• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Snow angel
    Super crafter
    • Feb 2007

Can anyone who makes soap help

I have just seen this on another forum

**Just a quick word of warning to anyone on here...

To either make soap as has been suggested or to remove packaging from soap and give it as a gift is ILLEGAL unless you hold the relevent safety assessments for the items carried out by a chartered chemist. ALL cosmetic items must also be labelled correctly with full INCI names for ingredients, batch numbers and you must keep a product information file.

If you do not do any of the above you are breaking the law and could be prosecuted - even if just giving it to your mum for christmas!**

Is there any truth to it as i sell some things with bars of soap in so im now not sure if i should take them off my stall

I Love My Computer Because My Friends Live In It
  • The Soap Fairy
    100+ crafts club
    • Mar 2008

Hi

When making/selling/giving as a gift, as a soap maker all soaps have to be labelled with ingredients, batch number etc etc (as you mentioned on your post). If you are buying from someone to sell on they are responsible for labelling this with ingredients, their contact number. batch number blah blah. This person also will have a PIF so at any point you (as a buyer) can request this information.

Does that make sense - probably not - Its late and I am sure someone else will come along and correct me!

Donna
    The Soap Fairy xx
    www.thesoapfairy.net

Comment

• Fiona's mum
      Junior crafter
      • Sep 2009

Hi
      Please forgive me if I'm wrong about this, but I was under the impression that if you sell even 1 bar of soap you need to have certification, however if you are making soap but not selling it (i.e. giving as gifts) you do not need to have certification. I have just had a look on the internet for any more information, and I can only find reference to certification being required for selling soap not giving it as gifts.
      Can anyone clarify this for me please?
      Thanks!

Fiona's mum

Comment

• greannancrafts
        Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
        • Oct 2008

It's a bit like having a dinner party and your guests getting food poisoning - they can sue you.
        The same goes for soap and toiletries, if given as gifts and something goes wrong------------

Jane
        www.just-soaps.com
        Twitter JUSTSOAPS
        FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
        Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

• Fiona's mum
          Junior crafter
          • Sep 2009

So, is it like, you don't have to have certification if you're just making as a hobby and giving as gifts, but it's better to be on the safe side?
          Sorry to keep on about this, but I am genuinely confused by the info that's out there. Surely if you're just soap making as a hobby and not selling it, you can't be breaking the law and therefore you can't need certification?

Comment

Working...
          X