Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a book from 2 bits of wood

Good morning all

I wonder if anyone can offer me some help or suggest an online tutorial that will me make a standing book from 2 bits of wood. I have been making clocks from old books (example attached) but I want to try something similar with wood in order to make them more 'steampunk'. I have limited woodworking skills so I have been trawling the net for an idiot's tutorial. In particular I would like to know how to make the spine. I appreciate I could just staple the 2 parts together but I think they will look too amateur. Any help or advice a forum member can offer me will be much appreciated.

Thanks

George

Hello George,

What about cloth for the hinge? Something strong, denim? canvas? or similar. Use staples but cover with another piece and glue to make it look finished.

I like the idea, I have vague ideas for clocks but they never come to anything, rethink things in the spring.

Hope it helps.

Shelley

Comment

As Shelley says, a piece of strong fabric but use ordinary PVA glue to join them up, what I use as a hinge when repairing writing slopes is cotton cloth usually from bed sheets. Cotton shirts would be good if you wanted a patterned spline.

Comment

Working...
      X