No announcement yet.

Stallholders, Craft Fairs and selling!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stallholders, Craft Fairs and selling!

Hello All,

I have just come back from a fab craft Fair in Southampton, I had lots of fun and the sun brought out peoples wallets!!

The only thing which put a black cloud over the event was the complaining from the other stall holders!! You know "we want to be here" "if you did it this way I would have made more sales" and other similar comments.

Now I am no expert but some very basic selling tips need to be shared as to why these people did not sell.
    Stand up and Smile, say hello and to those who come to your stand, then just start to chat about your products, the weather, children anything to engage the person looking.

Do not sit in your chair and completely ignore the world around you with a face like a wet weekend!!!! I observed on stand over the way from me the lady sat in the middle with about 4-5 people looking at her products. She did not once acknowledge them and they walked away, she lost about £40-£80 of sales by not engaging the public.

I am very sorry for the rant but I thought I'd share as people always ask me how I do so well.

So to leave you all with one last classic line... Smile and the world will smile with you!! and hopefully part with their cash!!

Ann

Ann - how I agree with you. There are always those who don't want to speak to you, but on the whole people respond really well to being spoken to and engaged in conversation. Certainly it is rude not even to acknowledge people in front of your stall. Do people really want to sell!!!! I was next to someone at one sale - it was a mix of gifts and crafts - and she sold one item and packed up early as "this is no good". I had a great evening, but then I did not arrive with a face like a wet week and an attitude to match!!!!
    Cynthia
    http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

I can't understand people like this. So far I've only done carboot sales but everyone who even looks in my direction gets a smile and a nice comment. Some who would have walked by have come over and even bought something. I'll be doing a couple of craft fairs this summer (my first) and I'll be doing everything in my power to get people over to my stall.......I won't be there for the fun of it, I'll be there to sell! Some people seem to think that customers should be blessed that they've shown up to sell something.
      www.corrigancards.com

A mind is like a parachute........it only functions when open

Comment

I completely agree with you both. You wonder why some people atctually bother to exhibit at fairs. The whole idea is that they are supposed to be doing something they enjoy. I find it just a great buzz to be meeting and chatting to people and sharing what I enjoy making and they always seem to respond well to that but you always get those who think they should make a fortune at every fair and nit pick at everything. These people always spoil it for everyone else.

Well, thats my rant for the night over now!!!
        by Nicki
        www.bynicki.co.uk

Home Decorations & Gifts with Country Style

Comment

Hi Ann,
          I agree - I think a smile and a friendly, welcoming manner goes a long way and I hate hearing stallholders moan too. I try never to have a set expectation of an event as so many variables can affect turnout, sales etc. I've also organised events and sometimes it's beyond your control if the event's a bit quiet or sales are low. I also think it's a bit rude to pack up early unless you really have to be somewhere else.
          Gail.
          http://www.stallfinder.com
          Twitter http://www.twitter.com/stallfinder

Comment

Hello Annoble.

I agree with everyone, I have only just started selling jewellery on our stall, the only way I can exhibit them is by large frames on an easel,
            The rest of the tables are taken up with our trees.

The first thing we do is move out of the way so they have a clear view of everything, if someone looks at the jewellery I say if there is anything you would like to try on please feel free then with a smile explain about the gem stone etc etc.
            JULIE

www.sacred-spirit-dreamcatchers.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by stallfinder View Post
              Hi Ann,
              I agree - I think a smile and a friendly, welcoming manner goes a long way and I hate hearing stallholders moan too. I try never to have a set expectation of an event as so many variables can affect turnout, sales etc. I've also organised events and sometimes it's beyond your control if the event's a bit quiet or sales are low. I also think it's a bit rude to pack up early unless you really have to be somewhere else.
              Gail.
              Absolutely - you can do the same event two years running and it will be completely different, but the fact is you are out in the market place and people get to know you and it is the chatting that helps this along. I have done fairs where I have done very little in sales, but I have done lots of talking (good excuse!) which has lead to sales afterwards which have been worth far more than I would have taken on the day. I think the thing is to enjoy the day - time to chat to customers, time to chat to other stall holders who are a fund of information and just getting known. I too think it is rude to pack up early - not fair on the organiser either, who can't be responsible for your bad day if you don't try to help yourself.
              Cynthia

Comment

Originally posted by Ifor-Jones View Post
                I too think it is rude to pack up early - not fair on the organiser either, who can't be responsible for your bad day if you don't try to help yourself.
                Completely agree with this, I never packed up early when I did craft fairs as I also felt it was incredibly off-putting for any customers wondering around to see stalls packing up, it made them feel as if they weren't meant to be there still. Besides, i often made the most sales in the last hour maybe cos customers knew they couldn't 'pop back later' that late on.
                Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

A smile costs nothing!!

My Mum tells me that a smile costs nothing.

Elaine

Comment

Hello again

Last Year I organised my first craft fayre I had 23 stalls, my hair went white in a few hours but had a great time all was happy bar one there is always one is there not, thing was she was next to me.
                    She moaned all day about how much it has cost her to park the car, she moaned about not selling anything she packed up early to, needless to say she was not invited to my next in July.

I found it was great to talk to everyone about our and there products, I even had a woman who made Faberge Eggs boy do I wish I was that talented they were fantastic.
                    JULIE

www.sacred-spirit-dreamcatchers.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by elaine50 View Post
                      My Mum tells me that a smile costs nothing.

Elaine
                      and your Mum was right!
                      Cynthia

Comment

Originally posted by jcm View Post
                        Hello again

Last Year I organised my first craft fayre I had 23 stalls, my hair went white in a few hours but had a great time all was happy bar one there is always one is there not, thing was she was next to me.
                        She moaned all day about how much it has cost her to park the car, she moaned about not selling anything she packed up early to, needless to say she was not invited to my next in July.

I found it was great to talk to everyone about our and there products, I even had a woman who made Faberge Eggs boy do I wish I was that talented they were fantastic.
                        That's the point isn't it - if you behalf like that you will not be asked back, if you pay your fee but don't turn up on the day without an explanation, you will not be asked back, if you detract from the happy atmosphere the organiser is trying to achieve, you won't be asked back. Not good business sense is it?!
                        Cynthia

Comment

Agree with everyone on here a smile costs nothing. I think that you have to go with a positive attitude or don't bother going at all.

I am always a bit apprehensive with new venues but always introduce myself to the people on other sides of me. Start off the day with lot's of "Good Mornings" to your fellow stall holders and be cheery.

I always look for the good things to come out of each situation .
                          Last week I did a fair and at that I met two new organisers who asked me to attend the forthcoming events which I am going to do.

Met lots of new custumers and sold a shoe that going to a racing yard in Kentucky with the promise they ever have The Kentucky Derby winner they will send me the horseshoe.

I get really fed up with the moaners cos they are always the ones who growl at the custumers and the whinge about not selling anything and I wouldn't be a craft events orginiser for all the tea in China.

Anyway that's my wee rant over too

Janice x
                          www.freewebs.com/clipclophorseshoes

Comment

I'm with you all the way Ann ...anyway, the main thing is that you had a good day ...don't let the 'moaners' grind you down ...it's you that the visitors will warm to, not them.

Regards.
                            Fair Do

Fair Do's!

Comment

Hi Thank you all for your replies, I feel like I opened a big can of worms!!!!

It seems we all have had the same experience's, if only we could all get together it would be the best craft fair ever!

I went and did another Art and design fair today, my feet no longer wish to be attached to my body, still I had another good day. Finally people are spending money again, I have diversified and added different products and it seems to have worked.

Hope you all have a good bank holiday!

Ann

Comment

Working...
                              X