Technical Question re. photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technical Question re. photos

I am in the middle of building (very slowly) a web site and sometimes when I try to load pictures to it it says "error, picture to large..." I'm not really very technical so I'm at a loss. Any suggestions on what it means or how I get around it.... Thanks all.

It's probably that the picture takes up too much space. Cut the size of the picture down....if you can download a copy of photoshop. It's got tools to optimise pics, reduce size, space etc Remember also that the format is important jpegs for example can be quite large files.
    Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery & Glass Fusing Blog
    Dichroic Glass Tutorials
    Wholesale Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery

Comment

programs

Hi Helen

You just need to reduce the quality of your images. Web inages do not need to be the same quality as those you would print on your printer . There are many programs that you can use.

Do you have microsoft office?

That is one of the easiest

Let me know if not and I will find you a free one

Kind regards

Brad

Comment

Re. photos

Thanks for your answers and yes, Brad I do have microsoft office - what do I do with it tho?

Comment

One of the easiest tools to do it in is with Picassa from Google - you can export as web page images, which are much smaller than your original.

Plus, it's free - download from Google.com
          It's never too late to gyrate!

Comment

how good is this site it answers your questions before you even ask them as i also have been struggling making my photos small enough and had given up and just put them on my blog with a link i will try the picasso site when im brave enough
            Jan xx

http://craftyjan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Image Reduction

Hi Helene,
              It’s all right having all the advice in the world but if it’s not specific it isn’t very useful to you.

There are bucket’s full of software for photo manipulation but if you have no experience of them and don’t want to spend countless hours finding you way around them, then don’t bother. Windows Xp (and I have no doubt that Vista is the same, I can’t comment on Macs but I would be very surprised if there isn’t one included in the software ) have a tool that will do what you need to do relatively easily. This is the path!

On your desk top (that’s the blue (or may be not) welcoming screen on a PC running Xp or Vista there will be a button marked START, its generally at the bottom left hand corner. Click on this and got to PROGRAMS – OFFICE TOOLS – MICROSOFT PHOTO EDITOR – FILE – OPEN. This brings up a box with a drop down window which normally defaults to My Pictures but from here you can find all the images that you have conveniently hidden from your self on your machine. Find the image that you want to use and click on open – the image should then spring into life.

To resize the image look at the toolbar on top of the page and find IMAGE, click on this and another box will open, look for RESIZE and click on this.

The next box will have displayed two small boxes marked pixels next to more small boxes marked % (percentage). If you click on either of the two % boxes incremental buttons the % of image size will change but will keep the same width – height ratio.
              Click on OK and the image will resize accordingly.

This next bit is something that you won’t have been told elsewhere. With the mouse pointer on the image do a right button click, this will bring up another box and at the bottom of this box click on properties.

This will bring up yet another box and in this will be a small box marked RESOLUTION make sure or change this to 72 pixels/inch, this will set up the image for a screen resolution of 72 dpi (dots per inch) which is the standard for Monitors. If you are going to print any thing then this should be set to 300 pixels/inch.

Next thing to do is to save the image but when you do this it would be advisable to either call it something else or add another digit to the file name – this way you won’t change the original file so that it’s kept for future use.

All you need to know is what size image you need and normally you are given a range to work to. As an example one of the companies I work for uses an image size of 600 x 503 pixels x 72 dpi and this equates to a file size (and this depends on colour depth and how much white you have) of somewhere between 90kb – 140kb which would give you an image size of about 60-70mm on your screen.

You will have to play around a little with the sizing as this description can’t be specific but with this information all should be well eventually.

If you have any problems get back to me and I will look into it for you. I have to admit that I don’t have that much experience of small files as ALL mine are over 17mb but the principle should be the same.

Regards,

I..
              www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/?saved=1

Comment

Working...
              X