PDA

View Full Version : Selling cards and What Not

Paper Trinkets
13-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Hello all,

I am just beginning on my journey with selling cards. So far, so good but as a perfectionist I am finding the following an issue.

I use a lot of large brads, buttons, ribbon and tie knots etc in my work. Once my cards are placed in an envelope I find that these items poke "through". You can see the outline and I feel this ruins the effect of what I think is a beautiful card.

I'd like to begin charging 4/ 4.50 as I intend on making my cards larger and sending each card in a presentation box. However, I have been told that this is far too pricey by the majority of folks I ask.

I have sold the odd card at this price but most people feel that 3 is more like it.

May I ask you opinions please?

Laurie
13-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Hi there,
I have been making and selling cards for a few years now and find that in the current financial climate people don't want to pay a great deal for them, especially when they can get them from places like Moonpig where they are personalised at just a couple of pounds. When I have made cards with lots of raised items on I have tended to make my envelopes with the envelope score maker but using very heavy paper so it can handle the raised embellishments better. On the whole the most I charge for my large cards tends to be about two pounds fiftyish but doing it this way tends to mean people will buy several and will come back time and time again.
Anyway hope this helps.
Best wishes.
Debs.

KullakitaCards
13-09-2010, 07:28 PM
The cards that I sell online vary from 3.50 - 5.25 (personalised). Some are wedding invitations, but others are birthday cards, etc. Feel free to have a look at both my website and notonthehighstreet shop.

Emma.

homemade hannah
13-09-2010, 07:42 PM
Hi there,

I sell cards that range in price from 1 to 3.50. I find that this makes them affordable for most. I also make up batches of thank you cards, tie them with a pretty ribbon and sell 5 for 5. This has proven quite a good move as often people have more than one person to thank, say after a birthday/Christmas. For my next fair I am also going to make up a pretty little box with 10 cards for all occasions. These little ideas can help maximise 'basket value' on low ticket items such as cards.

I just hate it when someone picks up one of my cards priced at 2.50 and they say 'Ooh but I can get 10 for a pound at The Card Factory'. I just tell them that mine aren't printed in a factory in China and they are all unique cards. If they are still funny I just give them the directions to The Card Factory.

My issue at the moment is getting the gsm right for the cards I am selling. I want to use 300gsm cards but this is proving quite pricey and difficult to source. I have used 260gsm for my 1 cards and I can make about 70p per card on that.

moni219
13-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Hi,I have now been selling my cards for many years now.The thing is some people can see and under stand all the time
we put into just one card,while others think they cost to much. You will find what ever you do you will not win.
I have had a bargain box at the front and people walk right past it and then buy a boxed card for 3.99.

the card shark
13-09-2010, 08:34 PM
I've sold cards on Folksy for up to 4.80 each (but this includes p&p). So some people will pay more.

I think it's key to have a balance between the more spec-ial expensive cards and cheaper quicker to make cards. That way they'll be something for everyone.

Floobynooby
13-09-2010, 08:49 PM
We have sold cards on the site of up to 15 which people are happy to pay if they like the design, have also had requests for more expensive cards, so I don't think its an issue with people being prepared to pay extra for a card if they like the design. However we have only sold online, so I have no experience of selling at craft fairsl

Christa
13-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Hi there
I'm not sure if you have tried expandable envelopes? They are thicker quality and designed specifically to accomodate highly embellished cards.

On the subject of larger cards - bless the post office they really hit the large cards market when they changed the postal charges system and increased postage costs for larger cards or thicker...
BUT there is still a market for them and the larger boxed variety do sell...but usually for very special occasions - and this often means the card will be hand delivered and nobody gives a hoot about the cost or standard of care of the postal service.

Pricing is a toughie to judge. I undercharged when I first started selling my cards and someone pointed out that people still believe that you get what you pay for...and those likely to appreciate hand crafted goods will also appreciated the time and skill that goes into making them and will pay accordingly. I guess its about knowing your target market .

I wish you luck.

krafty1
13-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Hannah.... have you tried Paper Mill for your heavier cardstock - they work out very reasonable.

homemade hannah
13-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Hannah.... have you tried Paper Mill for your heavier cardstock - they work out very reasonable.

No not tried them. I am not very confident making my own card blanks. I tend to buy blank packs for safety reasons! I might pop along there tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!

Christa
14-09-2010, 01:25 AM
My issue at the moment is getting the gsm right for the cards I am selling. I want to use 300gsm cards but this is proving quite pricey and difficult to source. I have used 260gsm for my 1 cards and I can make about 70p per card on that.

not sure what size/style you prefer to work with or the quantity that you require but QVC sell packs of 108 assorted size square cards (including gatefolds) in 300gsm white card with envelopes for just over 20quid. P&P is steep but delivery is quick and by courier. All in, it works out at 24p per card....would be less if you bought more than one pack at a time.
I've had some gorgeous 300 & 350 gsm card blanks from craftworks cards too.