Are People spending ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are People spending ?????

Are people spending with what the media are calling "credit crunch" ?

I was just wondering as ive not done any craft fairs this year yet. But got two next week.

I make cards so it not a large outlay for customers.

But wondered what peoples thoughts were ?

Sara x
    www.cardsforewe.co.uk

Yep....people are still spending. They might not be busy as much or spending as much on higher value items but we're not quite in a depression yet. People have just got to bend with the wind a little. If people are spending as much on pieces, make the pieces cheape to make and so on.
    Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery & Glass Fusing Blog
    Dichroic Glass Tutorials
    Wholesale Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery

Comment

of course they are.. people love to shop.. ( I do too ! woohoo!)
      my portfolio: gorjuss
      my shop: gorjuss.etsy.com

Comment

I have to say that I think folks are being very cautious about how much they spend, particularly families.

Three established shops in my town have closed suddenly this month and I know of a fourth which may go bump any day now ( a friend runs it)

Comment

not sure on this one

Hi, I did my first fair today & only sold a couple of cards, the other cardmaker wouldn't have sold more than 1/2 doz either. The numbers were low and I don't think many people made the table money. Mind you talking to the other crafters they all say, some you win other times you lose. I think it depends on where you go and if the advertising has been done well. I think the advertising wasn't done very well for this one, not by the crafty people but it wasn't published in the correct paper & signs went missing. Hope you do well & good luck. Let us know what happens.
          My blog http://setters-delight.blogspot.com

Folksy http://www.justgifts.folksy.com

Comment

I think you also have to be mindful of what you're selling too... Some crafts might not sell as well now because they're a victim of their own popularity.
            Dichroic Glass Tutorials

Comment

Glasskanvas is probably correct

As Glasskanvas says lots of people make cards now & Argos have cardmaking kits in their catalogues now & Smiths sell them too, perhaps we are on a losing thing, we'll see. Good luck to you though.

Comment

Thing is, I don't think your on a losing thing...if everyone wants to make cards for example...get into making unique embellishments for them, they're bound to do well! Card-making and scrapbooking is such a HUGE market, there's loads of ways to tap into it and still make good money.
                Dichroic Glass Tutorials

Comment

good thinking

good thinking there, mind you I did have a box of toppers for people to rummage through & blow me down someone asked me for boys toppers of trucks & cars & guess what, I had black diecut cars but no trucks...........what can I say, it's sods law.

Comment

Originally posted by glasskanvas View Post
                    Thing is, I don't think your on a losing thing...if everyone wants to make cards for example...get into making unique embellishments for them, they're bound to do well! Card-making and scrapbooking is such a HUGE market, there's loads of ways to tap into it and still make good money.
                    I agree, I found out early on with card selling that there were those who walked past saying "I make my own", so if that is the case find something to sell them and I started doing little craft packs of embellishments that attract card makers, scrapbookers and children, also double sided tape, stickers etc - they are all things I use and therefore can buy in bulk and sell some on, if they don't sell I use them!! Also because I do a lot of cards using my photographs I sometimes find that even those who stop to buy craft things as they make their own are attracted to a particular card. I have also started selling gift bags by decorating with the embellishments and card toppers etc some pretty paper gift bags.

It is important to have things that are different. Packs of notelets go well in some fairs and I have mounted enlargements of some of my prints and sell them on. Just some variety from not just cards, because not everyone buys a lot of cards and unless they have a birthday or something coming up they probably will just walk by without a second glance unless you have other things to offer. But don't vary too much from what you started with, try to make sure everything ties in (if you can understand that ramble!!).
                    Cynthia
                    http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

sod's law

this is an interesting thread - I've been wondering a lot myself about the 'credit crunch'. There seems to be quite a few different opinions on whether people are spending or not.

I think that whatever you try and anticipate people wanting, they will ALWAYS (grrr!) want it in a different size, shape, colour, theme, etc etc. Whatever you do, keep on making beautiful crafts.

Part of the reason I set up my own craft fair business is because I was paying out stall fees that I just wasn't covering, nevermind making a profit. I offer excellent rates for my stall holders to lessen the outlay for hardworking artists and crafters!

dianex
                      Arts and Crafts in The Peak
                      Diane
                      www.artsandcraftsinthepeak.co.uk

Comment

I think that you are on the right road with card-making considering the credit crunch. As long as they are priced suitably. People will always celebrate birthdays, important occasions etc. and not everyone has time equipment ability etc. to be able to make their own but want something that's different to what can be picked up in local factory shops. One idea I thought of was on -the-spot personalisation of chosen card ( Lots of children now have quite unusual names its difficult to buy personalised items for.) or thought of card-as-a-gift as either with something humorous enclosed or with small piece of jewellery or small decorative envelope to hold cash enclosed. OOps sorry I do go on...let me know your thoughts!
                        regards,
                        Tina

Comment

I've noticed that people are still spending just less than before...
                          My average "I want to buy a present" price has gone down by about £4-£5. Unfortunately the Metal price & their expectations seems to have gone up...
                          Thankfully I still have a core of people who come and shop with me so I can still pay the bills etc
                          To balance this off, I've found some reasonably priced premises and I'm going to be opening a Claires Accessories style shop. That way I'll have two bites of my areas purchasers....
                          1) My current shop will be rebranded as Divine Jewellery & contain the lovely sterling handmade things (my USP), some imported from USA (reasonably priced still nice) and some UK mid range things (+ a few other guest designers which rotate).
                          2) New shop Divine Accessories Mid range costume jewellery, Tiaras fascinators and all the "party bag" perenial favorites (little bead kits, stampers, fairy wings) under their own section.

Hopefully this will mean that, although I'm effectively competing with myself, I'll stand a chance whichever way the market moves...
                          There's always room for another shop!! (still nerve-wracking though)

Nicx
                          **FREE to enter monthly draw on my BLOGS**
                          Different prize every month
                          Jewellery Creations & Shop Blog
                          PMC & Silver Clay Hints and Tips Blog

Comment

Hmm... good question! Well, despite wet weather, I took a record amount at the Oyster Fayre, and I can't move for commissions... but the Beltane Bash takings were abysmal. So it's hard to say!
                            Cheers,
                            Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
                            Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

Originally posted by Scorch View Post
                              Hmm... good question! Well, despite wet weather, I took a record amount at the Oyster Fayre, and I can't move for commissions... but the Beltane Bash takings were abysmal. So it's hard to say!
                              I'll have to get you to franchise some out to me!! I'm desperate for work!!

Si.
                              Wood Tattoos
                              Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
                              Facebook
                              Flickr
                              Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X