• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Katianne
    Super Big Crafter
    • Jan 2007

Website help for Katian Krafts!

Hi all, I need your help! You all have really great websites and I wondered how you actually do it? I had a blog before and am currently just using my Ebay Shop to sell. I want to set up a .co.uk website, if you know what I mean, but have no idea how to do this? Do you have to pay monthly, is it done through another website or a package you buy??? HELP!!
    Last edited by Katianne; 05-11-2007, 06:12 PM.
    Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page
  • swirlyarts
    Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
    • Jan 2006

Mr Swirl did mine for me - I'll get him to post later and give you some advice!
    Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
    My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
    My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

• Tip Top
      • Apr 2007

Mine is a Mr Site package (about £18 via Amazon) and its a little restrictive at times but it's fine for what I need at the moment. I got a domain name with it www.tiptoptoppers.co.uk as you can pick what you want as long as its not gone.

I think the renewal each year is £2.50 ish and its all hosted by them (you don't have to keep all the files and clog up your hard drive).

But there are other packages out there. Mr M and Mr Swirl probably will give you better advice!

Comment

• Katianne
        Super Big Crafter
        • Jan 2007

I have thought about Mr Site as I've heard it mentioned quite a lot on the forum. Is it quite straight forward. Do you have standard templates which you select and then just add your scetions, text and pics?
        Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

• Peter
          Super mega big crafter
          • Jan 2006

I do mine through http://order.1and1.co.uk/xml/order/H...74K06732T5515a
          It's an improvement on Freewebs!

Comment

• Mary
            100+ crafts club
            • Mar 2007

As far as Mr Site goes, yes, you get a choice from stacks of different templates, and then you can customise them to make them more individual, and add your own banner at the top if you want to. then you just add the words and stuff. They have improved the design recently so that, if you want to, you can do more to the sites yourself, like adding in slide shows etc.
            All four of mine are Mr.Site, and though they may not be the best in the world, I think they are OK - people do go to them and occasionally even buy!
            I think it's a pretty personal thing though - when you find something you like you tend to stick with it.
            Mary
            www.somata.co.uk
            www.stitchnglass.co.uk
            www.gemstoneboutique.co.uk
            www.somata-pmc.co.uk

Comment

• MrSwirl
              500+ Crafters Club
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Katianne View Post
              Hi all, I need your help! You all have really great websites and I wondered how you actually do it? I had a blog before and am currently just using my Ebay Shop to sell. I want to set up a .co.uk website, if you know what I mean, but have no idea how to do this? Do you have to pay monthly, is it done through another website or a package you buy??? HELP!!
              You're better off having a .com domain rather than .co.uk - most people will try .com first and then try .co.uk. You could cover all bases and get both. A .co.uk domain is about £2.50 a year; .com is about £9 a year to register.

On top of that, you need somewhere to "host" your website - a machine somewhere that has all your files on there. Your web pages are made up of the page definition (HTML) and images (GIF, JPEG etc.). There are other files, but they are your main kind. So you need some disk space to store your site. For example, the fee that you pay Mr Site includes 150MB of disk space for your site and email. For your kind of site, that should be plenty - after the first year it costs £2.90 a month for hosting.

I did our sites myself, using some free software that came with a PC magazine - fairly easy to do, since it's all templates based and you just supply the contents. I edit it all on my laptop, and then upload it to the server using FTP.

Our sites are hosted in America by PowWeb - they provide loads of disk space, lots of traffic if the site becomes popular, and has pretty much everything that I want from a site. I run a support forum on my site, which is all free within the hosting price - I've got picture galleries, blogs, online shops that I've used. Current promotion is $5.77 a month and they include a .com domain for free in that.

I guess it depends on how computer literate you are - I don't like the idea of Mr Site, but others use it.
              It's never too late to gyrate!

Comment

• Sommerwood
                500+ Crafters Club
                • Nov 2006

I use Mr Site and think it is great for what it is, and for a complete computer numpty like me it is so easy to use. I put all mine together myself. However saying that it does have drawbacks, the main one for me being that when something sells it still sits in the shop and you have to go in and delete it asap incase somebody else tries to buy it (if it is a one-off). The other drawback is you cannot offer differing postal rates, i.e for overseas etc. I include all postage in my prices but for UK only. Have had mine for over 2 years now I think and I am still very happy with it, but does completely depend on what you want to get from a website.
                Jo x

For handcrafted wooden gifts and decorations please visit http://www.sommerwood.co.uk

Comment

• Mary
                  100+ crafts club
                  • Mar 2007

Hmmm, very sorry Mr S but going to disagree over domain name. I always go to .co.uk sites whenever buying, hardly every .com unless I can be sure they are UK. A variety of reasons - I prefer to buy from UK, less postage, less hassle, often more relevant, quicker to arrive, etc. So I don't even look at .com's unless I can't find what I want in .co.uk. I know I am not the only one who thinks like this as I have had this discussion with quite a few other crafters.
                  Having said all that, I expect someone will come up with really good reasons for going .com, but I do not believe it is automatically the best. Sorry......
                  Mary
                  www.somata.co.uk
                  www.stitchnglass.co.uk
                  www.gemstoneboutique.co.uk
                  www.somata-pmc.co.uk

Comment

• Katianne
                    Super Big Crafter
                    • Jan 2007

Thank you all for your advice. I think I will give Mr Site a go, as I've never done a website before and think it will make things more straight forward for me. I will post the site for your comments once it's done
                    Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

• Tip Top
                      • Apr 2007

If you need any help giz a shout! As I think I have mastered Mr Site!!

Comment

• craftay
                        Junior crafter
                        • Nov 2007

Hi,

I'm a web developer for a living so feel free to get in touch if you need any advice or need someone to build your website

Ali

MOD EDIT - PLEASE DON'T PUT E MAIL ADDYS ON.
                        Last edited by Peter; 14-11-2007, 10:00 PM.

Comment

• craftymate
                          So much more than a moderate crafter
                          • Nov 2007

Hiya l had a mr site the only problem is it doesnt get seen unless you advertise it, they are not so easy to sort out the seo (search engine opimization).
                          l dont know if its still the same you cant have wording at the top of the pages you are selling things on which was very annoying if you wanted to introduce the page, saying that there are alot of peeps still work with them and get on very well its just a matter of choice tbh.
                          Good luck with your choice
                          Wendy xx

www.wendysaffordableweddings.org.uk

Comment

• Bowed Over
                            • Feb 2007

I made my own site up - not technically minded in the least - just read up on html coding and gave it a try - this way I have total control over my site too - if I want to change it I go ahead and do it don't have to ask someone else to do it for me.

Not much use but hope it helps.

Cheers.

Lisa

Bowed Over
                            Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
                            www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                            X