PDA

View Full Version : Any bead shops in Scotland?

gilly
13-05-2006, 11:05 PM
Hello, I've just started making jewellery and I am finding it very difficult to get supplies other than on-line. Can anyone help with an outlet in Central Scotland( or and Scotland:) ) that I can see what i'm buying.

thanks

Gilly

Trinity
14-05-2006, 03:19 PM
Hello, I've just started making jewellery and I am finding it very difficult to get supplies other than on-line. Can anyone help with an outlet in Central Scotland( or and Scotland:) ) that I can see what i'm buying.

thanks

Gilly

Gilly, I still buy on line. I have a few suppliers that I use and trust, and I know that there beads are top quality. I also make my own beads......is there anything in particular you were looking for? :p

There is a wee shop in Haddington called The Bead Shop and it sells some really nice beads but imho, it is a bit pricey and Haddington is a nightmare for parking. There is another shop in Edinburgh that I use from time to time called Helios Fountain but again parking is pricey and the staff are not too friendly.

I personally would suggest that you find a few suppliers that are comfortable with on-line, I am sure most of them will offer a return policy if you are not happy with the goods.

Email me at info@trinity-jewellery.co.uk if you want any more information for directions or anything.

Cheers

gilly
15-05-2006, 05:20 AM
thanks for the help. I have 1 shop I go to in Linlithgow but I would have liked a bigger choice. ebay has been great so far but I'm having trouble finding antique looking crosses.

I had a look at your website and your stuff is FANTASTIC

thanks for your help

Gilly

Sticky Nicky
25-06-2006, 07:04 PM
I live just outside glasgow and dont have much of a choice but i buy everything online especially on Ebay. As long as you buy from a good seller on ebay, you should be fine.

carolinemhannon
25-06-2006, 09:47 PM
hi i found this one on uk beaders

www.beadshophaddington.co.uk

4 Church Street
Haddington
East Lothian, EH41 3EX

Opening Hours: Monday to Saturday 10am-5pm.

and the uk beaders site is

http://www.uk-beaders.co.uk/

it's really good, there's a map on there that gives you the location of all know uk bead shops as well as a list of websites

Tranquility80
26-07-2006, 06:36 PM
Hi Gilly,

I'm having the same problem as yourself and still buy the majority of my supplies online. Good luck with finding them.

Beckie
07-08-2006, 10:21 PM
I just started making my own jewellary, and I also can't really find any bead shops in Scotland. I got told today that there is a craft shop in Linlithgow which sells quite a big selection of beads, I have been to the shop before for scrapbooking supplies, and it is a nice shop. The guy who owns it really knows what he is talking about and is really nice. If its the pliers you are looking for, Maplins electrial stores are good. There is also a new shop in Edinburgh which sells a small selection of beads and wires etc, for quite good prices.

magenta
30-08-2006, 03:59 PM
There's an excellent bead shop in Perth called Bead Crazy. The lady who owns it is extremely helpful and has a really good selection.

0103media
30-08-2006, 04:02 PM
There's an excellent bead shop in Perth called Bead Crazy. The lady who owns it is extremely helpful and has a really good selection.

cool. welcome btw :D

Seahorse
30-08-2006, 04:14 PM
Hiya

What size antique crosses, like charms or bigger pendants?

magenta
30-08-2006, 08:18 PM
Thank you. :)

beadaddictedinburgh
04-09-2006, 07:31 PM
The Bead Shop in Haddington moved to new premises in Feb this year and is now 4 times the size at least and has a classroom too which is sometimes available for drop in beading sessions if you can't wait to get home. New address 29 Court Street opposite the Post Office and yet parking can be interesting but head for Tesco's and that helps a lot.

I use it for all my 'in person' shops, have visited Perth shop and it's tiny in comparison. Haven't visited Linlithgow's shop so can't comment but I have heard customers in Haddington saying they have made the journey from Linlithgow coz the selection is so much better.

As for price well it's hard to beat bulk buying on the internet I suppose but the shop is always busy and the staff are great - really friendly and helpful. Stock changes regularly too and new beads everytime I visit - it's very difficult to leave I can tell you.

Lebeado
04-09-2006, 08:33 PM
:) I'm a regular visitor to the Bead Shop in Haddington and I couldn't agree more - their selection is phenomenal and I love the way there are always new treats in store. It's open wallet surgery every time I go in there! Having said that, I think the prices are very reasonable. I've been to the wee shop in Perth too - it's got a nice selection but not a patch on Haddington. As for parking, it's all free for 90 minutes and I've hardly ever seen a traffic warden about! :)

gilly
17-09-2006, 08:52 PM
Hello,

thanks for all your replies. I haven't made much recently due to school holidays but i've just got into it again.:D

I was looking for charm size crosses but I've given up on them now and movd on.

Just to let you all know, there is a shop in stirling called flawless designs who sell beads but when I asked for swarovski crystals their reply was that no-one would pay for them and that most people wanted cheap beads. well I know i've not been at this for long but I still like to make nice pieces, so it's handy if you're in the area but I wouldn't make a special trip.

PS i went to Haddington and thought the shop was great but it's a couple of hours trip so I cant got that often.

speak to you soon

gilly

Sparklez
19-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Hi There,

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I saw this and just wanted to add that there is a new bead shop opened recently in Dundee (just behind the Welgate Centre). Haven't been in myself, but my Mother in law says it's really nice, friendly staff, and they will order things in for you.

HTH

Carol

steph
15-07-2007, 12:56 PM
hi, there is an amazing bead shop in dundee, they hav soo much choice and the prices are brilliant. They dont yet hav a website but there will be one soon. Its on victoria st, or if you don't know wer that is u just go 2 the back of the well gate and turn left. You should deffinetly visit.
steph:)

Petite_Amelie
20-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Thanks for those adresses

tigereye
31-07-2007, 10:01 PM
I live outside of Glasgow and buy all my stuff online from ebay or a supplier. I would prefer to see the beads etc in a shop but there is really only Millers and the Art Store in Glasgow and they don't have much of a selection.

Hobbycraft are opening a superstore at the Glasgow Fort in the East end of Glasgow, it will be ready for November.

Bowed Over
01-08-2007, 07:37 AM
Hobbycraft are opening a superstore at the Glasgow Fort in the East end of Glasgow, it will be ready for November.

Ooohhh - never new that - will need to see it when it opens.

Cheers.

Lisa

Red Lou
03-08-2007, 09:13 AM
Hello I am new to this forum and I just wanted to say that I have been using the Bead Shop too, they have a branch in Edinburgh, in Stockbridge now. I agree it is quite expensive but it has a great selection and I have been to a couple of their workshops and they've been really good.

I will try the shop in Linlithgow and I had forgotten about Helios.

Red

sals25
05-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Hi guys, just new here but couldnt help noticing that no one had mentioned that there is a bead shop in Glasgow, I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head but if you head into byres road there is a small alley called Ruthven Mews, there is a small shopping area and you can't miss the bead shop, the woman that runs it is so lovely, and very helpful, she has a great range of gemstone beads and sterling silver findings. Well worth a visit.

Sally x

Bea
05-02-2008, 10:30 AM
I just thought I'd mention there are now 2 bead fairs in Scotland. The first one was last year in August and was a HUGE success! So this year there are two, 24th Feb and 31st August, at the Concert Hall, Mill Street, Perth. Opens 11am till 5pm.

Pebbles
05-02-2008, 11:45 AM
Pretty old thread, not sure if you are still interested but:

The shop in Ruthven Mews is called Bead Chic and she is just about to open an online store

There are some shops in Perth too

One in Stockbridge and helios Fountain in the grassmarket (Edinburgh)

Hope that helps

gallerybeadshop
20-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Hi,

Hope you don't mind a shop posting! On 1st December 2007 we opened Edinburgh's largest dedicated Beadshop. As well as stocking beading neccessities such as findings, threads, wires, tools etc. etc. we also carry what we belive to be Scotland's largest collection of vintage beads and findings, Murano glass, sterling silver, gemstrands and freshwater pearls.
Beads are my passion and I've wanted to open a beadshop since I was seven...I've been stockpiling beads and associated goodies ever since! Workshops will be starting soon and we run a beaders' clinic every Tuesday between 3 pm and 5pm...come along and we'll try to help you with any beading problem you may have (we're not so good on beadweaving though!)

Our website (not online shopping yet) is about to go live soon, so check it out for regular offers and promotions...just type in gallerybeadshop into google (after 25th February) and we should come up!

We're also opening a dedicated wholesale room soon and we rent out cabinet space to local beadsmiths and jewellers too (hence the gallery part) and we currently don't even take a commision!

Also, print out this page and bring it into the Gallery Beadshop before the end of March to receive a 15% discount.

Our details are:
14 Lochrin Place,
Edinburgh,
EH3 9QY
Tel: 0131 229 2209

Hope to see you soon,
Annie

Beadservice
21-02-2008, 09:25 AM
For those of you who are in Scotland, there is a Bead Show on this Sunday 24th Feb 08,
at Perth Concert Hall, 11am-5pm

I'll be exhibiting so it say 'Hi' if you're passing :)

Debbie

Lou C
21-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Hi I'm brand new to beading and just discovered this site while trying to search for bead shops around glasgow.
I'm using a shop in Helensburgh which sells beading supplies. It's called the Lomond Tapestry Centre and is on the seafront.....it has a green shopfront.

steffifab
22-06-2008, 12:52 PM
think there's a bead fair coming up in Perth in August, not sure of the date, but it will be on a sunday.

cheers

:jump::jump:steph

Dizzydiza
22-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Wow this thread is old.....but to add to it....there is a new (well not new its been there for a few years now) craft shop in Stirling called Flawless Designs ...its in the Enterprise Park. Does all types of craft stuff ;)

Ger
22-06-2008, 08:21 PM
There will be a bead supplier opening up in Cullen in a weeks time :) If any of you are passing though please pop in and see me!!

handcrafted
22-06-2008, 10:21 PM
Wow very old thread. I just wanted to add that Helios Fountain is fab and the staff are lovely!! One man there went out of his way to source a jig for me and called me at home to tell me the results!

Beadservice
25-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Just to add more info to this old thread since it seems appropriate ....

Next Scottish Bead Fair is in Perth concert hall
Sunday 31st August 11-5pm

So put it in your diaries as it's a great bead show to visit :mf:

Debbie

glasgowmike
28-06-2008, 10:47 PM
If you can wait another two months, we'll be opening in the West End of Glasgow. After finishing some initial inventory orders tonight, I can say we will have just about everything :) in our store and online. Check back with us and I'm sure you'll find the products or classes you need.

Iron48
01-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Is your store open yet? I really need to get a few things.

glasgowmike
09-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Is your store open yet? I really need to get a few things.

Not sure why I didn't get notified but we are open now. You may have dropped by already but I have been deep into the inventory!

Peter
26-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Bumping this up to say I'm teaching a workshop at The Bead Shop in Haddington on the 7th Feb next year, and I'm at the Stockbridge shop the day after! :) http://www.beadshopscotland.co.uk/
Really looking forward to it! :D

MakeYourOwnJewellery
25-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Hi,
I have lots of interesting beads/findings/tools for jewellery making.

Our site has recently been redesigned and most of stock is still to go on it but as we are in the process of opening our very first bead shop just now we are run off our feet!

We are putting new stock on everyday so keep having a look back.

Our new shop is opening in March 2010 at The Five Sisters Business Park beside Freeport which is only 5 mins from the town centre in Livingston.

If you'd like to be invited to our opening evening of our new shop feel free to register on our site. On the night there will be exclusive offers, discounts and promotional items.

:jump:

Hope this helps you...Nicole

Amethystjewellery
25-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Hi,

Our new shop is opening in March 2010 at The Five Sisters Business Park beside Freeport which is only 5 mins from the town centre in Livingston.

I
I wish you all the best in your new venture, I hope that your shop is a great success ;)

htheophan
26-01-2010, 11:55 AM
There are some in Glasgow-one in Partick and one in Lancefield Quay. The latter is inside an antiques centre and is v. cheap with unusual beads. I live in Surrey, but have just come back from Glasgow, and thought the second shop was FAB. They have a website-think it's called Myer crystals, but the site is a bit-very-poor.

Linlithgow Arts
28-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Hi, our shop is located at 220 High Street Linlithgow, West Lothian. We offer an ever expanding range of art materials, beads and jewellery findings. We also have jewellery classes for beginners and chainmaille jewellery classes for the more adventurous! If you have any queries you can contact Gillian at gillpur@aol.com or telephone 01506 840840.

Abij
28-01-2010, 04:16 PM
do you know where abouts in Lancefield quay it is? I've googled mayer crystals and bead shop lancefield quay and found nothing, I'd be interested to have a browse about

bongobirdy
11-04-2010, 07:52 PM
The Craft Shop, it's part of Cardwell Garden centre in Gourock,it has a small stock of beads/findings/tools etc but covers all sorts of other crafts too,found it when out with my Mum and have been back a few times to pick up "bits",the ladies who work there are very nice and very approachable,they apparently also run workshops/lessons(not sure of times or details) but if you were to give them a call i'm sure they'd be equally as lovely to other interested parties...... apart from that there is apparently a BIG shop in Keith St,Glasgow who allegedly have a huge stock of beads etc.
I know this is an old thread but i was having a look to see if i could find any other local stockists and found this one,sorry if i should have put this elsewhere,i'm finding my way around slowly.
Hope it's ok to post the telephone number for them here.... 01475 521 536

glasgowmike
29-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Welcome...just checked this post...I am the owner of the Bead Company. Your welcome to come and have a look at our shop. We do stock a lot but I believe we also have a fun atmosphere and enjoy teaching! Hope to see you soon.

bongobirdy
23-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the reply,already been to see you and spent a fair bit... and will again coz it's FAB! i could really spend many happy days there.
Well Done,Great selection,even the discount card scheme is a great idea. Lovely Girl who helped me too,very helpfull.
See you again soon
Alison(BongoBirdy)

ClairyPops
05-07-2010, 02:43 AM
Hi!

I've just joined and noticed your question, I swear by a shop called Mylers, they have a store in Glasgow on Lancefield Street, inside an Antique Shop and the Edinburgh one is on Dalry Road, literally 2 steps from Haymarket Station, it is a red shop and has a sign on the top, very good parking on both stores - the Glasgow store has parking right outside the Antique shop and the Edinburgh one, you can chance it by trying to get a space on the main street or you can park in the Somerfield car park, just walk out of the car park, turn left and walk straight. If you get to the bridge, you've gone too far!
They have a website too, just search 'mylers beads' in google and they'll come up!
Hope I've helped, you need to check it out though, such good prices, amazing!
Claire xx

BeaDiverse
08-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Hi, I have just opened a bead Shop in Stirling called BeaDiverse which is situated at Unit 95 (Entrance G), John Player Building, Stirling Enterprise Park, Stirling FK7 7RP. Tel: 01786 449442 for more info or pop in for a browse. Open Monday - Saturday 10am to 5pm, Closed all day Wednesday.

googlie-eye Designs
03-09-2011, 07:59 PM
A little further north.....Bead Crazy in Aberdeen is awesome! Helpful, friendly and online too!

Angi
03-09-2011, 11:12 PM
Thought I would just add that my friend has a bead shop in Peebles - Bravenew Beads - if any of you are down that way

BeaDiverse
05-09-2011, 12:58 PM
I havent been to the Aberdeen Shop, but have heard it is a really friendly place too.

pbcharlie
12-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Just thought I would bump this post by saying the only Bead Shop in Fife, Scotland is based in Leven KY8 5HD
The bead workshop- [mod edit]

mcrafts
12-01-2012, 09:34 PM
Just thought I would bump this post by saying the only Bead Shop in Fife, Scotland is based in Leven KY8 5HD
The bead workshop- [mod edit]

Thanks for posting this - I'm not far from Fife.

pbcharlie
21-01-2012, 06:41 PM
No Worries, if I didn't post you might have never known about us.

SuzySoaping
28-12-2012, 05:24 AM
I know this thread is old but in Glasgow there is a jewellery whole salers in Lancefield Steet called The No1 Bead Shop. The actual building is an antiques place but there is a section in there where the bead shop is.

It's absolutely wonderful. I spend hours in there just looking at all the lovely beads. I think the have a website also, but not sure.