• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • matthewwtaylor
    Junior crafter
    • Dec 2010

Need Help making Fimo Cufflinks

Hi,

I have a thing for the Old Robinsons Gollies. I am toying with the idea of making some using FIMO Clay. Does anyone have any ideas to help me produce some. Mostly how do I get the shape and get the Cufflink Backs to stick to the Clay.

I take it as well that FIMO can be painted OK.
  • craftybeader
    100+ crafts club
    • Jul 2009

I use E600 to stick metal to the baked Fimo. Fimo CAN be painted but dont forget to varnish it afterwards.
    Bedecked Beads-Handcrafted Jewellery from Scotland

http://www.facebook.com/bedeckedbeads

Comment

• matthewwtaylor
      Junior crafter
      • Dec 2010

Many thanks for stating the Glue to use. Do U have any ideas on how I may be able to get the shape of the golly. Any help greatly received. And when product has been made will make a reference to you for your assistance

Comment

• celticmix
        100+ crafts club
        • Jul 2010

If its from a badge you could use that as a 'stamp' and press into the Fimo. I've done this with PMC and it worked a treat.

If its a picture you could use a transfer technique. You may find this link helpful. http://artsyclay.blogspot.com/2008/0...-tutorial.html

It has a video on it as well. Its always worth checking out the YouTube videos as well.
        Originally posted by matthewwtaylor View Post
        Many thanks for stating the Glue to use. Do U have any ideas on how I may be able to get the shape of the golly. Any help greatly received. And when product has been made will make a reference to you for your assistance
        Charters
        http://charterscharm.blogspot.com/last updated 28th Mar '11

Comment

• ejralph
          Super Big Crafter
          • Nov 2006

Don't forget, if you sand the back of the clay and the surface of the cufflink where they are to be glued, you will get a stronger bond as you have provided a key for the glue.

Likewise with painting, if you can use some very fine sandpaper over the baked clay just to take off any shine, the paint will adhere very well.

Another thing you can try is to make a mould using some scrap clay - great if you have a 3d badge or anything that you want to replicate. Once baked, you can use the mould over and over - just use some talcum powder or a spritz of water as a release and don't leave any unbaked clay sitting in the mould.
          Emma
          www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
          www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
          www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

• matthewwtaylor
            Junior crafter
            • Dec 2010

Many thanks for the comments so far pointing me in directions. I have enclosed a picture of what I want the cufflinks to look like. I could make a mould for this but how then can I use FIMO to fit into the mould or is there a better thing I could use.

SAILOR.jpg

Comment

Working...
            X