Craft Fair Charges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craft Fair Charges

Could someone give me an idea how much I should be looking at paying out to have a 2x2 stand at a craft fair & explain the whole footfall stat? Is there some formula linked with it that gives an idea about how much a fair expects to generate? Hope my question isn't too naive! thanks

2 x 2 is very very small. What are you selling? Normal table size would be 6 foot x 2, 3 or 4 and the price varies considerably by the venue, the type of event etc etc. It is also an individual decision as to whether a price is fair or not as it makes a difference if you are selling items at £1 or £2 as opposed to £15 plus. You also need to have some idea of what "traffic" is expected at any event - a lot of which is trial and error. The same event two years running can have a completely different number/type of people through the doors and you cannot guarantee anything. Let us know what you are selling and we might be able to help morel
    Cynthia
    http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

I assume you are talking of a 2 metre x 2 metre space.
      As B&B has said it varies a lot. A local fete may charge £10, a craft fair £15-£20, a town market £30-£60 and a large show £100+.

Melanie

Comment

Sorry, yes I did mean a 2mx2m table. I will be selling my handmade Christmas decorations & soft furnishings. The events I am looking at applying for are large craft fairs.

Comment

I am exhibiting at a very large christmas show, its a four day one and am paying well over £200 for it. They also charge extra for electric and various other things so be warned, your costs can easily spiral out of control !!!.
          by Nicki
          www.bynicki.co.uk

Home Decorations & Gifts with Country Style

Comment

Originally posted by bright&beautiful View Post
            Sorry, yes I did mean a 2mx2m table. I will be selling my handmade Christmas decorations & soft furnishings. The events I am looking at applying for are large craft fairs.
            Oops sorry - you can tell my age as I still think in feet and inches!!!!!!!!!
            Cynthia
            http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

I have exhibited at large and small fairs in the past (£200+) and have now made a decision to only attend smaller craft fairs (£10 - £15), due to the cost. Some would say this is negative but I have attended too many where the cost to the stall holder is large along with the admittance fee to the public. Needless to say I have done better at the smaller ones and I have always felt more relaxed this way as customers seem to spend more time getting to know you as a maker.
              I know someone out there would say you have got to think big but with the current climate this is not an option for me as anything I earn is my only income and if I don't sell I cannot pay out in rent.
              Good luck with your fair and I really hope it goes well for you.

Comment

The most I have paid for a stall so far is £30, this was for a very nice venue in a good area and I almost tripled my fee. That said I have also paid half that amount and taken quite a bit more. I think its a case of 'you pays your money, you takes your chances' especially in the current climate you just cannot tell. You might have a terrible day and the stall next to you sells out!! Selina

Comment

Thanks for all your thoughts. I have only done medium/small fairs so far which have all been really successful, I now have the opportunity of my first biggie & am negotiating a fee for a 2x2 pitch & have no idea what I should be looking at.

Comment

Just found out the footfall last year was 9000, it's a 4 day event

Comment

We started out doing craft fairs 8 or 9 years ago and it seems that nothing much has changed since then. Regardless of the cost of the fair (some were small local ones and others we paid up to £400 for) it was always hit and miss.

We then moved on to supplying shops and started doing Trade Shows (around £4,000 to £6000 per show ) ... again the same thing applied.

One thing is always certain with these shows ... the organisers are always the ones to make profit!!

With economic climate the way it is, although we still supply shops as our main business, we have started doing fairs again at the weekends and as I said, nothing much has changed ... apart from the fact that people are generally spending less.

We have made a descision not to pay more than £150 for a stand ... that way we are fairly certain we will make a profit. If you are going to take a gamble on a bigger fair, then you need to look at it as just that ... a gamble ... make sure though that you can afford the gamble is all I would say.

The biggest gamble for us was a few years ago when we paid £8000 for a stand at the Country Living Magazine Spring Fair in Islington. We took around £3500 ... needless to say ... NEVER AGAIN!!

It's also about finding your target market which unfortunately is trial and error too. For us, we have done 3 Vintage Steam Rally's in different areas of the country (just to determine whether location was an issue) ... we now know that the average person who attends a Steam Rally is over 50, unlikely to even look at our products and loves buying from car boots and jumbles!!

Footfall is irrelevant if there are 50'000 people passing your stand who are not your target customer.

Hope this helps and Good Luck ~x~
                      Denise
                      Tilly Ba Lou ~x~
                      http://www.tillybalou.com

Comment

Thanks that's really helpful...........now I have a big decision to make. And I've just discovered I don't do decisions!!

Comment

Originally posted by bright&beautiful View Post
                          Thanks that's really helpful...........now I have a big decision to make. And I've just discovered I don't do decisions!!
                          I used to be indecisive too but now I'm not so sure.

Si.
                          Wood Tattoos
                          Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
                          Facebook
                          Flickr
                          Twitter

Comment

It may help if you do a bit of research.
                            Do the organizers have a website? If so, do they organize any other fairs and is there any chance for you to go to one before your event. Do they have a list of sellers, could you contact any them direct to find out if they have done these fairs berfore and whether they were good or not? Can you find any advertising for this fair either on the net or locally / in magazines, newspapers etc. - lack of advertising can kill an event. Are there any big events in the area on the same days or weekend that will either bring people into the area or take them away. Is the venue easy to get to, and not dependent on the weather i.e. not outside. If you sell your average amount will it cover the cost of the stall? and finally, what sort of general area is the fair held in, posh houses and expensive shops or council estates and charity shops.( not a slur on anyone here - but it will make a difference).

Melanie

Comment

Yes, I've done all the research I can re area, venue, organiser & I've spent the last couple of days contacting sellers from the last event to get their opinions too. It's just the cost that's so prohibitive really that makes it such a gamble. It is a good opportunity but perhaps too much risk when things are going so well at the smaller events.

Comment

Working...
                              X