Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting my own craft event/fair HELP WANTED x

Hi everyone,
    After a long hard investigation'' of trying to find any form of craft events in South Yorkshire, I have come to the conclusion that I may have to organise one myself, I did however have a couple of responses from some very kind people who sugested some fairs locally to which I think I will attend, but these are not regular events and probably on the small side, (but I have done a few fairs in the past and found the small fairs are where I made most profitt!! maybe because there wasn't alot of other stalls and customers did want to take something home....).
    I just wanted some feedback to how to get started and if there is enough crafters/artists out there who would be interested in having a stall in the South Yorkshire area, I live in Treeton, which is on the boarder of Sheffield and Rotherham.
    Will keep with my investigation and will keep updating with any news.
    Thanks
    Ursula

craft stall

I would be interested in attending once I figure out how far it is from me. I'm in leeds, and of course the dreaded price within reason. but please keep me up to date with how you get on.

Good Luck and if I can help spread the word just shout.

Hils
    Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

I would possibly be interested if it was near to Sheffield ? If you have anymore details that would be great ? i know a few others that may be interested too !!

Good luck with it all !!

Sara x
      allabouteden blog

fromthehandsofkittyeden

my folksy shop

Comment

Hi Ursula

Have you tried:

http://www.ukcfis.com

they have a section on how to promote craft fairs etc, you can also list with them once dates decided. I too have looked at starting my own fairs, have not got very far at present, pity we are not nearer as we could join forces. I am finding it difficult to go it alone and think it would be easier with a partner (in crime). Be interested in how you progress and get along.

Caroline

Comment

Hi, also try stallfinder.com

Then crafters will see what fairs are available and where.

Unfortunately there is an element of risk starting up organising fairs. When I started it was a case of booking dates when I knew some crafters were aboard. Then people starting enquiring and I had no future dates that suited, so I had to go for it and book a venue so options were there when people enquired.

So then, you have a looming date you know you have to fill!

It IS hard work, but worthwhile. (I think! - ask me in another year!)

Probably first thing is to start distributing your details so crafters can make enquiries.

Good luck with it
          Diane
          www.artsandcraftsinthepeak.co.uk

Comment

I'm in Sheffield and I would definitely be interested.
            Yvonne
            x

My website: www.mymiyel.com
            My blog: www.mymiyel.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi ,
              Thanks for the mention Diane. It's funny, there seems to be loads of crafters in Sheffield but not many craft events there. There definitely does seem to be a gap in the market there Ursula.
              Gail.
              http://www.stallfinder.com
              Twitter http://www.twitter.com/stallfinder

Comment

Originally posted by stallfinder View Post
                Hi ,
                Thanks for the mention Diane. It's funny, there seems to be loads of crafters in Sheffield but not many craft events there. There definitely does seem to be a gap in the market there Ursula.
                Gail.
                That's ok Gail
                Diane
                www.artsandcraftsinthepeak.co.uk

Comment

I'm in Leeds and might be interested
                  http://www.craftynclothy.com

http://www.folksy.com/shops/craftynclothy

http://craftynclothy.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi everyone
                    Thankyou all for the interest in a craftfair in South Yorkshire, theres so much work involved and knowhow-which I dont seem to have at the minute, first thing Im looking at is a venue to suit everyone, Ive had a couple of interest from people in Sheffield and Leeds.
                    I know of a couple of small fairs localy in Dinnington and NorthAnston in October which I will be attending and have enquired about the Lincoln Christmas Market as this has many customers,
                    but still feel the need for a regular fair which is soley devoted to handmade items.
                    Im sure,like my partner said if we all come together and put our thinking caps on we could organise this and have a fair to suit our needs.....
                    I ll keep you posted
                    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

When I enquired about organising craft fairs in South Yorkshire (Doncaster, Rotherham and Sheffield) i was told by the Local Authorities that they had "sole rights" to all fairs and markets in the districts, under some royal charter from the middle ages! So please make further enquiries before you start, as the fees you have to pay the local authorities for a license are astronomical. They impose high fees to stifle any competition.

Comment

Hi,

I would also be interested - I live in Rotherham and so anything in the South Yorkshire area would be great!

Comment

O.K. I know a bit about the lack of events in south yorkshire! and many of you will not believe what the laws are.
                          When the royal charters for markets were granted to the towns in the 12th to 16th centuries, the rule was that they had exclusive rights to all markets ,fairs ,events of all sorts.
                          Not all councils enforce this right, but south yorkshire does, hence the lack of car boot, craft fairs ect.
                          You have to approach the local licencing office (the same place that licences taxis ect.) and ask their permision, pay the fee and hope they like you, or you have no chance.
                          Hold a unlicenced event and the council will throw the mighty power of their legal department at you.
                          Ways round this- if the area is classed as a holiday area then you are excluded, the nearest ones I can think of are knaresboroug and maybe some areas in derbyshire.
                          They also are a bit more helpfull to charities,churches ect.
                          The daftest thing about this law is the distance between markets! the original law said that you could not set up a market within a days walk for a donkey!!!! this gets interperated as anything between 6 and 20 miles (tried to move a donkey once,I would put it at 100 yards)
                          There is a case in the courts now . somewhere in the north east a market has set up 3 miles away from a charter market, they are saying that its not illeagal because a river stops a donkey being walked between the two in a day.
                          A car boot did set up at a place called Haig near Barnsley
                          They got away with it because the end of the field that the portacabin office was on, was in wakefield! they lasted a couple of years and the rumours were that Barnsley council spent a small fortune trying to stop them
                          Back to the thread- if you want to do this in south yorkshire, then get together with a church, then present the event to the licence office as a charity event, you should get a fair chance of success. I wish you every success with this because this area could do with being dragged out of the 16th century
                          I think there is more info about this on the NMTA web site
                          p.s. excuse spelling, as auntynet has gone shopping so cant correct for me

Comment

re craft events

Originally posted by Ursulaopen View Post
                            Hi everyone,
                            After a long hard investigation'' of trying to find any form of craft events in South Yorkshire, I have come to the conclusion that I may have to organise one myself, I did however have a couple of responses from some very kind people who sugested some fairs locally to which I think I will attend, but these are not regular events and probably on the small side, (but I have done a few fairs in the past and found the small fairs are where I made most profitt!! maybe because there wasn't alot of other stalls and customers did want to take something home....).
                            I just wanted some feedback to how to get started and if there is enough crafters/artists out there who would be interested in having a stall in the South Yorkshire area, I live in Treeton, which is on the boarder of Sheffield and Rotherham.
                            Will keep with my investigation and will keep updating with any news.
                            Thanks
                            Ursula
                            Hi ursula
                            we would be very interested in having a stall at an event you may organise
                            we make handmade invitations. cards, keepsake cardsnd boxes etc
                            could you please email me if you manage to sort anything
                            thanks
                            karen and emma

Comment

Originally posted by urbtaf View Post
                              auntynet has gone shopping so cant correct for me
                              You let her out? What were you thinking?

From the sounds of it, going on the silly bye-laws (ooh, spelling. I wish I had an aunynet to do my corrections!), I would set up a charity craft fair, why not pick several charities and donate to a different one each week? You could advertise this and it may get people in. Or as Urbtaf says above, get together with the local church, they may let you use their hall for free if you give them a percentage of your profit for their church roof fund, or what ever it is churches collect for these days
                              www.beadlab.com

Comment

Working...
                              X