant see how anyone could make much of a profit unless you are selling food but the smaller ones can cost as little as £40 for a stall for 3/4 days. Its really worth ago, if your intrested i can pm you some websites with info on for next year, good luck in whatever you do though,
                          visit my website www.kayaflower-jewellery.com

Comment

I think fresh on the market in preston may be kind of what your looking for. I have a table booked but Ive never quite made it there yet for various reasons! I am deffinetly going in september though!
                            I like to make things - usually a mess!
                            Please look at my stuff and let me know what you think!
                            http://elephantfrills.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi. We have a local college, which does regular arty fairs for up and coming artists, only handmade items allowed. it's on the web. I can't post links yet but if you pm me i'll spell it out for you. Hils
                              Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

Working...
                              X