PDA

View Full Version : Advice please!

swirlyarts
15-06-2007, 03:04 PM
I've been approached by a shop wanting to stock my chicken doorstops (yeah!) She wants them at cost price which isn't a problem (obvioulsy I would add a little on for me ;)) but she doesn't want me to put my labels on them. I don't want to sell my stuff and have the customers not know where they have come from/that they are handmade etc etc.
What would you do?

goldy1
15-06-2007, 03:07 PM
does she give a reason why ? Is it because you are advertising your etsy site? ;)

swirlyarts
15-06-2007, 03:51 PM
I would guess that it's because I am advertising my website and saying that they are made by me but I just can't see why she would want me to take the labels off - they are sewn in so she can add her own card label in the shop.

Funkyhand
15-06-2007, 04:17 PM
It's a strange thing that she doesn't want to have you labels on. :confused: Have you asked her directly why? Seems a bit strange..if she wants them to be seen as only available in her shop you can always ask for more money I suppose!! Your labels trade price, no labels increased price!! See if that changes her attitude, or just a simple 'No' might change her mind too!!
Anice xx :):)

incywincy
15-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Also think its strange? Must be the website link??

I have 2 sets of labels. One for stuff I sell on my site/tuggle, with my website details on...and one I use for shops just with my name 'Sam Gillespie'
But as my stuff is made to order, and I post it out to the customer, I still stick some IWtogs business cards in with the order anyway!!! ;)

Bowed Over
15-06-2007, 04:35 PM
Maybe it's just my bad mind but if she doesn't want your labels on maybe because she might want to put her labels on them and make out they are hers.

Might be totally wrong.

Lisa

0103media
15-06-2007, 05:06 PM
I would guess that it's because I am advertising my website and saying that they are made by me but I just can't see why she would want me to take the labels off - they are sewn in so she can add her own card label in the shop.

Yep just real estate...
Always good to find a way to get your brand on a product thats unremovable..

Door stop yeh.. wooden? could you not burn www.swirlyart.com into the wood in small letters..

imho its best to try and keep away from advertising things like esty to much as you have no control over it.. its a 3rd party which you may give up on in the future.. Stick with 1 domain..

nattynetty
15-06-2007, 05:45 PM
Door stop yeh.. wooden?

Noooo you're such a man Mr Media never paying attention, Swirly's chicken doorstops are fabric - there are pics of them in her advert on the side...you know the ad you helped her with :p:D

Anyway, back to the question - I too think it's a bit dodge her not wanting your labels. Not sure what your label has on it but maybe negotiate with the lady to see if you can come to some kind of comprimise so you still have your label but perhaps not so much info?

And what if you become some big famous designer of chicken doorstops they'd be worth fortunes if your label was on them whereas those in her shop with no label wouldn't be!

0103media
15-06-2007, 06:06 PM
Noooo you're such a man Mr Media never paying attention, Swirly's chicken doorstops are fabric - there are pics of them in her advert on the side...you know the ad you helped her with :p:D

Now who do u think u are hehehehehehe

lol...

Its friday.. Leave me alone nattynetty heehehe What u doing up so early anyway hehehe

Back on topic...
I agree with the nasty one above :D

swirlyarts
15-06-2007, 06:08 PM
She hasn't approached me directly but got in touch with me through my mum. They work together at a shopping village - my mum is the manager of the shoe shop whereas this woman is in charge of the householdy shop. She has ordered a doorstop from me for herself and I think it was just an afterthought to see if she could get any for the shop. The label says that it was handmade for you by Lynsey at swirlyarts.com so I guess it is the website that is putting her off. I'm going to stick to my guns and say that if she wants them then she will have to take them with the labels.

Seahorse
15-06-2007, 06:12 PM
I reckon as you will be missing out on advertising as it wont have your label on it you should UP the price you sell them to her for.
You cant lose out on money!!

You have the upper hand, you have something she wants.YOU HAVE THE POWEEER.....just like He-man.

Mr Media-There there, never mind, are the nasty ladies being horrid to you(I have to be nice to him as he is making a site for me)would 0103 like a nice ice cweem.

colourart
15-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Does she sell other items similar to you? because my guess is she doesn't want to direct people away from her shop to your website. She wants people to shop with her, and not directly with you. She's probably going to put a huge mark up on your chickens.

I think its already been suggested but you could ask for a compromise and simply put your name on the label, or perhaps 'hand crafted by....'

In my experience its better to ask for what you want and if it doesn't work out on terms you are happy with, then it wasn't meant to be. After all you're the one doing the hard work.

Well done, btw the doorstop are seriously cute and I'm sure they'll sell very well. Good luck:)

GEM
16-06-2007, 01:06 AM
I would take the labels off, sell them and take the money. Without money you cannot achieve anything.

I would assume she doesn't want people browsing, seeing your website address on the product and then not buying from her. It sounds like pretty normal business sense to me. As mutual satisfaction.. just put your margin up a little on everything you sell her.... and sell her a LOT.

Regards
James.

beadsbydesign
16-06-2007, 10:30 AM
This is the cruel side of business. It is a mark of sucess and the difference between you being an artist and a business person. You feel a strong ownership to your product and rightly want recognition for your design (that's the artist in you!)
Business head on for a minute...... you have been offered the chance to sell a load of your stock. Why not? if you are happy with the price you would get, then your ownership ends right there. Have you attempted a compromise with the shop, "I understand you don't want to have my website on the product, but the name is a brand. Could I put my Logo on with care instructions?" Tell her it is a matter of covering yourself legally!! ;) (You could just put Swirlyarts .... it is easy to google if people do want to find you). Professionalism and confidence is the key when deeling with situations like this. Perhaps you could offer her exclusive rights on certain fabrics etc, comission on orders taken by her for your products etc. Don't turn it down business is business! This could be the first step to you becomming a millionaire!!
Think carefully about the cost you can sell them to her for. It must be worth your while. It is difficult to raise prices at a later date so the price you first give her should be sensible.
Think about contracts etc. Are you going to be selling outright or on a sale or return.
Sale outright is the easiest option, but some stores are reluctant to pay up front.
if you go down the sale or return track then consider the following:

Who is responsible for damage or theft whilst on the shops premisis
You need to be able to prove what stock the shop has and that you have ownership rights. (if the shop goes bust then the recievers take the whole stock ..... unless you can prove ownership)
How will the product be displayed and promoted?There are lots of other isues to consider too.