Just booked my first craft fair!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just booked my first craft fair!

Hi I've just booked a jewellery stall for my first craft fair which is in June, so plenty of time to prepare but I was just wondering if anyone could give me any helpful tips.

I have read loads of the threads on here and have started to get a list together of everything I need to take on the day but as this is a craft fair attached to another event which will be quite family orientated I wasn't sure whether I should concentrate on making a particular type of jewellery that would sell well in this situation as I know people don't always take a lot of cash with them.

Also is it sensible to accept cheques at these events and what info should you take off the customers when accepting cheques.

I also make bridal jewellery but it isn't a bridal event so should i take all of this with me as well or might it stop my other jewellery from selling?

Any tips would be gratefully received, thanks!
    www.sparklehandmadejewellery.co.uk

Firstly, , Its fab here!!

Ok, questions- bridal jewellery, do you have a portfolio you can take, with photos, descriptions, testamonials etc you could take and maybe a few samples?

i always have a sign saying handmade jewellery and bridal accessories etc.

I only take cheques with a valid guarantee card, but you need to be really careful to check all info and write it on back of cheque, I also add name and address of customer.

(I would ask for ID and a reference if i could!!)

seriously, Im sure there are others who can give you more info about this,

Ive only ever taken one cheque!

i always take small items such a s phone charms, bag charms etc which are quite cheap and sell really well.
    hope that helps a bit. LMK if you'd like more info.
    With love
    Em
    xx

www.pixiedoodles.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/pixiedoodles1
    http://twitter.com/ pixiedoodles

Comment

Originally posted by beadstudio View Post
      Ok, questions- bridal jewellery, do you have a portfolio you can take, with photos, descriptions, testamonials etc you could take and maybe a few samples?
      Hi I don't have a portfolio but I do have tiara samples as I've only just started selling my jewellery so I haven't got that far yet.

The only thought I did have was to load all my pictures on to my lap tap and have a slide show available if people wanted more info on the bridal side.

Comment

Hiya. [:

Why don't you make up some leaflets with a bit of information about your bridal stuff, and your contact details etc, and then take one or two samples along with them?

Just a thought. [:
        www.thetrinketmonster.blogspot.com (:

Comment

Hi Karen,

Forgive me if this isn't your thing ...but if it's a family event something aimed at children might be popular. they can be very persuasive when they want something ...and it brings mum and dad over to look at your other pieces. Just a thought.

Very best of luck for the event.

Regards.
          Fair Do

Fair Do's!

Comment

Hi,
            a laptop slideshow is a great idea!

Im doing a family craft show tomorrow and we are going to be doing some bracelet making with the children, nothing to complicated.
            With love
            Em
            xx

www.pixiedoodles.co.uk
            www.facebook.com/pixiedoodles1
            http://twitter.com/ pixiedoodles

Comment

You'd be surprised at how much money some of the little ones are given to spend at these events. It is well worth making some cheaper brightly coloured bracelets and necklaces. Even if they only sell for two or three pounds each it all adds up and helps pay for the stall. If you are going to take a laptop make sure you are properly insured as it would be an expensive day if it gets broken or goes walkabout. Anyhow good luck, I'm sure you will have a fun day.
              www.littlebead.blogspot.com
              www.twitter.com/littlebead

Comment

Thanks for all of your help guys, it is actually quite nerve racking doing this, as I am sure most of you know. I am hoping that after my first fair my confidence will grow in what I make.

There is a lady I work with who also makes jewellery but her style is very different from mine and although she has been supportive you can tell she is not that impressed with what I do and it is really hard to keep remembering that (hopefully!) there are other people out there who like my style and will love my jewellery. I guess it is all about confidence!

Comment

Karen,

Hope it all goes well, tell us how you get on. I think a laptop slideshow is a brilliant idea.

Comment

Hi Karen,

Good luck with your first craft fair. I've only just started doing them myself this year. I also make jewellery. I really love the pieces I make, but am not very confident at promoting them. I've had a table at 3 craft fairs now and really enjoyed myself. I've even booked up my first jewellery party too, so it will be interesting to see how that one goes.

The slideshow on the laptop is an ace idea from beadstudio. Another idea is to use one of those digital picture frames. You can play a photo album on that and even play little movie clips/demos.

Good luck
                    Chloe's Designs
                    Bead & Findings Shop
                    Ebay Shop

Comment

good luck with your show,

we take cheques most people will write a card number on the back, if not make sure they put there name and address on the back and a contact number, thats all really you can do, What ever you do dont write the name on your laptop, i was informed at a show by a goverment worker who was browsing that i actually need a license to take peoples addresses and put them on a laptop, data protection act apparently.

Have fun at the fair, and i hope you make a good profit

Comment

Originally posted by photo-request View Post
                        good luck with your show,

we take cheques most people will write a card number on the back, if not make sure they put there name and address on the back and a contact number, thats all really you can do, What ever you do dont write the name on your laptop, i was informed at a show by a goverment worker who was browsing that i actually need a license to take peoples addresses and put them on a laptop, data protection act apparently.

Have fun at the fair, and i hope you make a good profit
                        Ooh! That's a good tip! Sue xx
                        http://susieQinblogland.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                        X