PDA

View Full Version : Wheel question

KEceramics
13-02-2010, 09:37 AM
I've recently bought myself a Potters wheel off eBay, an old one from a school who have taken out their Ceramics facilities (such a shame! why isn't Craft taught anymore???)

I'm thinking about converting the wheel head to one that is 'pinned' so I can use a batt system.

I've contacted a few of the 'big name' Ceramics suppliers and they aren't able to advise me about switching over without any brand details or manufacturers information, of which I have none, there's no name plate or any kind of branding on it at all!

I wonder what you guys think I'm best doing? Can I drill the existing wheel head and use 'screws' and wingnuts underneath? Should I not bother? Is it simple enough to get 'pinned' wheelheads?

and if there are any potters out there that use a batt system, what do you recommend.

potpartner
13-02-2010, 10:08 AM
If it's an alloy wheelhead (like ours) you can get someone like a local small engineering firm to drill one hole dead centre and the other around 2 thirds out from the centre. Get them to tap a thread in the holes with a thread that will match the bolts you plan to use.

Ours has two 'allen key' head bolts inserted. These measure 10 mm accross the head and are well strong. the beauty of using allen key headed bolts is ...1/ they have circular heads and it is easy to drill holes in your batts to match and 2/ they will be easy to replace if ever need to be.. mine have been in for years and are still fine.

If it's a steel head then the drilling will be much harder to do but I have no experience of modifying a steel/ cast wheelhead so cant say what is best for that type.

KEceramics
13-02-2010, 10:29 AM
I'm assuming it's an alloy wheelhead, dull soft pale colour, feels 'light'

so I'll look into getting it drilled. Thanks for the feedback.

Might I ask, do you use commercial batts or just cut your own. I have seen a potter on Youtube and he uses a thin 'masonite' cut and drilled, but I have no clue what masonite is and what other names it might go by.

It looks perfect for the job though, think and durable, waterproof.

Would appreciate any comments :)

onlyme
13-02-2010, 10:34 AM
Masonite is that thin cardboardy stuff you get from the DIY stores - hardboard I think we call it? Shiny one side, textured the other. Artists use it a lot - except me.

potpartner
13-02-2010, 10:35 AM
I just buy 12 mm exterior grade plywood from the DIY store and draw round a plate or whatever size i want them to be and set about cutting them out with the Jigsaw. Then I just drill the 2 holes in them. Not my most favourite job in the world but it's cost effective.

Daesul
13-02-2010, 07:06 PM
The company that supply Potterycrafts with their wheels will put removable studs in your wheelhead for you for about 20 - if only I could remember their name!!!!!

They can also provide batts made of marine ply to fit the wheelhead.

If I come across their name I'll come back to you but at the moment my mind is a blank...

toppotter
14-02-2010, 05:49 PM
I agree with everything said above. Masonite is an american product a bit like soffit board here in the UK. Its a bit brittle in my opinion maybe the American brand is different cos they seem to like it.
For pins I suggest you use stainless M8 capheads with wingnuts. If you are getting an engineering company to drill the wheel head I bet thell have a few to hand.

If you want to buy 7ply bats we sell them see
http://www.toppotsupplies.co.uk/uwheels--accessoriesu-15-c.asp

regards
Robin