• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CitiGal
    Junior crafter
    • Sep 2009

Memory Wire - tarnished

ive just received some silver plated memory wire for some bracelets i will be making from a seller on Ebay - i have used the seller before with no problems so can only think they didnt notice that some parts were tarnished. is there a way to clean the wire or woudl it just be best to return - taking in mind that teh wire will be covered with beads. i should also add im new to jewellery making so now thinking maybe i should just have got normal memory wire instead.
  • Opus Creative Jewellery
    Junior crafter
    • Oct 2009

Tarnished memory wire

I would definitely send it back, although silver (and silver plating) does tarnish eventually I don't really think people want to buy things that are tarnished already. Even though it will be covered in beads bits of the wire are bound to show through and I think that would put people off buying it. Kathryn. x

Comment

• CitiGal
      Junior crafter
      • Sep 2009

Thanks for your comments Kathryn - think i will send it back - i thought it was like silver i could give it a clean and buff it back up but probably best just to send it back as was originally going to try and cut the tarnished parts out but that would probably make a lot less bracelets - think ill just get normal wire for this. Thanks again

Comment

• Di-Ce Beads
        100+ crafts club
        • Jan 2009

Hi.
        I would also send it back as I was given some Silver coloured by a friend which was tarnished in places and was really difficult to work with> I haven't had that problem with the Gold coloured and I have been using that for a while.

Di.

Comment

• CitiGal
          Junior crafter
          • Sep 2009

thanks Di - i guess ive got more to think about - was hoping silver coloured wire wouldnt have problems with tarnishing - im sure ill get there in the end though

Comment

• Di-Ce Beads
            100+ crafts club
            • Jan 2009

Hi.
            If it is not tarnished when you start it should be okay, I just found it frustrating trying to push seed beads past the tarnish. I have made loads on Silver plate without the tarnish when getting gold plated was difficult. How are you finishing the ends? If by stuck on ball (technical term escapes me) and completely bead covered the colour may not matter.

Di.

Comment

• CitiGal
              Junior crafter
              • Sep 2009

i was thinking of just turning them with the pliers and also using the metal balls cemented on.

Comment

Working...
              X