Beeswax Furniture Polish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greannancrafts
    Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
    • Oct 2008

Beeswax Furniture Polish

Does anyone have a fail proof recipe for a beeswax furniture polish?

I am looking for one to bring an old table back to "life"

Any help would be appreciated.

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties
  • bodrighy
    • Mar 2009

There is a recipe here

What does the table look like? If it is scratched or scarred, you may need to do more than just apply polish

Pete
    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
    Facebook

Website

Comment

• sparklyshoes
      Super Big Crafter
      • Oct 2009

I need to call my pa today, so let me ask him if he worked it out from his beekeeping days. I'll post again later if he did.

Tho pretty sure b&q have something good to, unless making was your aim.

Krysia
      my folksy
      Kryshees Blog
      www.kryshees.com

Comment

• JABBY
        100+ crafts club
        • Feb 2005

Why make it, craft supplies sell various beeswax items.

Have a look at www.craftsupplies.co.uk

cheers
        John
        Own a piece of passion! Explore JB Woodcraft UK's exquisite, handcrafted woodcrafts. Discover unique designs and timeless pieces. Shop now!

Comment

• TePe
          100+ crafts club
          • Aug 2009

I don't think there is such a thing as a 'fail safe' way of tiding old furniture. All such methods should be tested on a out of the way part of the work, just to be sure before you hit the full piece.

If the idea is just to renovate a stable but dirty surface a good recipe is - Mix together equal parts of turpentine, methylated spirit and boiled linseed oil. Put in an old jam jar and shake well. You don't need to mix a lot, I don't know if it keeps well.

To renovate just put a small amount on a rag and polish hard, you will find you have to keep changing rags as they pick up the dirt. Keep the buffing time and pressure equal over all the area to keep the surface looking uniform. Don't leave it lying on the surface unless you wish to strip the top completely, it will melt/dissolve most old french polish and wax finishes if left on for any time.

With modern two part finishes it takes off the ingrained dirt and brings back the sparkle for a while.

When happy leave for a day or two to dry off and harden, then re polish. Personally I wouldn't use a wax based polish if the item is in daily use. As nice as a wax finish is it does nothing to protect a wood surface, unless waxed every day. They all dry out in time.

If the item has been polished regularly using the modern silicone spray polishes, you may have to try the same mixture using a pad of 0000 wire wool to break into the top coating, but you will have to be careful it can be a bit brutal if too rough.

Good luck.

Changed syntax, missed out the n't on wouldn't
          Last edited by TePe; 02-12-2009, 04:00 PM.
          regards

Tam "now a hobby woodturner"

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. (John Ruskin 1819-1900)

Comment

• Lunchbox
            Junior crafter
            • Dec 2009

Not got a recipe, but I use a beeswax I got at Asda of all places. IIRC it is an own brand one and I found it was better than one I'd previously bought at B&Q. Was a nice surprise as it was also cheaper than B&Q.

You have however inspired me to make my own to see if I can do any better. Never thought of making it before.

Comment

• bodrighy
              • Mar 2009

You'd be surprised where you can get the stuff. I answered an ad on Freecycle and ended up with 6 10 gallon drums of liquid beeswax, 10 1 gallon tins of the same and 45 normal size tins of hard wax polish. A lifetimes supply. Get a surprising amount of wood via the same store as well.

Pete
              "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
              Facebook

Website

Comment

Working...
              X