PDA

View Full Version : Cute or amateur?

swirlyarts
30-08-2007, 11:54 PM
I have small white paper bags and large brown paper bags (with handles) for customers at craft fairs to put their purchases in. I was thinking (it may have been suggested here in the first place) of having my children draw pictures on the bags to brighten them up - what do you think? I would also have an older child friend draw some too. If not that idea what do you think of having my web address written across the bag neatly in felt tip pen? Too naff? Not businesslike enough? Or quite fun and quirky?
Thanks
Lynsey

Bowed Over
31-08-2007, 09:01 AM
I think the kids drawing on it would be quite quirky - but I don't think writing the web address in felt pen would go down too well, why not print off a hand writing looking sort of a tag for the bag.

Cheers.

Lisa

:D

Tinker
31-08-2007, 09:09 AM
thats a neat idea, a slim tag and maybe a little die cut chicken or folk heart from brown card tied on with raffia would be so cute.

i love the kiddie drawing idea, but you have to remember kids have a short attention span and they may get fed up with drawing on 100+ bags.

regards jo

swirlyarts
31-08-2007, 09:30 AM
Mmm - I might attach my business cards to the bags with handles with some string/wool. Not sure what to do bout the small white bags either though!

MrSwirl
31-08-2007, 10:34 AM
Tags are the way forward, rather than drawing.

Tip Top
31-08-2007, 10:58 AM
I like the tags idea, but time is getting tight and I know what you mean about the drawing on the bags - keeps the girls amused and saves you time!

I also have the little brown bags and was (well, actually in the middle of printing them!) going to stick on my logo and website address on the front, printed onto white paper...

Why not just let the girls do a few of the bags - select which felt-tips you want them to use (colour themed!) and see what you think - post a pic on here and we can comment! If they are a bit not quite professional, you can always sell them as art!!!:D

swirlyarts
31-08-2007, 11:19 AM
Well I could post a picture of my sofa and that will show you what Tara can do and you've all seen the picture of Anya when she was being creative with pens - on herself!!!

Tip Top
31-08-2007, 02:20 PM
I've seen your sofa - ouch!!:o

So, not a good idea then!!:D

Go with the tags idea - I think it will work well:)

JBJB
31-08-2007, 03:28 PM
I'd be worried people might think you've decorated the bags yourself - especially if your girls are nowhere to be seen at the craft fair.

swirlyarts
31-08-2007, 05:09 PM
I'd be worried people might think you've decorated the bags yourself - especially if your girls are nowhere to be seen at the craft fair.

Good point - especially as my artistry skills are pretty much non existent!!

colourart
01-09-2007, 12:51 AM
Although its a nice idea to decorate the bags, I would spend as little time as possible on embellishing them because people are buying your crafts and not the bag, and whilst the bags are good advertising I wouldn't have thought you'd want to spend a long time decorating them. I like the tag suggestion of attaching a business card with jute or wool. Another idea could be to print your web address or logo onto blank paper and then stick it to the outside of the bag.(oops - just noticed already suggested but I like that idea too)

swirlyarts
01-09-2007, 08:49 AM
Yeah - I'm definitely leaving the colouring in of bags at the moment as Matt rightly pointed out last night that Anya's drawing skills are not perfect yet (she is 3) so I might want to leave that idea until she is older. I do have other children I could ask but as someone else points out it might get a bit boring for them to be drawing on loads of bags!!

Tags for the larger bags and I'm sure I'll think of something for the little ones!

Tip Top
03-09-2007, 11:28 AM
Actually Swirly - if you want little tags I have the sizzix scallop tag die and also the oval one which you could put on the smaller brown bags....

I can cut from most things and you can tie them on with a bit of raffia or string.......

Pm me if you want and we can discuss further!!

happy to help!!;)

colourart
03-09-2007, 11:42 AM
Had a thought about the little bags. I have a sheet of labels from Vistaprint with 'a painting by....Colourart' printed on, then it has my contact details, web address etc. I use them for putting on the back of my paintings and I also use them for selling tissue paper when I gift wrap. You could use something like that to seal the little bags up when someone buys from you. Just a thought.

swirlyarts
03-09-2007, 12:55 PM
Had a thought about the little bags. I have a sheet of labels from Vistaprint with 'a painting by....Colourart' printed on, then it has my contact details, web address etc. I use them for putting on the back of my paintings and I also use them for selling tissue paper when I gift wrap. You could use something like that to seal the little bags up when someone buys from you. Just a thought.

Fantastic!! I print my own little labels off that I use on the back of cards etc and I thought about making some more larger ones to go on the bags but using the ones I already have to seal the bags would be fantastic!! Thanks guys!