PDA

View Full Version : Help with soap layers seperating

SOAP BOY
17-11-2006, 02:55 PM
Hi

i recently attempted some different style of soaps, from 2 to 5 layers including a soap cake which again had 1-3 layers. they looked great and the smell was devine (if i say so myself)

The problem occurred when i started to cut them into slices, as i was doing this the layers seperated :o same happened with the cakes, i tried using different size knives, soap cutter and cheese wire cutter but to no avail.

the soaps where approx 14 - 21 days old (i even did a 2 layer cake and same thing happened...this was only 4hrs old)

Any ideas with what went wrong ?

cheers guys

ste

DivaP
11-12-2006, 04:15 PM
Hi,

Did you spray each layer with surgical spirit before pouring the next layer? I also find it better to pour the next layer when a skin has formed on the bottom layer but it is not totally set. Keep your soap as cool as you can when you are pouring it, that way it shouldn't melt through the next layer.

I usually cut my layer soaps fairly soon after they have set. I once left a loaf soap with embedded pieces in it in a cold room over night. The next day I cut it into slices and all the piecs fell out!

Good luck :)

BeanyCraft
06-12-2008, 03:03 PM
I use surgical spirit to get layers to stick =)

Peter
06-12-2008, 03:11 PM
This is from 2006!