View Full Version : Help regarding self employment.

14-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Hi, I wonder if anyone could help me with following.

I've been self employed for a little over a year but unfortunately things haven't worked out as i'd hoped and I now need to claim jobseekers allowance while I look for work :(

Do I need to notify anyone to let them know I'm no longer self employed, and do I need to return my tax form with the years earnings even though they have been so low?

Thanks in advance.

15-06-2009, 08:11 AM
To be honest, the best thing to do is to just ring HMRC and ask them what you should do!

I believe the answer in both cases is yes - you need to notify them, and you will definitely need to complete a tax return for any years where you were (even partially) self-employed.

Sorry to hear it hasn't worked out :(