• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • glowingsunsets
    100+ crafts club
    • May 2007

Can anyone help me please ?

I've just bought a uv filter, because I've got arthritus in my thumbs I'm finding it really hard to attach and unattach the filter because it's pretty small Does anyone know if there's anything I could add to it, so I've got more to grip ?
    http://manicmosaics.blogspot.co.uk/

• claireybear
    Super crafter
    • May 2008

Not sure if this would work, but I was wondering whether one of those silicone things you get to help you open jars etc would give you a better grip?

Comment

• Fubsy
      Moderate crafter
      • Feb 2009

you can buy "filter wrenches" from camera suppliers. they usually come in a couple of different sizes depending on your filter. It's good to buy a pair for when two filters are stuck! You could also try something that is flat and rigid but has a rubbery non-slip surface. gently press this down on the end of the filter and twist. In the past I have heard it suggested that you can use the sole of your shoe!! Filter wrenches are much better.

Good Luck

Comment

• alibear
        Super crafter
        • Mar 2009

I'm wondering if a rubber belt from a vacuum cleaner or something would fit suggly round it? Or perhaps you could wrap it round the rim, cut it to size and glue it on? Might be worth checking out the relevant shops/market stalls in your area.
        www.belovedly.co.uk
        www.mybelovedlylife.blogspot.com
        www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Comment

• glowingsunsets
          100+ crafts club
          • May 2007

Thanks for the help everyone, the filter wrench is perfect for getting it off, I would still have problems getting it attached in the first place though
          http://manicmosaics.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

• sirhoot
            Junior crafter
            • Jul 2009

Is there any reason that you need to remove the UV filter? A lot of photographers leave them on, to protect the more costly lens.

Comment

• pokemonfan
              Junior crafter
              • Apr 2010

Yes, it´s nonsense if you remove the UV filter, that is going to damage your camera lens instantly, try to contact your nearest camera item provider and ask if there is a way to work this out, in not a home made way, remember that cameras are tools that one must protect from damage, it has the power to retain history, in a single snap. Hope you find a way to solve your problem, cheers.
              cuban cigars

Cigars

Comment

• Classical Genesis
                100+ crafts club
                • May 2008

I have always kept a UV filter attached to each lens I have ever had. The filter is very subtle in its effect and can be retained on the lens through almost all photographic environments. The main benefit here is that it protects the lens. I would rather damage a cheap filter than I would a lens anytime.

Of course, you will still need the filter wrench for that odd occasion you do wish to remove or replace it.

Clive
                Learning together for profit or pleasure
                I could be unhappy with my life but someone keeps sending me spring

Blog https://classicalgenesis.wordpress.com

Comment

• colind
                  Junior crafter
                  • Aug 2010

A filter wrench costs between £3 and £4 [2 sizes available, depending on the size of filter, which can be purchased through Speed Graphic Mail Order Ltd, Unit 4 Woodlea Park, Station Approach, Four Marks, ALTON, Hampshire, GU34 5AZ, Telephone 01420 560066

Comment

Working...
                  X