PDA

View Full Version : Attention CP/HP Soapers

ElaineJ
31-01-2009, 09:32 PM
An update from Soap Kitchen has come through - the major UK manufacturer of caustic soada has shut down!!

Soap Kitchen will arranging for imported stuff but costs will go up.

If your local ironmonger stocks it as drain cleaner get down there on Monday!!

removed10
01-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Make sure it's pure lye and not drain cleaner, from the iron monger. So, what IS an iron monger? Guess I could google it....

First we could no longer buy Red Devil lye in handy sized cans at the grocery store...now we (in the USA) can't label anything for babies or children unless it is tested for lead...what next, exploding bath bombs? Yes.....

Exploding 'bath bombs' hurt 13

I can't give the url because I haven't posted enough replies yet....but it was bath bombs from China, and they had a build up of carbon dioxide and blew their lids, hitting people....

Always something....

greannancrafts
01-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Hi
An ironmongers is a store that sells - household products like pots/pans/buckets/tools etc.

hth

Jane

FairyAlchemy
02-02-2009, 09:39 AM
B&Q sell it ....

cupcake
02-02-2009, 09:42 AM
ironmonger = hardware store

ElaineJ
02-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Make sure it's pure lye and not drain cleaner, from the iron monger

Caustic Soda is frequently labelled "Drain Cleaner" over here - perfectly safe for soaps and with details on the back if anyone is in doubt.

removed10
02-02-2009, 01:51 PM
I was WAY off - figured it was a smelting place or a welder's shop!

I sure miss the days of being able to buy pure lye at the grocery store...it was so convenient. Now I have to wait for a day that's not humid and spend the whole day measuring out bulk lye into my old Red Devil jars...weighs in the same, thank heavens.