Mr Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr Site

I've seen a few impressive sites built using Mr Site.

But just how easy is it to build a site, and then make changes when you have new stuff for sale or info to add to your site? Is uploading easy?

I'm using Macromedia 8 with Fireworks, and I cannot, just cannot, get my head around it. It's just overwhelmingly complicated and has actually driven me to tears, which takes some doing.

Opinions please!

Jules
    Apple Tree Crafts
    www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Hi Jules

I've got Mr Site and yes it really is very very easy. It is sort of like listing an item on Ebay, i.e. there are several templates to choose for the look of the site then you just go through and add things, like a shopping basket which is linked to Paypal, a gallery, pictures can sometimes be a bit of a faff but I've managed to get pics on and change them too so it's not too bad.

Once you buy the code to access Mr Site and start building your site you can be online literally in less than an hour. My site took about 3/4 weeks to get listed on Google and I'm now on quite a few major search engines apart from Yahoo (still waiting for that one).

Mr Site also has a really good forum for fellow Mr Siters and they are really helpful. This is a great place to find good links too.

If you decide to get one have a look on Ebay. They are £35 from Mr Site but you can get them cheaper on Ebay.

Have you had a look at www.mrsite.co.uk ? Some good info there.

This is one of my favourite MrS sites www.crystalgarden.co.uk (plus mine of course! )

Hope this is useful.
    Helen

www.littlesnuggler.co.uk
    Total warmth and comfort for your baby and toddler up to 3 years

Comment

Hey
      I too use Mr site and was fantastic for me to get my website up and runing quickly. Is very easy to use and instructions are simple to follow.
      Is perfect for me as i'm just starting out but think I might find it a bit restrictive at a later date. But would definately recommed. And as already said buy off ebay, think I saved about ten pound on mine.

Becky
      xx
      www.innocentbeads.com - Handmade Beaded Jewellery and Gifts.

Comment

Got to agree with you both, I've had a Mr Site site for 18 months now and its soooo very easy to use. Mine cost about £20 at first and then about £18. to renew it for another year.

I'd reccomend them to anyone!
        - A whole world of fluffy stuff.

Comment

Ask Mr Media - he will have an opinion on it and will be able to advise as to which are the best to use.
          Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
          My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
          My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

My site is a MrSite site. Started of using the templates, and had the basics of my site done in a day or so. It's good value for money and is great if you've no knowledge of html or building websites (like me). It's also really easy to tweek, but I did find that it sometimes took quite a while for the updates I did to be 'live'.

My only problem was the restrictions of the 'shop' function. I wasn't happy with the list format and using the templates, I couldn't figure out any other way to do it. My OH introduced me to Adobe Golive, set me up with a template or two (glad he did it and not me) and I now only use MrSite for the web hosting.

There are some REALLY good sites out there, built using the MrSite templates. I think the key is finding the template and layout that works for you and taking your time over it. Just cos the instructions say you can get a site up and running in a few hours doesn't mean you have to. Also be wary if the visitor/hit counter that they provide you with, as it includes every time you publish your site and check it.

Carol
            Sparklez.co.uk
            Handmade Jewellery

Comment

www.handmadeheaven.biz

i also use mrsite and have found it really helpful. i do know html and could build a site from scratch but i didnt want to spend hours building something when i could better use that time actually making glass! i think the best thing for me is that you can edit it from ANY computer. there are some things that are a little restrictive but generally i'm really happy with it & it's a good price too. you can edit the html code if you want to add something in mrsite doesnt provide so i would def recommend it
              Steph http://www.handmadeheaven.biz
              Contemporary, fun, funky fused glass gifts, art and jewellery

BLOG: http://glassygoodies.blogspot.com The life, times, work and waffle of a fused glass artist...

Comment

both my sites are with mr site, and its fab i think. you can do alot with it such as shopping carts and gallerys and password protected pages etc. Its great for people who dont know the first thing about builiding a website, and for people to 'test the water' so to speak with very little costs.

Its really easy to create your website to start with, and then its really easy to update them.

Good luck if you decide to buy it, and theres a forum over there if you ever get stuck and need any helpful hints and tips!
                my craft website - www.clarescraftycabin.co.uk
                new swap site - http://clarescraftycab.proboards81.com/index.cgi
                my dolls house miniatures site - www.claresminimansions.co.uk

Comment

Html....

...is my stumbling block. It's why I can't get my (simple) head around this Macromedia Dreamweaver 8....that is not a programme for beginners. And we won't talk about the £%*@!!&* Fireworks program that work with it....can't wait to get shot of those two.

I don't know if I can convert my webpublisher files to Mr Site, but I've bought it now so I see when it gets here.

Does anyone know if you can have more than one site runnng through Mr Site? I could do with one for my own crafts as well as one for the craft fairs. I should imagine it's possible, just need to pay extra for the second one.

Jules
                  Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

Things like mr site are great imho.. Its a great start to getting on the web..

Basically in life you get what you pay for..

Think of a site as a shop.. For a nice shop you need to pay.. for something basic and very limited then it cost less..

If you think of cars too it like all cars get you from A to B..

Btw fireworks is not a web design program.. Its designed for making banners..

Dreamweaver is what i've used since version 1.. (now v10)

Mr site is nice simple and cheap.. When you make some money then consider finding a web company like mine to make exactly what you need..

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
                    (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

So Far, So Good!

Spent the day building a new website, just the three of us, Himself, myself & Mr Site.

It's looking good, but pictures are proving to be fun and games....AOL hates Mr Site, and Internet Explorer isn't much better... but we'll get there with a little perserverence and and awful lot of cussing.

I need to make myself a head/banner type thingy now...will have to rope the daughter in to help!

Jules
                      Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

1 day to build a site..

As I mentioned before the effort you putin you know normally get out..

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
                        (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

*AOL hates Mr Site, and Internet Explorer isn't much better...*

I had that problem with Freewebs and Google, Freewebs uses frames, and google doesn't like frames. I put a site on My Shopify, which looks nice and simple, but I can't manipulate it as much as I want to, so I kept both! I've thought about having a 'proper' site, but at the moment I'm in transition from what I thought was good work (and wasn't anything special!) to proper beadweaving - only thing is, my domain registration will have run out by the time I make anything worth putting on site!

It's that awkward moment between spending money you haven't got, and staying with the freebie and hoping someone will buy something! Damn this artistic dilemma!!

Comment

I Too Have Two....

Today we decided that Apple Tree Craft Fairs was a better .com than just Apple Tree Fairs, for self explanatory reasons.

So now I think the best way forward is to shove a notice on Apple Tree Fairs site, saying we aren't there, but leaving the Spring Craft Fair details on site. Details for new events such as Taunton & Exeter will have been added to the new site.

After May we'll dump the old site, although this means we'll lose out on 21 months of registration. Still, was only about £5 for two years.

I quite like the Mr Site program, but I wish I could tweak the colours more...they're very limiting. Mr Media was right, you get what you pay for - but Mr Site is great for now.

Going to fiddle about with a banner this evening. Any ideas where to start?

Jules
                            Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

Can't you redirect the old domain you have until it expires, that way anybody coming to the site will get directed to the new one?

And i make my banners in Adobe Photoshop, is quite good in my opinion as you can 'feather' images into the background
                              my craft website - www.clarescraftycabin.co.uk
                              new swap site - http://clarescraftycab.proboards81.com/index.cgi
                              my dolls house miniatures site - www.claresminimansions.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X