PDA

View Full Version : How do I get started???

The Bead Fairy
08-02-2009, 07:26 PM
Hi I am completely new to knitting (apart from having a go at scarfs when I was a kid which all ended up as wonky dolls blankets with holes in, and then my mum always cast on and off for me!) I really want to give it a go but have no idea where to start. Is it possible to learn from a book (if so any ideas of good ones) or maybe the internet. or do I need to find someone to teach me?
So if any of you could give me some hints and tips I would be really grateful.
thank you:D

craftyfoxni
08-02-2009, 09:16 PM
Hi bead fairy sorry you are so far away from me or it would love to have a go at teaching you to knit but the best i can offer is to have a look at youtube and there is some good basic vidoes for casting on and off and the bit in the middle!!! let me know how you get on

Linda60
08-02-2009, 09:25 PM
I have loads of knitting books but think online tutorials probably best (I would google learn to knit) and see what comes up. I will have a go in a mo if you like but please do not hesitate to ask specific questions if I can help with any patterns etc. let me know.

Linda

Linda60
08-02-2009, 09:28 PM
I have loads of knitting books but think online tutorials probably best (I would google learn to knit) and see what comes up. I will have a go in a mo if you like but please do not hesitate to ask specific questions if I can help with any patterns etc. let me know.

Linda

try looking on www.learn2knit.co.uk I think you will find this really helpful.

Linda:)

gigglinggoblin
09-02-2009, 08:42 AM
I learned using knittinghelp.com which has loads of videos and is really simple and brilliant. My 1st project was an intarsia jumper with thomas the tank on the front and stripey sleeves - you dont have to stick to scarves if they dont inspire you! There are things I would do better if I was doing it now but ds still loves it 2 years later (getting a bit small and raggy now tho lol)

The Bead Fairy
09-02-2009, 10:07 AM
thanks for your replys. I will have a look. Is it best just to buy some cheap wool and needles to start with so I can practice Before I embark on a project?
I think once I get started i will be ok it's just knowing where to begin.:D

silvermaid
09-02-2009, 11:06 AM
Have a look in your local charity shops they often have odd balls of wool and always have loads of knitting needles really cheap. If you look on the wool label they will tell you which size needles to use.
I would try first with some chunky wool and larger needles so you can see what you are doing easily.

Melanie

The Bead Fairy
09-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Thanks Silvermaid. I hadn't thought of that. I will have a look and then go on the internet for some instructions and let you all know how I get on. I expect I'll be asking for more help again soon!!:D

Munchbun12
09-02-2009, 12:45 PM
Hiya Bead,if you don't see any knitting needles in the charity shops you must ask them if they have any as where i live in Derbyshire they have to leave them upstairs (health and safety issues) I also find that bamboo needles are best and they last longer too,i don't know if anyone else would agree. Good luck with the knitting x;)

The Bead Fairy
09-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Yeh. Have to say I've never seen any. I suppose they could be used as a weapon to hold up the shop!!!!!
I will go around the charity shops on my day off and see what I can find. Quite excited now!!;) So I hope I don't turn out to be totaly hopeless!!!:confused::D

angela54
18-02-2009, 08:51 PM
so.... hows it going? got the knack yet.... its like a lot of things.... easy when you no how... good luck

Linda60
08-03-2009, 10:32 PM
thanks for your replys. I will have a look. Is it best just to buy some cheap wool and needles to start with so I can practice Before I embark on a project?
I think once I get started i will be ok it's just knowing where to begin.:D

Hiya,

How is your knitting going, did you get some needles etc. Let us know.

Linda

dee_liteful
08-03-2009, 10:43 PM
you have made me want to have a go now! Let me see your creations!!x

The Bead Fairy
17-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Hi everyone. Not getting on very well at all. I have been trying to learn from a book and finding it hard going. I seem to be all fingers and thumbs!
At one point I was casting on and thought I was doing ok, then somehow all my stitches slipped off the needle and I gave up (I think I may have thrown it across the room too!!!)
The lady up the road has offered to teach me as I think I need someone actually there with me. I will keep at it but felt a bit down hearted about it really:confused:
I was at a craft fair at weekend and saw a woman demonstrating peg board weaving which I had a go at and really enjoyed (quite mindless and very relaxing!) so thinking about giving that a go. Will have to post a thread about it and ask if anyones done it!:)

removed10
18-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Okay, this is what has worked for me, and may not help you, but here it is for what it's worth! :D

My approach to learning to knit – get someone to teach you in person – that’s far preferable to trying to figure it out from a book.

Get some fat needles and some light colored yarn that is in good contrast with the needles. CO about 20 sts, and then start knitting. After a couple of rows, you should start purposefully make some mistakes. I know it sounds silly, but say to yourself, okay, I am going to knit through here instead…LOOK at it, understand what took place, and then UNKNIT it…do it in reverse.

Do things like drop a stitch, fix that then drop a st but keep knitting. Don’t slide a knitted st off onto the other needle…yarn over when you transfer a st to the other needle so you have sort of made an extra st but not really…do everything you can think of. Look at the mistake and really come to understand it, and fix it then, and fix it later – as most mistakes are not discovered until you (I) have knitted quite some distance on…erck. At that point, you can either rip out or “remedy” it there and then – but it will always be there to annoy you, though, and if you are like me, you will HAVE to rip back to the booboo and do away with it…

A word about undoing your knitting for several rows – the end st always causes (me) trouble. Don’t ever knit or purl the first st in any row, and then when you have to rip out, you stop at the “last” loop – voila it’s ready to go as the first st.

If you never knit or purl the first st in any row, you have MUCH straighter edges. So if it’s supposed to be a purled st, slide it as if to purl…if a knitted st, slide it as if to knit. Hope that makes sense – it will as you become more familiar and experienced with knitting.

If you’re not careful, picking up the end st can (okay maybe it’s just me) cause you to add a st…you tell me – I never know just what I have done sometimes…I wake up in a new world every day, so my husband says!

Also about undoing your knitting - use smaller circ needles for picking up the loops…then just use your reg needle and knit until they’re off the circs and back on your regular needle. You need to practice letting a st slip back through and losing it, and then finding it again so you don’t have to rip out…

Once you become familiar with mistakes, you can benefit more readily from a book – the drawings and photos will make lots more sense.

Then, as you embark on a project that actually matters, keep the fat needles and contrasting bright yarn by your side to help you figure out what has gone wrong, which hopefully WON’T HAPPEN after all this marvey advice…heh.

I always take out to just beyond the mistake, and then do some slow deep breathing and self talk to reassure myself that the enemy is gone, and then proceed to knit again, telling myself none of this was wasted time or effort, but rather, good practice. =)