Becoming a craft fair organiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming a craft fair organiser

Does anyone know of any links or information as to how to become a craft fair organiser, such as what is required etc.

I am based on the Surrey, Sussex and Hampshire borders and am having problems finding reasonable fairs for this year.

I would be happy to start a co-operative with like minded individuals selling quality hand crafted items preferably on a regular basis. I spe******e in vintage/shabby chic gifts and cards. My items are usually one of a kind.

Jules from Appletree Crafts is an events organiser too. Give her a PM I am sure she will be able to help she is a very nice helpful lady.

HTH.

Cheers.

Lisa

Bowed Over
    Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
    www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Hi,

I've sent you a PM.

Fair Do

Fair Do's!

Comment

I must give you a word of advice if you are organising a Craft fair. When you print your application forms, make sure you put on a Disclaimer, saying the Organiser is not responsible for the footfall, and products sold on the day, and in my case one for bad weather. This will cover you afterwards, in case you get disgruntled stallholders moan about you on the forum,because for one reason or another they have not made any sales that day, because the Organiser is not responsible for people putting their hand in their pockets to spend. This little bit of advice, is essential if you want to be a successful Organiser, Jane

Comment

HI Carol. Just wanted to wish you good luck with your new venture.

I was going to write loads but then thought better of it.. cos I started to ramble and we can all do without my rambling..
          Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

Hi Caroline

Count me in - let me know if there is anything I can do to help this get off the ground. in the meantime will do some checking around for guidance on event organisation.

Jill
            One craft project, like one cookie, is never enough!

http://christmaspiecrafts.blogspot.com/
            Twitter: @jillspain
            http://www.etsy.com/shop/ChristmasPieCrafts

Comment

Just did a quick internet search and found the following:

http://www.craftfairsandevents.com/CraftOrganisers.html (although on checking only seems to relate to 2009, but the info may be of use)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...d.php?t=373611 (might be something worth keeping in mind in here)

Jill

Comment

Perhaps I should mention the date of this thread folk.????
                Carol
                God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Oh blige - er, er, oops

Jill

Comment

Originally posted by JKS View Post
                    Oh blige - er, er, oops

Jill
                    Haha. So easily done.
                    Carol

Comment

oops there we go again........ Mr Mod!... cant old threads be made read only??????????
                      Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

I have replied to you on your new thread.
                        Carol

Comment

I organise events and it is something that I really enjoy. I love to look after my stallholders by giving out free fruit in the morning and a free lunch. I feel that it is very important to be a good host - afterall, I invited them!
                          However, there are a few points that you should know before you go full throttle and begin organising events.
                          1) You'll need about £2000 in your bank account before you start and be prepared to no get it back for a long time. Why? Booking venues, paying upfront for tables, chairs, marquees, advertising, insurance, licences etc. In the early days the money just flies out.
                          2) When money comes in from each stallholder, bank it but don't touch it. You haven't actually earnt it until the event has been completed. You will also need alot of this money to organise the next fair - Also, if something dreadful happens and the fair gets cancelled - you have to give the money back.
                          3) On the day, I always feel like I should wear a T-Shirt say 'I am the one who gets shouted at'. No matter what you do and how well you do it, there will always be someone who is not happy. This ranges from they don't like where their table is to footfall to advertising to arguments with other stallholders, to the weather, to the venue, to the position of the trees on the local park..... The problem is, one single disgruntled stallholder can set the others off and before you know it, you've got a lynch mob after you. SOrt out someones moans before they spread. If they are truley not happy it is better to give them them a refund and get them out of the venue.
                          4) Stay all day! Don't just settle your stallholders in and then beggar off. Do an hourly round of your stallholders to make sure they are okay. Make sure you can approach you at all times.
                          5) Organising events is VERY TIME CONSUMING! The week before the event I seldom have aa full nigts sleep. If you have a plan of the stalls and where everyone is going to go, be prepared to re-write it time and time again as people decide that they don't like were they have been put or change their minds about inside or outside or put in a last minute request for extra tables or want to be nex to their friend etc. There is always the time that you need to spend in meetings with venues, time making sure all you paperwork is in order, banking and doing your accounts, producing artwork for adverts, posters etc
                          6) Have a cut off point for stallholders. In the past I have been taking bookings on the night before the event - never again! You need a clear four days before the event to finish all the organisation.
                          7) If you are having a stall - give yourself the worst position at the venue. Your customers have paid for their pitch but you haven't. Make sure you have got staff to look after your stall because you will be too busy.
                          8) Make sure you ave your First Aid qualification. I organised an event once and a man had a heart attack. I had to give resus whilst waiting for the Ambulance, it was awful but he did survive.
                          9) You'll need a minimum of 5 million pounds of insurance. Be aware of other legalities such as the need for entertainment licences if you want music, the need for a food hygiene ceetificate if you are serving food.
                          10) Prepare to not make any profit or make very little profit. I usually make about £5 per stallholder - but when you consider ow many hours I work to organise the event, I think I work for about 15p and hour for an event with 25 stallholders lol

So, there it is, warts and all - it's a labour of love but someones gotta do it lol
                          Good luck, Babes
                          POPPY LONG STOCKING EVENTS MANAGEMENT

www.poppylongstocking.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                          X