PDA

View Full Version : Photography on greetings cards

x.Sazzle.x
16-09-2009, 09:23 AM
Hi there,

Newbie here!!

Just wondering, if any of you have your photos printed directly on to (A6) greetings cards, where have you found the best place to have this done?

I've always gone to my local Kall Kwik in the past, to have cards printed for my own use, and while the quality is great, they are quite pricey.

I guess the internet is the cost effective route, but I'm wary of not being able to sample the quality before hand.

I've had products from moo.com in the past, which I love, but again, they're quite pricey, which isn't really sensible when you're trying to sell them on for a profit.

So... can anyone recommend a reasonably priced, quality supplier..?

Thanks!

Dagna
16-09-2009, 12:14 PM
It depends how many you want - that size, I print my own. Why not check out the various card making suppliers for stock (Google is your friend for this...), and have a go?

dolts007
16-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Hi, I too print my own as the minimum order for each design is too high a volume for what I sell of a particular card.

In time I may use a local supplier but for now I print my own, cost works out at 90 pence per card including cost of ink

Stampinupgirl
16-09-2009, 03:21 PM
If you only want short runs (10's) to use an uploaded photo, and choose the slower postage, it costs 4.40 from vistaprint on a free notecard offer.

Takes a bit more time, and its a bit of messing around, but worth it if you are going to save a lot!

onlyme
16-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Hi, I too print my own as the minimum order for each design is too high a volume for what I sell of a particular card.

In time I may use a local supplier but for now I print my own, cost works out at 90 pence per card including cost of ink

I'd really love to know how you do that on an A6 card? Every time I try, the picture ends up in one corner or somewhere else I didn't expect! :confused:

x.Sazzle.x
16-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Thanks for your replies :-)

Unfortunately I don't think my printer is really up to the job, yet I've had it less than a year, so can't really justify buying a new one!

Out of interest though, do you print on A4 card, and then trim & fold them, or do you print on ready cut & scored cards?

Stampinupgirl... what is the quality of the Vistaprint ones like?

Ifor-Jones
16-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Hi - a lot of my cards are designs using photos and I print 4 x designs on A4 photographic print paper, then cut and mount on A6 cards with double sided tape. If I am just using photos (rather than in a design) I use Photobox to print photos, which I then mount. Images are very good from there and I wait until I can order a quantity to get the discounts. Surprisingly those cards which are just a mounted photo plus a greeting are the ones that sell best of all (and the cheapest to produce!!)

HappySheep
16-09-2009, 06:26 PM
This is what I do (as well as marketing shots for artists/craftspeople/small businesses) and I use a local printer (wh o is also a graphic designer). She doesn't do large runs and minimum order is 8 x A6 cards, as that is the number she gets from one A3 sheet. She supplies envelopes and cello wrapping, all for 80p a card (which is marginally cheaper than I can print at home for and the quality is so much better). She does other sizes too, also at reasonable prices.

I can give you details if you want, as she does post cards to you if you aren't local enough to collect.

x.Sazzle.x
17-09-2009, 10:51 AM
Hi Happysheep... if you could pass on her details that would be fab, thanks :-)

lightphase
17-09-2009, 08:13 PM
fileprint dot org

based in newcastle they do small print runs. design your card upload, select how many you want get them delivered in 48 hours.

best ones ive done are on the heavy gloss option

a4 38p per card
a5 29p per card

price goes down if you order a few but i just order 2 of each.

there is a heavy gloss option, really nice thick cards

indri
18-09-2009, 12:57 PM
I'd really love to know how you do that on an A6 card? Every time I try, the picture ends up in one corner or somewhere else I didn't expect! :confused:

I've rarely printed my own cards, but when I have I've used a desk top publishing package or if thats not available I'll use word, print on A5 and fold it myself.