• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Random Hippy
    Junior crafter
    • Nov 2007

Selling cards through shops

I was wondering if anyone has sold any of their cards to shops. I'm thinking of doing so myself but wasn't sure how much to ask for them. There's nothing worse than being asked how much you want for them and having to say, "erm . . . not sure!" So I'm trying to prepare in advance in order to avoid looking as inept as I feel!

RH
  • samantha
    Moderate crafter
    • Nov 2007

I tried my local newsagent 12 months ago. Be prepared to give upto 60% discount on your retail price as that is what they expect!
    I hope that you find a better shopkeeper than I did.
    Sam

My website: www.classy-cards.co.uk
    My FreeIndex page: http://www.freeindex.co.uk/profile(C...rds)_81854.htm
    Review my FreeIndex listing: http://freeindex.co.uk/wr.htm?id=81854&br=1

Comment

• Random Hippy
      Junior crafter
      • Nov 2007

Thanks

Thanks Sam, that's not too bad. At least that gives me some idea what to say. I do hate going into things unprepared!

RH

Comment

• Tip Top
        Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
        • Apr 2007

There is a thread somewhere on the Forum about approaching shops and I'm sure there is also a post on the Blog (link in my sig) too about selling to shops.

I'm thinking of doing the same in the New Year.

Have you already worked out which shops you want to approach? have a look at what they already sell their cards at as its a good guide and then work backwards from there. Or take a handy reckoner with you on a sliding scale - so say you wanted them to buy for £1 and they wanted 25% then you'd be getting 75p. Nothing worse than being confused with figures when you need it most!!

Good luck and let us know how you get on!!

Comment

• sunbatheintheshade
          100+ crafts club
          • Oct 2007

i personally have tried this before but along time ago! i sold them to the shops in ready made up boxes of about 15 cards for about £20 per basket...seemed to go down well!
          I have just given my sister a box of 30 cards to sell in her staff room as she works in a school - i feel this is a bonus cos no one else wants to take a cut!

good luck! x
          Funky jewellery & Luxury handmade greetings cards www.sunbatheintheshade.com

Comment

• Random Hippy
            Junior crafter
            • Nov 2007

Thanks for the advice!

Originally posted by Tip Top View Post
            There is a thread somewhere on the Forum about approaching shops and I'm sure there is also a post on the Blog (link in my sig) too about selling to shops.

I'm thinking of doing the same in the New Year.

Have you already worked out which shops you want to approach? have a look at what they already sell their cards at as its a good guide and then work backwards from there. Or take a handy reckoner with you on a sliding scale - so say you wanted them to buy for £1 and they wanted 25% then you'd be getting 75p. Nothing worse than being confused with figures when you need it most!!

Good luck and let us know how you get on!!
            Fortunately I live in Glastonbury which is a very touristy area so there are plenty of gift shops of various kinds so I have plenty of choice. I did manage to sell some and got £1.20 per card for them, which I was quite chuffed with. You should definitely go for it yourself in the new year. If I can carry on at that rate I could stand to do quite well! Mind you, I still felt like a fish out of water, hopefully I'll get used to it one day?!

Good luck with yours.
            Last edited by Random Hippy; 26-11-2007, 05:51 PM.

Comment

• Random Hippy
              Junior crafter
              • Nov 2007

Fab idea!

Originally posted by sunbatheintheshade View Post
              i personally have tried this before but along time ago! i sold them to the shops in ready made up boxes of about 15 cards for about £20 per basket...seemed to go down well!
              I have just given my sister a box of 30 cards to sell in her staff room as she works in a school - i feel this is a bonus cos no one else wants to take a cut!

good luck! x
              Selling through friends. . . what an excellent idea, I never thought of that. Will definitely give that one a go, thanks for the tip!

Comment

• renniwano
                Junior crafter
                • Nov 2007

I sell to a local shop.. they buy them off me at £1.75 a card and put them up at around £3 - £3.50 a card.. so they make their money..
                Behind all great men are suprised mother in laws.

www.dewdropcraftz.co.uk for clear stamps with a difference..

Comment

• heavenlygirl
                  500+ Crafters Club
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by samantha View Post
                  I tried my local newsagent 12 months ago. Be prepared to give upto 60% discount on your retail price as that is what they expect!
                  I hope that you find a better shopkeeper than I did.
                  Hi Sam, its a small world, didnt know you had joined this forum, its great isnt it.

Heather
                  www.craftyaddicts.co.uk
                  for all your cardmaking and scrapbooking needs!!
                  www.craftyaddict.wordpress.com
                  craftyaddicts blog site
                  www.heatherbees.blogspot.com
                  My personal blog
                  http://twitter.com/craftyaddicts

Comment

• samantha
                    Moderate crafter
                    • Nov 2007

Hi Heather. I haven't had much time to visit recently, but will try to find more time in the New Year.
                    I'll pop into the shop soon.
                    Sam

My website: www.classy-cards.co.uk
                    My FreeIndex page: http://www.freeindex.co.uk/profile(C...rds)_81854.htm
                    Review my FreeIndex listing: http://freeindex.co.uk/wr.htm?id=81854&br=1

Comment

• heavenlygirl
                      500+ Crafters Club
                      • Apr 2007

If I dont see you before then Merry Christmas. Loved the latest email by the way especially no 7.
                      www.craftyaddicts.co.uk
                      for all your cardmaking and scrapbooking needs!!
                      www.craftyaddict.wordpress.com
                      craftyaddicts blog site
                      www.heatherbees.blogspot.com
                      My personal blog
                      http://twitter.com/craftyaddicts

Comment

• samsq
                        So much more than a moderate crafter
                        • Jul 2007

I used to work in a card shop and sometimes people would come in and offer their handmade cards for sale.

If the cards were right for us, we were happy to take the cards on a sale or return basis, with the stock being refreshed on a monthly basis, so perhaps that is something that you could offer. At least that way there is no actual outlay for the shop which is often the concern.

Comment

• ksasnic
                          Junior crafter
                          • Dec 2007

I was thinking of approaching the local kids clubs, cubs/guides etc offering my cards to them where we split the money they get for them 60/40 or so.. I benefit by being able to buy more crafting goods fulfilling my crafting fix and creating more cards for them and they some well needed funds for their club... Let them do the promoting lol to parents and friends as its in their interests to.

I think that these type of groups may prove quite a cheap alternative to selling in the shops to start with as then once you get known through all the clubs in the area then you can approach shops and the shop will have something to back up the sale-ablility of your cards.

Eitherway as they say its worth a shot...

Comment

• Ginny's Cards
                            Junior crafter
                            • Oct 2008

I've recently approached a couple of shops and both have purchased cards from me. One has purchased 20 and the other has purchased 40......One shop is a gift shop wishing to offer cards with her products and the other is a handmade jewellery shop, wishing to offer cards to people who buy her jewellery as gifts for people.

I offered them a price that allowed them to make 100% profit on each card. I made the lower end of what I wanted from each card, but as I am new in business, I just wanted to get my name out there and was happy to provide both shops with this mark up.

Hope this helps.
                            Handmade Cards & Gifts For All Occasions
                            www.ginnyscards.co.uk

Comment

• ms_mandy
                              100+ crafts club
                              • Oct 2008

I've had my cards in a couple of shops, one was a Vintage Boutique and I wholesaled the cards at 60% of what I would have retailed them for, as she was a regular client for over a year it was a good little earner.

I am also really lucky to have approached a local florists who I got on so well with she agreed to take my cards in her shop at no cost, I make all the profit!! But these generous offers don't come along that often.

I also occassionally display my collage art in a shop in Brighton, this is on a sale or return basis. The client is happy as she wants my style of art to decorate her walls but at the same time she is more than happy to offer it for sale.
                              www.maygreen-fairies.co.uk
                              www.maygreen-fairies.blogspot.com
                              www.facebook.com/maygreenfairies
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/maygreenfairies

Comment

Working...
                              X