Lampwork Tuition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lampwork Tuition

Are there any Lampworkers in the Dorset area who would be willing to teach me,as I don't drive I would like to find someone local,or else I may have to concider being self taught.
    I saw a demo at the Dorset Arts & Craft show at the weekend & I could have watched all day, it looks like I found another hobby to get my teeth into.
    Andrea

I haven't heard of 'Lampwork' before, what exactly is it? (always ready to increase my knowledge)
    Jo x
    Things to make and do
    Things to make and do's Facebook page
    Michael Lovejoy's Art

Comment

Check boards and Information beaureaus, they are usually a good source of this kind of thing. I know of one in Wiltshire, but it's probably too far to travel.

Comment

You could see if someone here is local to you:

www dot britishlampwork dot co dot uk (sorry - not allowed to post links yet!)

I love lampwork too - definitely want to have a go myself one day but will have to make do with working with the finished beads for the time being!
        www.CeeGeeJewellery.com Handcrafted Sterling Silver Jewellery
        www.EvaBeanBeads.etsy.com Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads
        Etsy - Folksy - BLOG

Do you Twitter? Follow us!
        Find us on Facebook! Add to your profile for news and freebies...

Comment

Originally posted by Jo Lovejoy View Post
          I haven't heard of 'Lampwork' before, what exactly is it? (always ready to increase my knowledge)
          Jo x
          Ji Jo, Lampwork is melting glass rods using a Torch burner, it is an acient form of art.Beads, little creatures & anything else in the imagination can be made.

A starter kit would cost aprox £160 using a beginners torch,but if you get into it, or like me go in guns blazing,a semi pro set up aint gonna be cheap,as you would be needing a kiln aprox £600,an oxygen concentrator kit aprox £530[inc a torch] & other tools.

You must wear gooky glasses to protect eyes from the uv light,& be prepaired to get the odd burn here & there.

Hope this helps. By the way I haven't started yet so this info is just what I have found out over the last few days.
          Andrea

Comment

Originally posted by andyart View Post
            Ji Jo, Lampwork is melting glass rods using a Torch burner, it is an acient form of art.Beads, little creatures & anything else in the imagination can be made.

A starter kit would cost aprox £160 using a beginners torch,but if you get into it, or like me go in guns blazing,a semi pro set up aint gonna be cheap,as you would be needing a kiln aprox £600,an oxygen concentrator kit aprox £530[inc a torch] & other tools.

You must wear gooky glasses to protect eyes from the uv light,& be prepaired to get the odd burn here & there.

Hope this helps. By the way I haven't started yet so this info is just what I have found out over the last few days.
            Thanks for the info Andy, it sounds facinating. I'd love to see some pics when you are able to post them.

Jo x
            Things to make and do
            Things to make and do's Facebook page
            Michael Lovejoy's Art

Comment

Working...
            X