PDA

View Full Version : Safety Assessment for Imported Cosmetics

karoloydi
09-06-2009, 09:56 PM
I am importing some cpsmetics from Singapore. What if the manufacturer in Singapore has already made a safety assessment for the product in Singapore. Can this safety assessment be used in the UK? or does it need to be by a chemist that is based in the UK?

soap queen
09-06-2009, 11:19 PM
my understanding is that it depends on what you want to do with them. It is a minefield and anything from outwith the EU is a bit suspect. I dont have full info but when i asked my assessor re products from the USA it seemed fairly tricky and the FDA is VERY strict. I would be very wary to be honest as it could end up costing you a fortune in fees

greannancrafts
10-06-2009, 05:34 AM
I would be very wary - Singapore is not in the EU - so the products may not be made to EU standards.

Talk to your local Trading Standards Officer, they are there to help and are usually very helpful.

I have know of people who have come unstuck though - ended up with 1000s of products that couldn't be sold here.

Please take advice before parting with any money.

Jane

edmundf
15-01-2010, 02:16 PM
I'm a bit late to this thread but I'm a safety assessor and would clarify that the assessment must be made by someone with particular EU qualifications. In the UK it is usually a Chartered Chemist with the Royal Society of Chemistry. Its highly unlikely that a safety assessment done in Singapore is valid.

But in my experience, Far Eastern cosmetics generally do conform to EU Regulations in terms of their ingredients and formulation. But its quite a bit more work on the part of the assessor (and the importer) to get all the paperwork and information to prove it. I generally charge around 50% more for a certificate on an imported Asian product compared with a UK manufactured product.(welcome)

AnnieAnna
16-01-2010, 12:20 PM
I wanted to sell Chilean cosmetics and was told NO! No! No!
They MUST have an EU certificate.
I looked into it and it went along the lines (with a translator doing it for free) 145 for a very simple skin cream made by a crafts type lady and a demand to buy 1000's worth of stuff from a factory using chemicals in theirs. (They would pay for their own EU certificate.) This last lot has a Chilean certificate of safety which looks word for word the same as the EU one.

I threw my hands up in horror and dropped the idea but I say it's about time the world got its act together on cosmetics. They seem to have done it for toys (apart from the small matter of policing it in China).

AnnieAnna
looking for scissors to snip all this red tape into teeny weeny pieces.