PDA

View Full Version : wool

craftybeads
04-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Hi

I wonder if someone would be able to help....................

I have just got back into knitting after a long time. I have found a pattern i want to have a go at which uses cascade 220 wool. I have been having a look about but can't find any locally.

I was wondering if anybody knows of an alternative i could use. Would a double knitting work as well?

Thanks

Caroleecrafts
04-02-2009, 02:34 PM
Try Pavi (http://www.paviyarns.co.uk/shop/413/639/) they have cascade 220 in stock.

Moonbeam Angel
04-02-2009, 05:02 PM
One way to tell what sort of wool would be a good substitute would be to look at the needle size it says to use, usually 4mm is double knitting, 4.5mm is aran. etc but if you are going to do this always make sure you do a test square to make sure tension is right and then adjust up a needle size or down to get it right.

HTH

ellenwatson
04-02-2009, 06:04 PM
Nice to hear your back to knitting , not enough of us as everyone else says look at your needle size to guage what will work.
Ellen

Munchbun12
04-02-2009, 07:42 PM
I knit but nothing too complicated as i could never get the hang of a lot of it. Scarves,handbags,chicks in eggs (easter) egg cosies. Hubby knits too lol i taught him so there are more of us than we imagine. x;)

craftybeads
05-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies

The needle size is 4.5mm so I'll try an aran wool.

It always amazes me all the really simple bits of information, or simple tips, that people have which are never written down anywhere but they make such a big difference.

Thanks again for all your help.

Moonbeam Angel
05-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Glad to help. Let us know how you get on ;)