PDA

View Full Version : Selling outside the UK

twilightsewn
10-03-2007, 10:05 PM
I'd be interested from others who sell outside the UK. I've tentatively opened up to postage to the US and Europe. I'm going to use International Signed for, which is not the cheapest, but I'd rather people signed on delivery.

The problem is, is that my items don't cost a great deal, sometimes the postage costs more.

So any ideas, thoughts, experiences would be welcome.

Thanks
Shana

Apple Tree Crafts
10-03-2007, 10:22 PM
.......but well worth it.

I had problems selling to USA through eBay. Buyers were claiming that their items hadn't arrived and then going directly for refunds through PayPal.

So, if your international buyers are going to pay with PP, then they can do the same. I can understand one or two parcels going astray, but I had 5 go missing in as many weeks.

Three were to the same buyer who bought lots of things over several days - I checked all their details etc over & over and they were correct. I came to the conclusion a fast one was being pulled. They had over 80 worth of stuff, then got a full refund through PP including P&P. And because I hadn't sent anything recorded delivery I couldn't argue.

I was just setting up on my own, and it was an expensive lesson to learn.:mad:

Jules

Peter
10-03-2007, 10:59 PM
I'd be happy to sell to anybody.:p

twilightsewn
11-03-2007, 12:02 AM
Jules

Thanks for that insight, I'm going for the recorded delivery option, but it makes me wonder if it's worth it. I sell my stuff for not much that a fat quarter or two of fabric, it might not seem much to lose, but I do this for the love it of it. So to even lose a few pounds would hurt.

IF, and it's a big IF, I get any sales outside the UK, I'll have to watch closely.

And Peter, what can I say, not only are you finding your feminine side, you're selling it to anyone who'll buy it ;)

Shana

midnightmaven
15-05-2007, 05:21 AM
I am actually from the US and have had similar problems and now do a Delivery Confirmation through the United States Postal Service. If you have such a service through your postal service I highly recommend it. Don't give up though because I love ordering from other countries even though it seems costly because other countries have different products.

Katianne
15-05-2007, 07:27 AM
I didn't know you could get a refund through paypal - how does that work? Don't you need the sellers permission or can you just take the money back? That's worrying if you can!!!

Tip Top
15-05-2007, 08:25 PM
I didn't know you could get a refund through paypal - how does that work? Don't you need the sellers permission or can you just take the money back? That's worrying if you can!!!

Paypal has a buyer protection clause that if the item has not arrived (or damaged etc) and you've not come to an amicable solution with the seller then you can claim a refund. If you are the buyer then it is fairly easy to get a refund. There is a period of I think 60 days that you need to wait before the process starts and then a dispute log is opened to which you have to respond, provide all shipping & tracking details etc. Then the buyer has to respond and paypal views all comments etc and then decides on what action should be taken (refund or not). It can sometimes take a while to go through, and on some occassions, it has worked in our favour as a seller as its been proved that the buyer has received the item (or at least its got delivered to the right location).:D

So, go for the International Signed for option - its also a lot quicker than normal airmail as its priority handled. It might cost an extra 3 or so, but its worth it!!

Hope this helps!!:)