The worst craft fair in history!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The worst craft fair in history!!

I've been to some pretty lousy craft shows in my time but yesterday really took the biscuit!!
    We have a huge agricultural college nearby and every year they host a day called the town and country day. I went last year and the weather was so hot that people just walked into the marquee and were hit by such heat that they turned and walked out. When we had arrived the tables were just dumped in the middle and you took one and set up yourself. I was in too minds whether to bother going again but I guess I thought it can't be worse..... Well I guess I thought wrong.
    It began to get worrying a few weeks ago when we discovered that the college had sold the event to a food company who promote yorkshire food. They then took over all advertising and crafts etc got no mention. A phone call or two later left us feeling confident that matters would be sorted so at 7am we rolled up and were sent miles through the college grounds to a small building at the back. it contained three classroom set up as classrooms! There was no official there, no indication of how many people would be coming, how they wanted to set up the room etc. For three quarters of an hour we sttod around waiting until anger erupted and we took matters into our own hand and cleared the rooms and allocted tables etc among ourselves. To be fair most of the stall holders were really lovely. we all mucked in together. There was one woman who just moved two tables into a place infront of the door. put her stuff on them and sat there watching the rest of us including a very elderly lady with arthritis who did her best to help. My friend who has been doing every craft show going told her that she would have to move and allocated her a table set up in the adjacent corner to me. All the stall were fairly spaced and positioned now but she still had to get a third table!! and covered it up with her cloths as the rest of us were bringing our stuff in. Anyway we went about setting up. other crafters kept arriving and soon it became obvious that there were not enough tables so as usual people who spare pasting tables etc lent them out. Overall it showed just how cooperative and kind people can be.
    We had to produce our own signs and stick them outside the venue to show where we were. The weather was freezing and so we had quite a crowd through, but they had not brought money for a craft show and were mainly browsers. about an hour into the show i started to smell a revolting smell. At first I put it down to being an agricultural college, but when people stood next to my stall and I could see them saying to one another whats that smell? I began to worry. I checked all over my stall but could not tell where it was coming from. I went and got my friends who also had stalls and they came over to see what was going on. It was the woman and her son who had now arrived with a dog. They really stank and it just got worse and worse as the day went on and then they started to row. It wasn't discreet!! it was full blown public. He was complaining that they hadn't sold anything. The only thing they did sell were chocolate covered apples on sticks....so goodness knows how the children of east yorkshire are suffering this morning!
    At the end of the day they left early and left food and cans and rubbish all over the place.
    Anyway if you are thinking this sounds like a disasterous day here is the worst part..... there were 28 stalls.... 8 of them were full jewellery stalls and 5 had jewellery and other products. Two of the jewellery stalls were ready mades. one claimed she made it all herself but I have seen whole sale sites selling the same amber products and she had no idea about techniques etc.
    By the time I got home I felt dreadful andhad a migraine. The smell was so overpoowering that everything on my stall has been washed this morning and my clothes are currently in the washer. I am not going next year and would not recomend it as a venue.
    And if you are still reading this you deserve a medal.
    Well that's my griping over.
    (on the good side though, I have had an email this morning from a lady who saw a piece of jewellery yesterday and had no money with her so there is light at the end of the tunnel!)
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Feel better???? getting that lot off your chest!!

I've had a few bad events but nothing that compares to what you describe. I hope you went and had a long hot soak with a nice wee vodka on the side, sounds like you needed it.

From here on in, it can only get better.

Comment

What a disaster! I've done one a couple of times where the tables and chairs were just dumped at one side and you had to collect and set up yourself, and the car park was half a mile away. At least there the pitches were in a very large marquee and marked out with white lines on the grass, but nothing like that.

It is appalling, and I am totally disgusted by it. A total lack of organisation, communication and advertising and very unprofessional. I think it requires a strongly worded letter to the "organisers" AND the principal of the college. It also needs word spreading around amongst crafters and on web sites.

I have also had dealings with this college and, in fact, tried to get a table at the same event. Their "couldn't care less" attitude and lack of communication prevented me from pursuing the matter after a couple of attempts to contact them and I'm glad it did. I've also had previous dealings with the college on other matters and they were just as bad at communication then. It surprises me that they manage to keep going and goodness only knows how they have managed to achieve the reputation they have amongst those who don't know.

At least you got one contact and a possible order from it. You never know, she may well recommend you to her family and friends.

Comment

Sounds dreadful. Its such a let down when you've invested so much time and effort to these things.
        craftcellar.co.uk
        facebook.com/craftcellar
        twitter.com/craftcellar

Comment

Urgh, sounds horrific.
          Those smelly people sounded like pikey mingers.Their dog probably smelt better.

Glad you got an email from an interested party.
          https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

Hi there , I've just joined the forum today !
            Yours was the first message I read .............Aaargh ! I've been to few disasters myself, that's why I've decided to organise a fair in my local area myself ! Although I've organised events before, your message has shown me how not to go about it and hilighted what should take priority.
            Thanks very much - I hope things have got better over the summer.
            Cardweeval x

Comment

How dare they !

Just read you post and I can't believe the rubbish some venues think they can offer to exhibitors and expect them to come back again.

Good on you lasting the day..I probably would have packed up and gone well before you especially when the smell started! Some people are revolting.

Anice x
              Funkyhand x
              my website
              http://www.funkyhand.com
              my blog (updated 09/06/10)
              http://funkyhand.blogspot.com/
              Follow me on Twitter
              http://twitter.com/funkyhand

Comment

OMG. That sounds terrible. It only takes a bar of soap so I don`t undertand why people can`t keep clean.

I really hope you have a better day today. Glad to hear the lady without cash on the day has got intouch.

I have a fair tomorrow. I`m not ready (but I never am!) .

Clare

Comment

This is a very old thread, but I must say I have enjoyed reading it. Sounds like the day from hell, hopefully things have improved for you since then! Not sure what post #8 means, Selina

Comment

Falty Towers Craft Fair!!

Hi! Poor You!! What an awful experience!! Can you try to get your money back? Your descriptions were so good that I had a little giggle even though it can't have been funny at the time. It sounded like the venue was at Falty Towers!
                    Hope you can erase it all from your memory and enjoy the next one you do, hopefully with better results!! Lets just hope Smelly Couple don't turn up to the next one!!Hope today is a better day for you! Sue.
                    http://susieQinblogland.blogspot.com

Comment

Yikes

God that does sound pretty bad. Sorry you had such a poop day.

Hardly an advert for great Yorkshire food is it?! I'm surprised people felt an urge to buy food from them!

I hate it when people try to pass off ready made stuff as their own. It complete demeans your own hard work.

Time for a relaxing bath with a glass of wine me thinks...
                      Yvonne
                      x

My website: www.mymiyel.com
                      My blog: www.mymiyel.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Seahorse View Post
                        Urgh, sounds horrific.
                        Those smelly people sounded like pikey mingers.Their dog probably smelt better.
                        Hee hee. T hat made me laugh.
                        Yvonne
                        x

Comment

Originally posted by Selina View Post
                          This is a very old thread, but I must say I have enjoyed reading it. Sounds like the day from hell, hopefully things have improved for you since then! Not sure what post #8 means, Selina
                          I was just thinkin the same thing.

And I've only just realised how old the thread is. Ah well, always was a bit slow.
                          Yvonne
                          x

Comment

brought back some memories though. and yes the woman with no money did get back to me and has been back several times since then!!
                            full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Lol

I Think the answer is down to who organise it, alot of people organise things who dont have a clue what a craft fair really is, hense Jumble Sales which are advertised as fairs.

Things can only get better

Thanks
                              Simon

www.acraftypair.co.uk (Decoupage & Scrapbooking)
                              www.hidden-treasures-uk.com/shop/

Comment

Working...
                              X