Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with shabby chic /folk crafts

Hello all
    I am painting some wooden plaques and other items in the style of shabby chic with the intention of writing little sayings/quotes onto the painted plaques, can any one advise me on whether i should use a varnish or some sort of sealer and if so what? also what would be the best permanent pens to use? Have found some sites for sayings or funny quotes,if anyone could add to this please help!! Sorry to ask soo much but saves me asking later on. Look forward to your help, thanks kaz x

P.s. Have tried sharpie pens but the paint on the wood drys the marker out quickly.....anyone got any other ideas??
    Last edited by kazzells; 01-10-2008, 08:09 PM.

hi If you are going to paint or write words onto bare wood, you may find that the paint leaches along the grain of the wood, which will ruin the look on the edges of the writing.

I have found that a light coat of clear varnish, applied first to the wood, will prevent this. The varnish will also lift the grain of the wood, so if you lightly sand this with a fine grain sheet of sand paper, you will get a much smoother finish and feel to the piece of wood.

Hope this helps

regards
    JOHN

www.jbwoodcraft.co.uk

Comment

many thanks john will try that.

Comment

Working...
      X