Tyne and Wear Fairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyne and Wear Fairs

Does anyone know of any craft fair organisers in Tyne and Wear? I am having such trouble trying to find fair in this area.

Any suggestions?
    Sharon

Facebook - Silly Old Bear Crafts

Folksy - www.folksy.com/shops/SillyOldBear
    Blog - www.sillyoldbearcrafts.blogspot.com
    Website - www.kidsnewcastle.co.uk

Hi Silly Old Bear - don't know of any fairs but think I had the stall next to you at Guisborough so thought I'd say hello!
    www.CeeGeeJewellery.com Handcrafted Sterling Silver Jewellery
    www.EvaBeanBeads.etsy.com Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads
    Etsy - Folksy - BLOG

Do you Twitter? Follow us!
    Find us on Facebook! Add to your profile for news and freebies...

Comment

Hello!

Yes you did, are you doing any more fairs up this way? With Yorkshire Fairs? I remeber that we both had the same thoughts on some of the other stallholders who were at Gisborough - handmade, er I don't think so.

How are things?
      Sharon

Comment

Hiya, things are good thanks! I cancelled all the fairs I had booked in Yorkshire apart from the December ones - it wasn't worth travelling all that way to be met with 10 other jewellery stalls, handmade or not! Am still booked in for the Milton Rooms on the 6th Dec and Ilkley on the 13th, but not sure about the Milton Rooms at the moment as it was dead when I did it before. Will see what happens!

How about you? Any others done/booked?
        Etsy - Folksy - BLOG

Comment

Hi sillyoldbear, I had those thoughts with Yorkshire fairs too. Too much bought in stuff for my liking.
          Have a look on ukcraftfairs.com they list quite a lot of fairs. Just keep your eyes peeled for small ads in the paper about upcoming events. Also events link on the northern echo has a few listed.
          Sue
          www.artbysusanjefferson.co.uk

Twitter @suecreative

Comment

We have also given up on Yorkshire fairs too expensive not enough sales and too much bought in or of the same stuff
            My hats can be seen in my album

Comment

I haven't booked any more fairs. I would like to do a fair before Halloween as I have recently made some halloween decorations and also Christmas as I think a lot of my projects are gift based. We'll see!

Thanks Squiggly sue I will have a look at UKcraftfairs.com!

Battle on folks!

Sharon
              Sharon

Comment

Hiya
                Hope you don't mind me butting in but every Sunday there's a craft fair on the bridge over Jesmond Dene.

there's always people wandering over there too as it's well known.

might be worth you having a trot over and seeing whats what

Comment

Originally posted by CeeGee View Post
                  Hiya, things are good thanks! I cancelled all the fairs I had booked in Yorkshire apart from the December ones - it wasn't worth travelling all that way to be met with 10 other jewellery stalls, handmade or not! Am still booked in for the Milton Rooms on the 6th Dec and Ilkley on the 13th, but not sure about the Milton Rooms at the moment as it was dead when I did it before. Will see what happens!

How about you? Any others done/booked?

Hi. I did a fair at Ilkley last year. mid December. we were frozen silly all day and the whole fair only had around 24 visitors all day. needless to say I didn't sell a thing and wont be going back.

Can't remember who I booked with but it wasn't yorkshire fairs.

Sorry if I've put a dampner on things,
                  Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

Originally posted by Traceyf View Post
                    Hiya
                    Hope you don't mind me butting in but every Sunday there's a craft fair on the bridge over Jesmond Dene.

there's always people wandering over there too as it's well known.

might be worth you having a trot over and seeing whats what

Yes, I know about this market it's on Armstrong Bridge, the waiting list is long and the charge for having a plot on the bridge is quite expensive (it was about a couple of hundred pounds when I last checked)! I asked about it a while back.

Thanks for your comment!
                    Sharon

Comment

christmas Market in Newcastle

Have a look at the Newcastle City Council Website

and search Christmas Markets

Hope this helps
                      Julie
                      www.buzzybeads.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Lilac Moon Designs View Post
                        Hi. I did a fair at Ilkley last year. mid December. we were frozen silly all day and the whole fair only had around 24 visitors all day. needless to say I didn't sell a thing and wont be going back.

Can't remember who I booked with but it wasn't yorkshire fairs.

Sorry if I've put a dampner on things,
                        Thanks for the tip Hils - I think I need to investigate further! Will start another thread and see if anyone can recommend it or not.
                        Etsy - Folksy - BLOG

Comment

Hi,

I came on here looking for tyne and wear fairs and found this thread which had less info than i knew already so i figured i'd fill in everything i know.

Markets in Newcastle Upon Tyne:

Quayside Market: 2 types of stalls, pre-booked or just turn up, you'll need insurance though. Very busy lots of tourists - outdoors though so not good in bad weather.

Grainger Market Arts and Crafts: Indoors in central newcastle. 2nd Saturday of the month. Pre-booked call the council. Not so busy although some folks do very well there.

Armstrong Bridge: Every Sunday but you buy the license for a WHOLE year! Cheap if you go every week but outdoors, very quiet in the rain. The year I spent there the only person doing well was the ice cream/tea/coffee van.

Christmas Markets: Central Newcastle in December. Brilliant Market very busy but with a high price tag. Pre-booked (months beforehand) call the council. I guess they get a lot of applications as I've only managed to get a stall there once in the past 4 years. Was great though!

Star and Shadow Market: In byker? I've never been so can't comment.

Markets in newcastle are mainly run by the council - they are very fussy about who they give stalls to, stuff must be hand-produced in the local area and they need a good balance etc. (the exception being the quayside where i think anyone can turn up) They can also be pricey and often just don't reply to applications when you have been rejected for a stall. Contact the markets department in newcastle for more info they're very helpful.

Other Markets in Tyne and Wear:

Tynemouth Metro Station Market: Weekends. Well established market, busier in summer. outdoors but under the metro station roof so generally sheltered. Run by Junction fairs. They have a website. Pre-booked there's a phone number to telephone, information at the market ask at the stall behind the guy selling tea and coffee. They like to keep a good balance but small craft stalls usually seem available if you phone in advance.

South Shields Market: Outdoors. Weekends. Well established market and very busy. I think it's run by the council.

Bede's World: They have occasional craft markets at Bede's world. See their website for details.

Farmers Markets: There are farmers markets around Newcastle and Northumbria. They mostly take hand produced crafts as well as food. (though I confess the only crafts I've seen there are the mirror people) they have a website I seem to recall seeing a while ago with contact details.

Heritage/National Trust properties etc: I've seen craft markets advertised in various properties, often around christmas. Souter lighthouse has one that was mentioned I think. I did one at Belsay Hall that was quite busy with visitors but none of the crafts seemed to be selling very well. Try searching on the national trust site and contact the properties involved.

Schools/Colleges: A lot of people have mentioned craft markets at local schools to me. The private schools often seem to run them but I haven't any clue how you get a stall at one. Sometimes the proceeds are for charity but some simply charge you for a stall and you keep the profits. There is a Christmas Market at Kirkley Hall in Northumberland that is well attended and brillant for sales.

Metro Centre: I think they have occasional craft markets inside the metrocentre. Someone who had been there told me to contact the metrocentre about them.

North Shields Victorian Christmas: Very busy, outdoors in december so the weather can be terrible. Brillant for sales though. They have a website with more details.

Darlington: I understand there is a regular very popular arts and crafts market in darlington but I don't know anything more about it??

Durham: I've heard durham's markets are popular and that there is a busy christmas market next to the cathedral. I think you need to contact durham council.

I hope this has been helpful to some people.

This is mainly stuff I've pcked up from doing the rounds of markets and talking to other traders. If you're wondering about a market go to your local one and talk to craft traders there, ask them where else they go and who to contact. Most traders will be very helpful and friendly.

Good luck!

portfolio: www.suzielda.co.uk

buy online: www.mooart.com

Comment

Oh I forgot Hexham Markets - also very well established and busy!

portfolio: www.suzielda.co.uk

buy online: www.mooart.com

Comment

Working...
                            X