Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• directing traffic from ebay to your own site

hi there,

I have been selling card making supplies on ebay for a few months now, and its going quite well, but i have my own website, with the same stuff on it, at cheaper postage (cos of the fees you have to pay to ebay) yet I haven't sold ONE thing off the website yet!! For anyone else who is in the same boat, did it take a long time for people to start buying from your own website? HAving read some other posts, i think i might go and check out ebid now....

any advice much appreciated!

Louise xx
    www.cleocrafts.co.uk
    for all your cardmaking supplies!

Ebay vs. website

I can't speak as a seller but as a buyer. I used to buy my craft supplies from ebay from one seller, but then she did her own website and now thats all I use. Like yours, it is cheaper to buy from her own site. Are you letting people that buy from your ebay site know that you have your own website? If not then you could include that info when you invoice (and state it's cheaper!) and also enclose details of your site on a printed invoice / label when you send the items.
    Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

I too can speak as a buyer - I bought some stuff off an Ebay seller then in the email to say it had been despatched he mentioned his own website so I bookmarked it and went to him direct the next time

Comment

thanks

thanks for the feedback, I must get some flyers printed to post in the packets - much appreciated
        www.cleocrafts.co.uk

Comment

hi

I dont know if the rules have changed or not as I dont really use Ebay anymore, but you used to be able to include your website address in the description, provided you sold the item at a cheaper price on Ebay than it was available on your own site. Presumably this means you would have to sell it at a fixed price, but as long as its at least a penny cheaper on Ebay then that is ok (or it used to be). Just do a search in Ebays help for website links or something......
          Liz

EA Cards and Crafts
          Huge choice of papercraft, jewellery and wedding products! Full papercrafts catalogue available.
          www.eacardsandcrafts.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by liz15a View Post
            hi

I dont know if the rules have changed or not as I dont really use Ebay anymore, but you used to be able to include your website address in the description, provided you sold the item at a cheaper price on Ebay than it was available on your own site. Presumably this means you would have to sell it at a fixed price, but as long as its at least a penny cheaper on Ebay then that is ok (or it used to be). Just do a search in Ebays help for website links or something......
            You are not allowed to insert a web address on your description page, that links to any of your products as the rules state that "you cannot encourage anyone to made off ebay transactions"
            You are however allowed an about me page where you can link to your sites and explain your other store site.
            full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

question for beadsbydesign...

Hi beads,

do you find the majority of your sales are through ebay, or through your own site?? (sorry for delay in replying, was away for the weekend!)

thanks,
              Louise x
              www.cleocrafts.co.uk

Comment

I sell on Ebay and always enclose an invoice and pricelist which has my website address on and email address (not up for selling on my website yet though, a work in progress ) As someone has already said, you can only put a link to your website on your ME page. I have had a few sales through email after they have previously bought from me on Ebay.

Getting your website known can be difficult, and the majority of my sales are still through Ebay.

Hope that helps a bit.
                Soaps and Stuff 'Handmade With Care' by Me
                http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Soap-and-Stuff

Comment

Before I had my shop and used to sell on ebay I had an online portfolio of pictures. On my item page on ebay i mentioned that I had a large portfolio and to message me if they wanted to view it. I had a fair few people ask and out of the people that asked I had about half that made purchases and a few came back a couple of times. Havne't sold on ebay since I've had my shop though so i wouldn't know!

As a buyer if someone has a website but are selling on ebay i usually buy from their website as its usually cheaper.
                  http://georgebee.etsy.com/

Comment

Hi
                    As other people have said you can only direct buyers through the me page on Ebay. I have found that since I have re-jigged my Ebay listings I have had a few sales from my website so I would say that it is working and people do look at the me page. You might want to have a look at Ebay item no 180086420645 to see how I have worded it.
                    Helen

www.littlesnuggler.co.uk
                    Total warmth and comfort for your baby and toddler up to 3 years

Comment

Meta tags help

Hi Louise,

It's all the your web site meta tags. Eventually your site needs to come up on search engines and that takes time.

Leave all that up to my webmaster. All that IT/Web jargon goes over my head.

Have you done the site yourself or has someone done it for you ?
                      jasmines-cards.co.uk
                      Crafts ~ Scrapbooking ~ Weddings

Comment

Hi Helen,
                        thanks for the tip, I think I will 'borrow' your idea for my ebay listings!

cheers,
                        Louise

www.cleocrafts.co.uk
                        www.cleocrafts.co.uk

Comment

Another idea if your profit margin will allow it is to enclose a voucher with your ebay package offering 5 or 10% off your website purchases for the next month / next order / orders over £10 etc - people love a bargain and if you mention that prices are already cheaper than ebay thats where people will come in future. Also if you have a friend who sells another craft product you can both print up these vouchers between you mentioning both your sites etc - half the cost but twice the customers
                          http://www.funkyears.co.uk - unusual and sometimes downright weird jewellery :P

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyEars View Post
                            Another idea if your profit margin will allow it is to enclose a voucher with your ebay package offering 5 or 10% off your website purchases for the next month / next order / orders over £10 etc
                            Great idea!!!
                            Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

Know someone who watermarks all her images with her website address... not sure if thats allowed, but it could be a way of promoting your site.

I think the 'about me' icon is a good idea, as Helen/ little snuggler has done. As you can add your link from there and do a bit of advertising!
                              I did one.... and linked to all my favourite places.... http://members.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISA...=incywincytogs

But I wonder how many people actually look at the 'about me' links?

I know I only do it when i'm researching ideas and am curious to know a bit about the person (lol)
                              Last edited by incywincy; 02-05-2007, 08:48 AM.
                              incywincystitches.com - Fabric buttons, button supplies and handmade accessories
                              ___

Comment

Working...
                              X