• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roseberry Crafts
    500+ Crafters Club
    • Feb 2008

I've had a wholesale request. HELP!

I only had my first sale on Etsy yesterday and now I've had someone (via Etsy) asking if I do wholesale!

The potential customer is in the US and it all seems a little daunting.
    I don't know if I can actually create enough stock quick enough for wholesale, haven't got a clue where to start pricing and generally feel out of my depth thinking about it!

I would be saying "no" outright but she says its for a "unique boutique" she is opening soon which suggests to me that she may not want a massive amount of any one thing. If it is "one offs" and small quantities she's after then I could probably do it?

Should I steer clear until I'm more established or just go for it?

Anyone else had a similar experience?
    Natalie
    website blog
  • Rodeo Lady
    Super crafter
    • Oct 2007

Cant help Nat . I'm sure there will be someone along soon who can. The guys on here have spoke about exports before so you should get the help you need.

Cheers Janice
    and by the way WELL DONE !!!!
    www.freewebs.com/clipclophorseshoes

Comment

• incywincy
      Super Big Crafter
      • Mar 2007

I say go for it Don't be scared by the term wholesale, it doesn't always mean 100's - As you say it may only be a few of each, or even some one-offs. Have you got back to her and asked about numbers?

I have some pricing details that I use for wholesale, do you want me to email them over?
      incywincystitches.com - Fabric buttons, button supplies and handmade accessories
      ___

Comment

• Soapwitch
        100+ crafts club
        • May 2006

I agree, just go for it and see how it goes. I was always worried about wholesale especially exporting but now i do it without thinking! You'll find that most of the people that approach you will understand that you aren't a factory churning out mass produced rubbish and they'll be patient. Just start with baby steps and build up your confidence slowly.

Leanna
        www.purethoughts.co.uk
        Natural soaps and skincare, handmade from beginning to end...

Pure Thoughts Newsletter - Free samples for 50 new subscribers every month

Comment

• goldy1
          Super Big Crafter
          • Nov 2006

Makke sure you get your money up front. Also make sure your product meets US standerds they are diffrent from ours. Go on to the ETSY forums and surch wholesale threads get some Idea of what it entails. who would pay inport taxes and tings like that.

Well done fantastic going for a newbie. hope it all workks well but procide with caution there are so many ****s out there.

Sorry to be barer of bad vibes but I've heard too many people have been burnt.
          "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
          my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

• Roseberry Crafts
            500+ Crafters Club
            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by incywincy View Post
            I say go for it Don't be scared by the term wholesale, it doesn't always mean 100's - As you say it may only be a few of each, or even some one-offs. Have you got back to her and asked about numbers?

I have some pricing details that I use for wholesale, do you want me to email them over?
            No, haven't got back to her yet. Wanted to hear reactions from you guys and to get down from the ceiling first!

Yes please Incy. If you could email me those details that would be great!

Thanks to everyone for all your help. You have provided me with plenty of food for thought!
            Natalie
            website blog

Comment

• incywincy
              Super Big Crafter
              • Mar 2007

PM'ed you
              x
              incywincystitches.com - Fabric buttons, button supplies and handmade accessories
              ___

Comment

• Focus on Life
                Super Big Crafter
                • Jan 2008

Wow, this sounds like a great opportunity Roseberry and I'm sure congratulations are in order, well done you for attracting such (potentially/hopefully) good business

I have no Etsy or wholesale experience yet but I'm so keen to hear how you get on, the advice to ask more Qs about what's required etc is really sound. The thought of "success" can sometimes be a bit scary and daunting but as the guys here have said, once you've done it once, the fear of the unknown has gone so you're ready to do it again when the times comes...and again...and again...

Well done & good luck!
                Shaz x
                Keepsake Kollections
                & Rossendale Ramblings!
                http://focusonlife-shaz.blogspot.com

Where else can you get Mental and Retail Therapy?!

Comment

• Tip Top
                  Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
                  • Apr 2007

Well done and good luck!!

Comment

• beadsbydesign
                    Super Moderator
                    Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!
                    • Jan 2006

great opportunity. Don't pass on any stock until you have payment!
                    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

• swirlyarts
                      Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
                      • Jan 2006

I've done two wholesale orders and boy it was daunting! I was totally unprepared for the first one but it did make me get off my bum and get my prices and terms and conditions sorted. Make sure you sort out who is going to pay for postage (I paid one lot and hand delivered the second lot) and I have a copy of my terms and conditions if you want to have a look at those too? PM me and let me know - and congratulations!!! And don't panic - they have asked for you to do something for them and they obviously like your products so just be upfront with them and explain that you have children at home etc and that it will take you x amount of time to get them ready. I'm sure they will understand.
                      Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
                      My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
                      My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

• 23BeechHill
                        100+ crafts club
                        • Oct 2007

Congratulations & Well done !

I suppose it's like all things, once you have done it once you'll be more comfortable about it. It's gathering all the necessary info that's daunting but everyone here is so helpful I am sure you'll be fine
                        Laurie

www.23beechhill.co.uk

http://23beechhill.blogspot.com

Comment

• Roseberry Crafts
                          500+ Crafters Club
                          • Feb 2008

Thanks everyone!

Just thought I'd say thank you to anyone who posted advice and support on this thread.

I decided (in the end) to give it a miss as I was getting so stressed out worrying about the ins and outs of it all. If it had been a Uk buyer I might have felt more comfortable. I'm going to concentrate on establishing myself a bit better first. Once I have gained full confidence and am happy with my Etsy shop (&YCL etc) then I'll venture further. Baby steps!

Thanks again everyone.
                          Natalie
                          website blog

Comment

• Focus on Life
                            Super Big Crafter
                            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Roseberry Crafts View Post
                            Baby steps!
                            No bad thing if it felt right chuck, well done for trusting your instincts, you cant go far wrong in life when you do that

...have you ever seen a brilliant film "What About Bob?" with Bill Murray and Richard Dreyfuss?....always makes me smile and think of it when I hear anyone say "baby steps"

...baby steps into the elevator....baby steps onto the bus...

Shaz x
                            Keepsake Kollections
                            & Rossendale Ramblings!
                            http://focusonlife-shaz.blogspot.com

Where else can you get Mental and Retail Therapy?!

Comment

• Roseberry Crafts
                              500+ Crafters Club
                              • Feb 2008

Yes I have seen that film! Gosh that makes a change because normally when someone says "have you ever seen that film ........." I've never even heard of it!

Actually I don't know if I am taking baby steps anymore!? Hubby just registered me a domain name a couple of hours ago so I can set up my very own website! I'd forgotten about it until now 'cos I've been up to my eyes in fabric making my mother some curtains! I'll let you know when it's up and running so you can tell me what you think!
                              Natalie
                              website blog

Comment

Working...
                              X