No announcement yet.

What kind of sewing machine do you use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of sewing machine do you use?

I have been thinking about getting on the sewing machine so that I can make my own way instead. I'm not looking for anything expensive or crazy, so I've been watching the best small laptop or desktop, but I have no idea what I'm seeing, haha. I just use my Hammocks wool, so you should be able to get through a few layers of wool.

Any contribution greatly appreciated!
    Furniture stores in NJ

Sewing is a hobby of mine. I start sewing with my singer Featherweight straight stitch machine. It was kind of a small table top, and it was a great machine for starter. The machine Preferred native wraps, but they sew much all the time
    my singer sewing machine

Comment

I use Janomes for all my sewing. TXL 607 for normal sewing, also includes a lot of embroidery stitches. 9200D for overlocking, a must for finishing seams and sewing knit fabrics for t shirts etc. 35E for embroidery, thinking of upgrading to a 500E. Embellisher for textile designs.

Every machine is different and you would be better going to one of the shows such as Stitches at Sandown, know they are also at the NEC and Westpoint. That way you can test and see what is best for you.

Comment

I have a fairly basic singer machine that cost around £100, I'm not a serious sewer but it works well for me.
        Lucy Blossom
        Shop and blog: http://www.lucyblossomcrafts.co.uk
        https://www.facebook.com/LucyBlossomCrafts

Comment

If you can't get - or don't want to wait - to one of the stitching shows, search out a sewing machine shop and go and talk to them. There are still some good independent stores out there with very knowledgeable assistants who will help you to choose the machine that is right for you.

Comment

I have two Janomes. One I paid quite a lot of money for and it does everything and the other is a little portable that cost £56 new and sews straight lines. I get most use out of that one oddly enough as I can cart it around with me. The moral of the story is that if you are just starting out and not sure which way to jump get a cheep one for starters, you can always move up the ladder like the rest of us when you have got the hang of everything.
            Carol
            God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Oh forgot I have the gem gold as well, like Carol that is a small machine but so easy for shows etc

Comment

I have a late 80s Singer with no fancy stitches. It has served me well. I am considering another one, with a few fancy stitches, but only because I am now moving into textile art and like the idea of having more stitches to modify the surface.

My old 'must have list' was decent weight and stability, straight stitch, zig zag, hem stitches, buttonhole, easy availability of spares, ability to do free hand embroidery (mine has a cover for the feed dogs, I may look for one that has a lever to drop them). This means you can buy a nicely built cheap, maybe second hand, machine.

Best advice is to go to a local shop that does repairs. They often sell refurbed machines and always give great advice. They are always delighted to discuss your choices, based on your probably scanty knowledge and sewing dreams

Have fun!
                Do not watch this space

Comment

​im new to this site and sewing machines got a crown point sza 700fl for basic sewing but it is very basic as only straight stitch presser foot with it at moment and no instructions with it no info on line so setting it up is trial and lots of errors and snapping of cotton and jamming of needle but hopefuly thing will get better and advice help and guidence would be great

Comment

Originally posted by scottishtommy View Post
                    ​im new to this site and sewing machines got a crown point sza 700fl for basic sewing but it is very basic as only straight stitch presser foot with it at moment and no instructions with it no info on line so setting it up is trial and lots of errors and snapping of cotton and jamming of needle but hopefuly thing will get better and advice help and guidence would be great
                    If you have a local shop which deals with sewing machines/fabrics etc it is quite possible they would be happy to give you advice on setting up and using your machine. Might be worth a look around and asking, otherwise see if there is a sewing club/circle anywhere near you - they're usually happy to help beginners and offer advice.

Linda

Comment

Would it be a good strategy to contact sewing shops/fabrics to see if they're willing to sell a sewing machine? I'm in the market for one and I'm not sure what's the best course of action to take.

Comment

Working...
                      X