PDA

View Full Version : I have a market stall...!!!

Katianne
19-02-2008, 10:09 PM
I have been accepted to do an Easter Market at the Moseley Arts Market (south of Birmingham). I have been told by another forum member that the market is really good. They only have one of every stall, all is hand made and their aim is to support local traders/businesses.

I applied for a stall at Christmas but didn't get in unfortunately. They are really oversubscribed, so I have been on their waiting list. They run the event one Saturday every month, and I have a spot on the first one this year, Easter Saturday. Let's hope the weather is good for us!!!

Anyone else have experience of doing Arts markets?

Focus on Life
19-02-2008, 10:14 PM
I dont but congratulations, it sounds very popular and to get Easter weekend, hopefully that will be great for you

All the best!
shaz x

Peter
19-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Look closely at the other stalls - windproofing, clips, something to sit on, stall covering material, and, most importantly...............weather forecasts!! :D

Katianne
19-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Look closely at the other stalls - windproofing, clips, something to sit on, stall covering material, and, most importantly...............weather forecasts!! :D

Thanks for the tips!!!! I have already started to think about that...it has been recommended that we bring something to protect the sides of the stall from the weather - I thought maybe tarpaulin either side with some of those big clips (anyone know where you get those from?). I have some of those callapsible camping chairs I thought I'd take along.

Like the new avator BTW Peter!

Peter
19-02-2008, 11:02 PM
I have dozens of clips! Go to a normal saturday market and look for a tool stall, that's where we always got them from - you should pay about 50p each for the big ones, the small ones are only good for holding up posters etc. It's worth getting a cheap tarpaulin from Halfords or Machine Mart if you're going to be doing a few markets, it's guaranteed one will leak at sometime! Guess who was a market trader? :D Oh, and take something heavy to hold your paperwork down...........and a float.............and a flask...........and a barbecue.............and a goat...................and...............:p

sweet
20-02-2008, 12:45 AM
congrats you! how cool is that!

icecreamgirl
20-02-2008, 12:46 AM
Well done!!
Easter Sat too! It's bound to be busy, you better get making!!

beadsbydesign
20-02-2008, 08:21 AM
Congratulations!!

Yep get those clamps and tarpalins at the ready (as well as thick boots, well tucked in layers, gloves hat and jumpers!!!)

Rodeo Lady
20-02-2008, 08:55 AM
Cling film if you dont want to spend money on tarps & clips.

When I did one the lady next me put the cling film on the side of her stall and it seemed to work. Something to bear in mind is how to cover your stock if it starts to " rain in the way "

Anyway really chuffed for you and wishing you every success

Cheers Janice

Bowed Over
20-02-2008, 08:58 AM
Well done hope the weather is really good - but get a good quality ground sheet and put some mats or pieces of carpet on them to stand on because no matter how many pair of socks you put on your feet always get cold.

Good luck.

Cheers.

Lisa

:D

Debeadz
20-02-2008, 09:22 AM
Congrats! That's great news :D

Stand on cardboard as this apparently stops your feet getting cold!

Good luck with and let's hope the sunshines :p

Tip Top
20-02-2008, 07:36 PM
Ooohhhhh! Good luck - take some pics of your stall as would love to see it!!

Hope you sell shed loads!!:D

Neesey
20-02-2008, 07:42 PM
I've done markets selling plants and fresh flowers in the north east UK but never was able to get on the once a month farmers market. Congrets on your new vinture.

Katianne
21-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Thanks everyone! I have a double stall with my friend, who makes jewellery, so we are thinking of mixing the two across the stall, perhaps arranged according to colour. I'm thinking that will draw people in more?

Will have a look on sat for the clips (Thx Peter!) and like the cling flim idea!!! Having the sides clear will mean people can still see our stal from the side so that sounds lie a good idea.

Will let you know how it goes. Will have to look out for some fingerless gloves... :D :D :D

BeadsbyLili
22-02-2008, 11:30 AM
You must be very excited ! Good exposure for your crafts too.

Talking of exposure... on a practical level I'd suggest wearing several layers of clothing that you can then peel off if you get warm (standing about all day can really seep into your bones!). Hats are good too - its surprising how much heat you loose through your head especially if you do happen to be in a draughty area. Also a big flask of coffee is good because then you can just pour it out as needed without having to drink up a huge vending cup full (and dont forget the biscuits for sugar/energy) !

When it comes to your market audience.. I found it better not to sit behind the stall as this seems to put people off looking. Oh - and make sure you have your business cards out so they can shop online too:D

Katianne
22-02-2008, 02:29 PM
When it comes to your market audience.. I found it better not to sit behind the stall as this seems to put people off looking. Oh - and make sure you have your business cards out so they can shop online too:D

Thanks for the advice! When you say to not sit behind the stall - do you mean you should stand or not be behind the stall at all....??? Sorry, easily confused me!

BeadsbyLili
22-02-2008, 03:05 PM
I meant not sit or stand behind it all day if possible (except when you need to sit down of course!). To me it always seemed better to stand back a bit if you can - or even just be looking over things/primping the stall etc (its bizarre but there's nothing like pretending to be a customer to draw customers). Something else that works quite well is if you are 'busy' working on something - i.e. polishing up one of your mosaics as people are naturally nosey and its a good conversation opener. Maybe best to several different things out and see what works best for you.

Hope it goes well - you'll have to report back and let us know - Good luck ;)

Katianne
22-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Seeing as I'm doing it with my friend, a good plan may be to rotate playing the customer!!! I know I've done that before when I've visted her at craft fairs - I agree it definitely draws people in if they see other customers there! Will def let you know how we get on! :p

pixiedoodles
21-03-2008, 09:02 AM
Hiya,
Hope it all goes well for you- might pop in and have a look aroung- not far away in Quinton! what day is it? saturday?
Do you have any contact details or info at all please? Im looking for outlets and this sounds fab- would be happy to go on a waiting list at this stage!
good luck again- hopefully see you there!

colourart
21-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Good luck with your market this weekend, I hope the weather is kind to you and you have lots of buyers. Lots of piccies of the stall please..:p

craftdancer
21-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Good luck to you both with the market stall.

Hopefully you are well organised by now and have all the bits and pieces you are likely to need.

Looking forward to reading that you sold out and are millionaires!

Linda

Chris W
21-03-2008, 01:00 PM
My late husband had market stalls and did a few for me selling jewellery and things I imported from Bali. He found he did well if the weather was good but not too good. It helps if everything is packaged so that it is easy to pack away and lay out, also if something goes missing you can see it immediately because the box or packet will be empty.

Squiggly Sue
21-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Good luck with the market! Hope its not too windy and cold for you.

Katianne
22-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Sorry all - missed all your good luck posts until now as have been mainc getting things ready. Well, weather was pretty bad - freezing cold and snowing on and off. I sold 2 mirrors and my friend sold a few bits and pieces. Lots of passing traffic though considering the weather and well organised. I would recommend the event to anyone local, especially on a good day as should image you'ld have a good turn out.

Not sure that oitdoor events are such a good idea for me though...unfortunately at the end of the day, a big gust of wind hit, damaging 3 of my mirrors beyond repair. This is a real blow, as the total stock damage was 75, so the little that I did make went down the pan as this far outweighs it. Boo hoo - not my day!

Thanks to Jamie who organises the Arts market though, as I say, I would recommend that people think about this one, especially in warmer climates!

Oh, and if you'd like to ask about a stall, the website is:

http://www.moseleycdt.com/arts_market_criteria.php :D

Spirit_of_wales
04-04-2008, 12:31 PM
:( AWW l feel so sorry about your bad luck at the end of the fair! Put it down to experience. At least you gave it a go and now know its not suitable. Some nice weather and a stall on grass in summer with gentle breeze, might be very different, especially with sun catching your mirrors....would you be a fire risk? At least you have given me and some others some thoughts about doing the same and some good advice about selling too. I hope you had your business cards out and therefore will have some enquiries that way?
Good luck in your venture!
:)Tina