PDA

View Full Version : Opening a shop

ezzyam
14-03-2008, 08:37 PM
I have been thinking about leasing a small shop in Chandlers Ford. It is close to where a new Post Office is opening so it should draw a lot of people. Has anyone got any advice or would anyone be interested in forming a co-operative ( I think thats what they call it ) and joining us.

I have a meeting set up next week with the agents so any advice or past experiences would be really welcome.

Thanks

nattynetty
14-03-2008, 09:21 PM
Hi Penny

How exciting! As I'm right in the middle of it all at the moment and as someone who is picking it up as I go along I can give you a little bit of advice but if you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

When you do your costings don't forget things like any VAT on the rent, business rates, insurance, electric/gas/water/phone (cos they seem to charge more for businesses), credit card facilities, shop fittings. Also, if the shop has been empty for a while ask the agent how flexible the landlord will be with rent.

Good luck with it and make sure you let us all know how the meeting with the agent goes next week :)

Focus on Life
15-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Good luck with your meeting Ezzy. I have no experience re shops but it must be really exciting, even at the early stages when you're looking into all the figures etc

Your idea of a co-operative sounds great and certainly worth checking out

All the best :)
Shaz x

lippy
15-03-2008, 12:28 PM
I hope that everything goes really well. I would love to have the courage to take that step but i don't.
Good luck

wyattbean
15-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Sorry i don't have any experience to pass on but do wish you luck with it all. I wish I could do the same, and when you're up and running I'm near enough to come and visit and be a customer!!
Sue

heavenlygirl
15-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Theonly thing I can say is watch out for how long the landlord will try to tie you into a lease for, and haggle them down. I didn't and i got tied in for a bit long, I have to wait for another two years yet before i can move premises and i could really do with moving to a larger shop.