Stealing Fairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stealing Fairs

Is it just me or does anyone elseget annoyed by this. I spend ages researching and finding good fairs to attend. And then suddenly the next year there is all my competitors at it. Im sure they just follow where I am going and copy me. Saves them all the work but its really annoying,.

Well I guess they could only know where you are going if you told them, so they must be doing their research too! I find it more frustrating to have sussed out a fair and then find I can't get a place because everybody else got there first but hey nobody ever said life was fair! Good luck at your next fairs.
    www.littlebead.blogspot.com
    www.twitter.com/littlebead

Comment

I see your point but there is nothing to say that they can't attend also!

Comment

Afraid it is the name of the game - lots of crafters searching for the elusive craft fairs, so people will end up in the same place eventually, particularly if the events are well advertised. A google search can be done by anyone and if the event has a lot on the internet it will get picked up. Just make sure that you get in early!!
        Cynthia
        http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

I'm sure there are many people out there who check websites etc to see where others are selling their stuff. The trouble is that you need to advertise where you are selling to get people there. A double edged sword I'm afraid.
          The other annoying thing is to have a fellow stallholder at a monthly fair who gradually starts selling the same stuff as you do.

Melanie

Comment

The other annoying thing is to have a fellow stallholder at a monthly fair who gradually starts selling the same stuff as you do.

Melanie[/quote]

That I can imagine would be extremely annoying. Can't see that it would do them much good either.
            Cynthia
            http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

It does if they undercut your prices !!!
              I made sure I had something new each time to keep ahead of her but luckily I don't do those fairs any longer.

Melanie
              Last edited by silvermaid; 22-08-2008, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Attending fairs

You'll find that the really good events are usually booked up months in advance - if a fair has a good reputation, exhibitors tend to stay with that person following them from one fair to another. My advice would be to make sure that you are offering something different all the time within your chosen craft. It is essential that your quality and standards improve continually.
                If you are easily accepted as an exhibitor into a craft fair without any sort of vetting, walk away! don't put money in someones pocket without getting something for it!
                Woodenlady
                (Professional craft workers' wife of over 25 years standing.)

Comment

Originally posted by woodenlady View Post
                  You'll find that the really good events are usually booked up months in advance - if a fair has a good reputation, exhibitors tend to stay with that person following them from one fair to another. My advice would be to make sure that you are offering something different all the time within your chosen craft. It is essential that your quality and standards improve continually.
                  If you are easily accepted as an exhibitor into a craft fair without any sort of vetting, walk away! don't put money in someones pocket without getting something for it!
                  Woodenlady
                  (Professional craft workers' wife of over 25 years standing.)
                  Hi, I'm pleased to say that from starting up this year, I do have bookings months in advance, and have regular people coming along with me. So that's good!

....but, I do welcome new crafters with new crafts, and therefore am keen to accept them. I do ask for photos of work to check for quality and style. But new crafters please don't think that because I accept you aboard my fairs should be avoided - I am certainly not just looking to put your money in my pocket. I'm very keen for you to do well at my fairs - then we're all happy and smiley!

Just to clarify my position folks
                  Diane
                  www.artsandcraftsinthepeak.co.uk

Comment

Some of my best friends are so called competitors and so far all we have done is support each other - rather like you see happening here on the forum. We swap ideas , share good suppliers etc and also let each other know if we hear of a show- but the truth is all that info is so easily available now anyway with the good sites online. The key i think is to have confidence in your own designs and smile at the punters - because for sure if you are at a Show seething because of the competition, your bad mood will be picked up by the buyers who will pass you by for the cheerful soul on the stall down the way.
                    ps I should add i am the eternal optimist
                    Chris xx
                    My Website
                    My Blog

Comment

Too many crafters, not enough fairs - simple as that!

What REALLY bugs me on the other hand is when you book a craft fair and then they cancel it. That's happened a couple of times over the past few months - one I only found out had been cancelled by chance about 2 days before the fair! Grrr. I got a refund for my stall but not really the point..
                      Caroline

Diamond Ideas

http://www.diamondideas.co.uk/

http://twitter.com/DiamondIdeas01

Diamond Ideas is also on facebook!

Go on, add some sparkle to your project!

Comment

I have done craft fairs where they will only have one of each type of craft, ie. one jewellery stall, one painting/artist, one textiles, etc. so they get a good mix. Some have this rule, some don't.

Comment

i think the best range is when there are 2/3 of each craft, nice to have some competitition or it can be dull. Still annoys me when other crafters steal my places though after I did all the graft. And then especially if they get into it the foloowing year and I dont.

Comment

Originally posted by lauraj View Post
                            Still annoys me when other crafters steal my places though after I did all the graft.
                            Are you telling the other crafters where you are going? Otherwise, I don't understand how they are stealing your places - they might have done some graft too to find out about the fairs!

If it's because you're telling them about the fairs you've discovered - and it really annoys you when they turn up at one after you telling them about it - then be a little secretive and don't tell them!

If they've found out about it themselves...fair do, isn't it?
                            Diane
                            www.artsandcraftsinthepeak.co.uk

Comment

hi diane, no it is just a couple of really secret little fairs I have done last year that certain people (the same person has appeared at 3 evetns I have done previously, that they havent) have appeared at thius year. I dont have a website so they havent found it through that but I think they have picked up my events flierss at the more popular events. And then they see the little ones and see an opportunity,

I would probabkly do the same but its just sooooo annoying. I know some people obviously do hunt and find fairs themselves but there is just this one person who I know is following my craft fair route year on year out.

Rant over,.

Comment

Working...
                              X