PDA

View Full Version : Friends wedding invites

Seahorse
23-02-2007, 09:09 AM
I went to my pals last night for dinner and to show them the designs ive made for their wedding invites.
Ribbon was used and a tartan theme was relevant so I did a few weaving designs and they really liked them!
Kept the price down as alot of money was going to other things.
But at the end of it we got a proper colour scheme, a more defined idea of a final design for wedding/evening invites and...most importantly...I get a guillotine out of it!!!

swirlyarts
23-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Yay!! My tip would be to start them early and keep going at them when you have any spare chance - I left my friends til the last minute and sitting up at 3 in the morning putting seed beads onto thread wasn't my idea of fun!!

Seahorse
23-02-2007, 10:37 AM
Yep, I subtley said the earlier we start I wont have to rush and the cost will be spread out for them.They are getting married in over a year so should get them done in time.

I think its July 08 they are getting married, when should the cards go out?

swirlyarts
23-02-2007, 10:49 AM
I can't remember off hand but if you look at confetti.co.uk I think they have a link - if not some other wedding sites do. If you can't find it on confetti then I will have a look through my bookmarks for you.

KazzaBird
25-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Hey there,

I made my own invites and only just got them finished in time to send for my wedding last August :D .

Am a newbie, but we sent them mid may for a mid August wedding. It's typically I think about 2.5 months before the date you are meant to send them.

HTH x

Seahorse
26-02-2007, 09:06 AM
Went shopping at Hobbycraft, got a 'Wedding Invitation' stamp, got a bumper pack of frosted shrinkles, and some ribbon.I get to play today!!

I also got a mini trampoline, not very crafty but fun!!

swirlyarts
26-02-2007, 10:45 AM
I also got a mini trampoline, not very crafty but fun!!

From Hobbycraft?? They are branching out :D

Seahorse
26-02-2007, 11:13 AM
Hehe, no, luckily there was an Argos next door.

Seahorse
26-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Can you believe Ihad to google how to weave!!

I started by putting alternate coloured ribbon down each side and I couldnt work out why it didnt look right, so googled weaving and realised I had to put the same colour down each side!!

I dont feel too bad about it as Im 31 and I havnt weaved for quite some time.

Francesca
01-03-2007, 08:46 PM
6 weeks at the very latest, and peeps have started sending out "save the date" magnets a lot earlier too just to let people know so they dont book holidays etc at the same time

They sounds lovely and you've got plenty of time too.

Francesca

indri
01-03-2007, 09:29 PM
6-8 weeks before is when we sent them. We didn't bother with Save the Date magnets or cards or other things as that never occurred to us. Besides, unless you are invited Great Aunt Bessie who lives in South Africa and haven't spoken to in 10 years nearly all guests hear by word of mouth or blatantly asking outright what the date is anyway, so to me it seems an unneccessary expense.

I think you'll have plenty of time to get the invites made if you are already getting close to the final design. I made my own invites and it took me about 2 months (just doing a little bit in the evenings, and not every day either).

Seahorse
24-07-2007, 12:44 PM
Urrgh, ploughing through evening invites, only done about 8, got 30ish more to do..bored bored bored...

Bowed Over
24-07-2007, 01:11 PM
I've done a similar thing. My nephew is getting married on 1 September and he asked if I would make the wedding favours and the centre pieces. No problem I said (this was in May). Got quite busy with the site so kept putting back his candles. Well I really need to get my fingers out only a month to go - 9 centre piece candles and 60 personalised favours to make AAARRRGGGHHHH.

Think I will be bored soon too.

Cheers.

Lisa

:o

Seahorse
24-07-2007, 01:18 PM
12 down, 32 to go.I seem to have worked out a time saving system, still dull tho.

Tip Top
24-07-2007, 01:31 PM
If it helps, I have a piece of paper and mark a 'I' on it - when I get to 4 'I' then a diagonal across to make it a 5. Bit like counting down the days to get out of jail. heheheh ;)

And then I'm chuffed when I've done 5!!

Sommerwood
24-07-2007, 03:10 PM
I had to do 100 photo frames for one customer earlier this year, painted and then their website on them and their logo, which I made out of creative plastic. So not only did I have to sit there painting the frames and writing the website over and over and over again, I had to cut out each intricate logo from the creative plastic and then shrink them and glue them on, was mind numbing, but you just have to think about the money and it is all worth while!!:)

Seahorse
24-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Mind numbing is the right phrase.Cant say Im enjoying it but I seem to have mastered a routine and Ive done as much as I can today.Just ran out of ribbon so thats all I can do.
Made a list of what I need for next shopping trip.

Heart and Design
25-07-2007, 10:36 AM
Hi, good luck with the invitations.
I am just starting an order for 183 items of wedding stationery which each have 7 2mm crystals to glue on. I just worked it out that a grand total of 1281 crystals. I find it quite therapeutic doing something repetative which doesnt require much thought, I think it comes from working in a factory for two years when I left college. I just kind of drift off and start planning things and designing stuff in my head. Only problem is I get all excited about my new idea and have to force myself to complete the order before I go off and play.
I hope you are going to post a piccie of the finished invites, Im quite intriqued by the weaving, its not something I had thought of doing, though maybe I should as I have a HND in rug weaving (not the most useful qualification but it kept me busy for a couple of years).
Good luck with the rest of your stationery

Paula x

Seahorse
25-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Thanks.
What do you use to get a tiny glob of glue onto the surface?
I have found a cocktail stick to be of great use.
Yep, Il try to get piccies once they are done.

Heart and Design
25-07-2007, 12:37 PM
Hi Seahorse
I use hotfix crystals and a hotfix applicator, they are brilliant. I would say my hotfix applicator was one of the best things I have ever bought. Its much quicker than glue and there is no drying time so it speeds things up for me loads. I just timed myself and I have managed to do 34 invitations in a hour, I'm pretty impressed with that. Its a new design and when I did my initial timings and costings I only did about 20 in a hour. This is one of the sad little things i do to keep myself amused when doing the more repetative jobs, I time myself and see if I can beat my record in the next hour. (I think maybe I need to get out more!).
Im looking forward to seeing your finished invitations.
Paula

Seahorse
25-07-2007, 01:04 PM
34 in an hour!You lucky ducky, I did 20 in an hour.

Seahorse
22-10-2007, 11:47 AM
Was going to get stuck into making pals invites last week but couldnt find double side tape or ribbon i needed, now I have tape and ribbon but cant find a rubber stamp which I had last week!!!!!

Tip Top
22-10-2007, 12:08 PM
And I thought it was just me that did things like that!!:mf:

swirlyarts
22-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Nah - it happens to the best of us!!

EMEvans
22-10-2007, 08:55 PM
I'm forever miss placing things including stock, i have now got myself a big (very big as it's an inch off my ceiling) stash unit. It took all day sunday to build and it's taken the best part of today to fil........lol.

Seahorse
23-10-2007, 09:06 AM
Had a look for the satamp at home but couldnt find it, so annoying as I swear i saw it in a bag here last week.

anyhoo, going to force myself to do a day of weaving, not looking forward to it.

swirlyarts
23-10-2007, 09:11 AM
Had a look for the satamp at home but couldnt find it, so annoying as I swear i saw it in a bag here last week.

anyhoo, going to force myself to do a day of weaving, not looking forward to it.

You'll feel better when you have done it though!

Seahorse
09-11-2007, 10:12 AM
I found the stamp!!!
Was about to place an order for a new one online, decided to do one last search, looked in a bag id looked in before..and found it.Phew.Now I dont have the shrinkles with me so I cant get on with what I wanted to do.

beadsbydesign
09-11-2007, 10:29 AM
I found the stamp!!!
Was about to place an order for a new one online, decided to do one last search, looked in a bag id looked in before..and found it.Phew.Now I dont have the shrinkles with me so I cant get on with what I wanted to do.

That happens to me so often. usually with something really important like a clients earrings etc.

Seahorse
09-11-2007, 10:44 AM
That happens to me so often. usually with something really important like a clients earrings etc.

Saying that reminded me that I discovered some earrings yesterday that should be with a necklace Im selling!! Im soo not organised.

Seahorse
14-11-2007, 02:10 PM
Climbed hill....saw the top....climbed for all my might......struggle....ribbon....weaving....double sided sticky tape......need water......nearly made it....all done.All the cards i was given are now completed.I hope i get a break for a while.Im all weaved out.

swirlyarts
14-11-2007, 02:58 PM
All done? Well done!!