from one organiser to another

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• from one organiser to another

Hi - just had a craft fair today and wondering ... have any of you organisers encountered stall holders that make you feel (1) like poo and (2) incredibly indignant?

and i think i am qute a nice person really - please back me up anyone that comes to my fairs!!

oh dear....
    Diane
    www.artsandcraftsinthepeak.co.uk

Oh dear! what happened??

I'm organising my first event so I'm hoping my stallholders will be lovely people because I don't do nasty!! I tend to squeal like a baby piggy and cry!!!
    Carrie xx

Comment

After meeting you yesterday i think you are a very nice person !!

Looking forward to the next fair !!

Sara x
      allabouteden blog

fromthehandsofkittyeden

my folksy shop

Comment

Hi Diane. How sad that you had such a miserable experience. I am sure that you put a lot of work into your fair so to be treated badly is most unfair. I don't know what their problem was but there are ways of handling things that don't have to include rudeness. Every stallholder has good and bad days but that doesn't have to be the organiser's fault and if they do have a complaint or suggestion it could be made without making that organiser feel bad in a personal way.
        www.littlebead.blogspot.com
        www.twitter.com/littlebead

Comment

Originally posted by saraeden View Post
          After meeting you yesterday i think you are a very nice person !!

Looking forward to the next fair !!

Sara x
          Thank you Sara
          Diane

Comment

[quote=craftycarrie;113649]Oh dear! what happened??

quote]

well, the guy turned up (after failing to turn up to the previous fair), saw the 6ft table, said he wouldn't be able to do much with that, he has paintings to exhibit, blah blah, so I looked at him agog, and said that is the standard table, which all the other stall holders get. Anyway... I trotted back off into the kitchen, he then followed, gave me the money (for last time as well I'm pleased to say!) and said he wasn't going to waste my time, he was leaving.

When I asked him (cos i was a bit shocked), he said again, with this pained look on his face, he couldn't do anything with that space, blah blah blah.

He left, and another stall holder then came in and said there was somebody effing and jeffing outside, not very happy and at all - and claiming 'that was a (can't write what he said) waste of time.'

well... i still feel a little astounded, then indignant, then horrible, then astounded!
            Diane

Comment

Originally posted by janetdc View Post
              Hi Diane. How sad that you had such a miserable experience. I am sure that you put a lot of work into your fair so to be treated badly is most unfair. I don't know what their problem was but there are ways of handling things that don't have to include rudeness. Every stallholder has good and bad days but that doesn't have to be the organiser's fault and if they do have a complaint or suggestion it could be made without making that organiser feel bad in a personal way.
              Hi Janet, thanks for your kind words of support. I do put a lot of work into my fairs, and I don't think this person in particular appreciates that at all. Well, I've explained what happend on Sunday in the thread, so you can see what what the 'problem' was. I don't know what you make of this?!
              Diane

Comment

Yes I read what happened and I think you are lucky that you won't have to put up with him in future! I'm sure that you, like all other organisers, would have made clear the dimensions of the stall so the onus is on him as to whether it is suitable for his needs. To be honest I think he just made himself look and sound stupid.
                www.littlebead.blogspot.com
                www.twitter.com/littlebead

Comment

yes i knowwhat you mean, you just can't please everyone.

Comment

It certainly isn't your fault. He sounds as if he expected a art gallery display or exhibition space at a craft fair, which I have never seen. He has obviously taken the 'I am an artist' phrase to heart, a right little diva.
                    If he had been more polite and discussed it with you first you may have been able to sort something out between you but with that attitude I can't see that he would have been happy with anything.
                    At least he gave you the money before he stomped off, and thankfully you won't be seeing him again.

The bad karma will come round and get him at some point.

Melanie

Comment

Well I hope you explained the difference between a craft fair organiser and a psychic and pointed him in the direction of some literacy classes, as he obviously wasn't able to read what size of stall he would be getting for his money!! What a horrid experience, it's probably just as well that he cleared off as you really don't need that type of person spoiling it for everyone else.
                      Jayne

"One must have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star."

Comment

Yes, you've all summed him up pretty well! And I do tell me stall holders the size of table. He's previously taken advantage of space when it has been possible to. In this case it was impossible for him to take this advantage. And I did say to him the last time he was at a fair, that for the space he had taken up I should be charging him double. I thought that had made it clear to him, but obviously not.

And yes Janet, I really think he has showed himself up in front of everybody.

And I mean, I charge £10 for a stall!!!!!!!!!

oh, you're all so nice...
                        Diane

Comment

Hi Diane,
                          I woulldn't let him get to you. He sounds like a very rude, childish man who should have read the event details properly when he booked. He should have his own display equipment and prepare for events properly. I organised a fundraising event just before Christmas and had a bad experience with a horrible man who was really unpleasant about the whole booking process and then didn't turn up on the night. I left a big sign with his company name and apologies for his non-attendance on the table where he should have been so everyone knew he'd let the charity down. Some people are just rude and not worth wasting time or worry on.

I think you're nice anyway!
                          Gail.
                          http://www.stallfinder.com
                          Twitter http://www.twitter.com/stallfinder

Comment

he booked a 6ft table, paid for a 6ft table and got a 6ft table...if he didn't want a 6ft table then he shouldn't have booked one DUH! It's his responsibility to figure out how to display his products and whether the options available are suitable BEFORE he books them, not turn up on the day hoping he can get something better and throw a strop if he can't. He won't do very well if he takes that attitude with every event organiser.
                            http://www.craftynclothy.com

http://www.folksy.com/shops/craftynclothy

http://craftynclothy.blogspot.com/

Comment

I agree with all these comments, not your fault at all. He would have known how big the space is, at least he gave you the money though teehee - if he ever enquires about a stall again, at least you can have the satisfaction of saying NO!

Visit my blog!
                              http://peggycrafts.blogspot.com/

www.peggycrafts.co.uk

Etsy shop:
                              www.peggycrafts.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                              X