future craft fairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• future craft fairs

As a result of the current virus, all craft fairs have been cancelled, along with an enormous number of other events. Just stuck at home pondering, but once it all settles down, and we can recommence having stalls at craft fairs, are they going to have to be operated under very different rules.
    I find it difficult to envisage a craft fair, whilst there are still social distancing rules in place - a very likely possibility for the foreseeable future. How will we be able to keep people 2m apart, especially at the larger, popular events. Also, would we now have to shield our display items, to prevent many visitors touching the same items on the table. I have always encouraged visitors to my stall, to touch the items on display, so this would be a major change for me. It would be impossible for me to clean the items between visitors, so prevention is the only option. Physically, i am capable of making an effective shield for my table, and it would not be too difficult. However, the display options across all the fantastic displays we see, are many and varied, so a generic table shield will not be suitable for everybody. Us crafters would have to get even more creative to provide an effective shield for the huge variety of goods on show from the different crafters.
    As I have said, we are dealing with a hypothetical case, as nobody has any idea how this thing will play out, and for how long. it would be lovely to say that things are getting back to normal - it just depends on what the new normal will be. Stay safe folks. Regards John

I can't see events getting going again until social distancing is not longer required. The whole point of Craft events is for the client to be able to see and touch the items or they may as well just buy on line.

Mo.XX
    Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
    Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
    www.bodrighy.co.uk
    https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Hi Mo. I think you are right. I suspect that nothing will happen until the social distancing is no longer required. Especially at the larger events, you would need an awful lot of people to police it - an almost impossible task. I also love the idea that visitors can touch and feel my products. John

Comment

The Organiser we exhibit with have been able to reschedule two earlier events for mid / end of September so hoping that will be ok. If not as they say better save than sorry. Even if you could screen your stand you will still have to let clients handle the goods which rather negates the action. We only do the larger events so no way to filter people around, they like to wander, stop and start, retrace their steps etc.

We have just had to up our profile on social media and our Events Organiser has been amazing in supporting all the exhibitors, having an on line show, meet the makers and promoting everywhere.

Be positive just think how delighted the customers will be to be able to view and buy your work when this is all over. Hopefully we will have time to make up some of the losses in the run up to Christmas. Fingers crossed.

Mo.XX
        Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
        Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
        www.bodrighy.co.uk
        https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

The Craft fair that I attend also has a cafe in the same room, they aren’t opening to the gen pub until its completely clear. I’d be very surprised if organisers opened up due to social distancing and possible comebacks of duty of care to the public issues etc.

Dave.
          Last edited by 3dDave; 18-04-2020, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X