PDA

View Full Version : Not sure on my next move !!

craftymax
01-09-2007, 11:30 AM
I've been selling my jewellery/cards to friends and family for a few years. I have also done a couple of PTA shopping nights and fetes (selling out each time). So now I'm looking at my next move. I already work pt at a school so my crafting business would initially by part time as well....So I'm looking for info on setting up and running an online shop - how much does it cost and how does it work ( I know nothing about this !!!). Also what about opening a shop - again costings etc.

I plan on selling craft supplies for papercrafts and jewellery making. I also want to give taster workshops in peoples homes ( to keep the cost down). I want to sell my jewellery and cards as well.

My goal is to convert as many people as I can to the crafting way - I've already made craft addicts out of a few friends!!

You all have so much experience in selling your crafts and I would be really grateful for all your thoughts.....

Thanx alot
Maxine :mf:

Poppy4lee
01-09-2007, 05:23 PM
I'm sure if you search about you'll find some threads about starting a business & Internet shops. Have you tried your local Chamber of Commerce? When I first started I had loads of advice from the Local Chamber & Business Link. I think everyone's business is so individual to them & each one of us has taken a slightly different route, used different web hosts etc. etc. The costs also vary widely as do the funds available to each of us, so much may depend on how much you can afford to invest in the project. However, I would start by drawing up your own plan of your aims/goals, which markets you want to reach etc. & then break it all down so you can begin researching how each piece can (realistically) be achieved.
Sorry, it's not much help but it's really difficult to reply with specifics to such a wide/all encompassing question.

swirlyarts
01-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Right - an internet shop would be the way to go firstly because it's not as expensive to set up (relatively) and isn't as risky. If something does go wrong then you can sell off your stock and not be too much out of pocket. Try Etsy to sell supplies on - it's free to set up and they have a special dedicated supplies section so that might be worth a try first of all before you even set up a webshop. You are right to do it part time too - keep the real job as well for a while because it can take years to set up an established shop unless you are very, very lucky.
Regarding parties in peoples houses you will need insurance - it is available but can be tricky to find, especially for going into peoples houses.
I can't think of anything else to add but feel free to ask more questions!

craftymax
02-09-2007, 10:07 AM
It seems that I have alot to think about !! Thanks very much for the advice. I think I need to do alot more research before I take the plunge.

Maxine :mf:

Tinker
02-09-2007, 10:11 AM
ebay would also be a good outlet, but be sure if your not already, to sign up with inland revenue and national insurence. they have special officers on ebay looking out for business apparently that arnt registered.

once you have a customer base set up on either etsy or ebay you could then develop a website. and point your customers to there.

theres pleanty of people on here (me included) that could help you or give you info on website buiding when you need it

kind regards...

BeadsbyLili
02-09-2007, 10:19 AM
I agree with the previous comments - especially that each business is individual so there is no set 'formula' to follow as such. Another suggestion is that you could always try eBay to test your market initially and they make it quite easy to set up a shop ..(obviously there are costs involved but maybe cheaper than diving into the unknown straight away).

Probably best to do a little research on setting up your own business first though - make sure you start out with the basics such as a little business plan (to clarify what your aims are)/finance/insurance/business structure (i.e. sole trader)/book keeping records (which most of us end up doing as an afterthought and it really is better to start off doing them at the beginning!) and so on. Business link are also good for all sorts of information as a starting point and there are interactive quizzes that can help you decide which courses of action are best for you. Of course there is always lots of interesting threads on here too that might help you.

Good luck !