PDA

View Full Version : Lavender

Lucy Elizabeth
11-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Hi there,

I've got loads of lavender from the garden, some even from last year that I've just dried and put in a bag in my drawer.

What can I do with it that's a bit more interesting than little drawer scenters or padded hangers? It would be great to make some lovely (cheapish) christmas presents.

Many thanks in advance x

Critchley
11-09-2010, 08:48 AM
Dont forget Lavender Pillows too. An awful lot of insomniacs about these days and Lavender helps you relax for sleep I believe. I have no idea how you would go about reducing it to a concentrate but there must be a way. Maybe look into that.

removed10
12-09-2010, 02:44 AM
Lavender pillows are wonderful. However, distilling your own lavender into a 'concentrate' is no easy thing to do. All you would need is to purchase some lavender essential oil.

Let me suggest potpourri! You can dry and preserve all sorts of flowers and add lots of your lovely lavender to it! Scent the fixative with some lavender EO or something complimentary to your lavender...find a nice little dish to put it in, et voila, you have a lovely gift!

AnnieAnna
12-09-2010, 08:07 AM
In the old days.......400 years ago they...
1. put it into little bags to keep with their clothes to keep the moths off,
2. (for this idea you need to pick the lavender fresh) made lavender favours/wands/faggots/sticks: have an odd number with long stalks and weave silky ribbon round the stalks to make a cage around the flower heads,
3. added it to pot pourri,
4. made lavender water and
5. lavender oil (I don't know how to do these last two, I just gaze in awe as the Still Room Mistresses do things with stills and lambricks as I stand there dripping blood waiting for them to bandage me up.),
6. added it to sweeties - like peppermint creams but lose the peppermint,
7. added it to biscuits - like little shortbread type biscuits
8. sprinkled the flowers on salads,
9. Added it to gently flavoured fruit jams,
10. flavoured soap and soapballs with it,
11. and salves and skin creams.
Now I'll go modern:
12. pot up the seedlings and make a hedge / give them away as presents / sell them
13. bag up all the surplus, sell it and become a millionaire. Have you seen the price of the stuff in the shops!!!!!!!!

AnnieAnna
www.anniethepedlar.com (http://www.anniethepedlar.com)

Oh! I forgot something a child described to me yesterday in a museum. This was from a 'Victorian'. You make a tiny basket out of the stalks and each year replenish the lavender flower heads inside.

AnnieAnna
12-09-2010, 08:09 AM
Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose, eh Cosmic? :p

(For those who did German or Spanish at school - "Nothing changes" or "If ain't broke, don't fix it".) ;)

removed10
12-09-2010, 09:08 AM
Mais oui!

There is a jam and jelly vendor at several markets we attend who makes lavender jelly - it is actually tres bon! It would be so good on hot biscuits dripping with butter. And I don't mean a cookie, y'all! =D

It's 3:00 in the morning and I just woke up from a bizarre nightmare so I am sitting here with some of my own dried lavender...sniffing it and shaking...

tipsylipsy
12-09-2010, 09:35 AM
What about a Shabby Chic door wreath, I have been thinking about making one from the lavendar in my garden. You can buy the wreath itself quite cheaply then weave the lavendar stalks onto them, let me see if I can find an image of one........ ah yes here is one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0011ECJBC/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=284507&s=kitchen

removed10
12-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Isn't that beautiful! What about mini-wreaths?

Critchley
12-09-2010, 10:09 AM
That is absolutely lovely. I would love to have a go. I wonder if you can buy the basic wreaths as a one off or do you have to buy multiples.

tipsylipsy
12-09-2010, 11:37 AM
That is absolutely lovely. I would love to have a go. I wonder if you can buy the basic wreaths as a one off or do you have to buy multiples.

There are a few here on ebay
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=wicker+wreath&_sacat=See-All-Categories

and I bought some a while ago from here http://www.calicocrafts.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss000001.pl?RANDOM=NETQUOTEVAR%3ARANDOM&PAGE=SEARCH&SS=wreath&TB=A&PR=-1&GB=A&SX=0

I'm sure there are tons of places you can get them cheaper - not that I know where they are of course I always seem to pay top dollar for everything!!