PDA

View Full Version : Should I add greetings to the front of my cards.

Happybunny
24-04-2009, 06:10 PM
Hi Chums, I need some of your highly valued advice. Do you think cards are better left blank at the front so people can use them for a choice of occasions or should I put the occasion (Birthday, get well etc) on them. Would you prefer to buy a card with or without.
My cards are in my album if you want to have a peek.

Sue x

Ifor-Jones
24-04-2009, 06:14 PM
I think you need both. I have a good selection of cards with no greeting on the front, but then have birthday, wedding anniversary, thank you, get well, sympathy, congratulations, etc etc. People can then choose whether they just want a blank one and add their own greetings (although I find people normally use the blank ones as notelets and also as a back up, so if they keep some blank ones in they never get caught out with a forgotten birthday etc.), or whether they choose one particularly for a specific occasion.

greannancrafts
24-04-2009, 06:18 PM
I tend to buy "non specific" cards which I can use for any occasion.

Except for special people.

hth

Jane

Happybunny
24-04-2009, 06:39 PM
Many thanks for your comments. Yes, I agree, it would be better to have a selection. It does make more sense to do it that way then people have more of a choice.

Sue x

krafty1
24-04-2009, 06:57 PM
The majority of cards I sell don't have a greeting on it now.

I used to have most of them with greetings on but inevitably I would get ..oh it's a pity that it doesn't this or that on it so now I don't put any greeting on most of them but take my little box of sentiments along with me and if they want a certain greeting on, I can just pop it on and they're happy :)

KullakitaCards
24-04-2009, 07:09 PM
The majority of cards I sell don't have a greeting on it now.

I used to have most of them with greetings on but inevitably I would get ..oh it's a pity that it doesn't this or that on it so now I don't put any greeting on most of them but take my little box of sentiments along with me and if they want a certain greeting on, I can just pop it on and they're happy :)

That's a clever idea!

Meljov5
24-04-2009, 07:29 PM
was really interested to see what people said on this one as I have been struggling with whether or not to have sentiments myself. Did some blank ones and took sentiments with me for last show but can be a bit scary trying to put on straight etc in front of an audience when you are one your own and others are waiting ha ha! Have just tried to do a few of each type now to cover several occasions and will take numbers with me for childrens cards to make life easier :)

jw universe
27-04-2009, 09:32 PM
I like a selection of both but thinking about it, the ones I have looked at/ bought recently have had no front message, even the Valentines Card I bought this year because I thought my boyfriend would love the picture on the card, and I could write my own thing inside. I know my Mum likes picking cards with an attractive cover and a good verse on/ in them rather than just a normal "Happy Birthday" or whatever.

Langara
27-04-2009, 09:40 PM
I think a mix of sentiments and none sentiments.
I have seen a great project making a gift set of cards with spaces for a sentiment and a wallet like a matchbook with a range of sentiments to put in the space. it's here http://nicholeheady.typepad.com/capture_the_moment/2009/03/introducing-mega-mixed-messages.html

indri
28-04-2009, 11:18 AM
I think sentiments on cards that are very obviously for a certain occassion (new baby, wedding) but some cards like the ones you have made with the dog pictures and fairies could be used for more than one occassion and they look lovely enough without anything written on the front. I sometimes think that cards can look too cluttered with greetings on the front and prefer them to have the greeting just on the inside (though I could write that myself!). Always find shops annoying that the majority of cards not only have birthday/easter/christmas on the front but also sister/mother/wife/brother/father/cat etc.... as I prefer to have no mention of what the relation is most of the time!

ikki
02-05-2009, 10:20 PM
I try to have a selection of general greetings on my cards, that way you can please most of the people most of the time. I do find, however, that my customers like "Just to say" on the front of cards, this does make them a good standby for whatever occasion. Never seen a stamp with these words, so it's peeloffs or the printer that I use.

Meljov5
04-05-2009, 09:48 AM
did another fair yesterday had some blank and some with words. All ones bought were with greetings but caused problems with a couple of cards as lady loved one but it was wedding and she wanted engagement and one was new baby and she wanted christening! Were not a design where I could get away with removing and replacing unfortunately. I just need to make more!!!!!!! I have signs on to say I can add sentiments, ages and even names to blank cards but people seem reluctant to ask sometimes I think. :)

moni219
04-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Hi I have just looked at your cards, and must say they are realy lovely.
It has to take you hours to do one.As per your quetion, I leave some blank, an then can add to it if I am asked.:mf: