PDA

View Full Version : Best filling for a wheat bag

madmidwife
23-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Just wandering which filling is best in a wheat bag (appart from the obvious!!!!)

I have tried rice and this works well- it seems to stay warmer for longer.

Has anyone used cherry stones? And where can you get them from?

Cheers

Kirsty

craftyfoxni
23-01-2009, 08:27 PM
i use wheat and rice and yes the rice seems to stay warmer for longer and no i haven't tried the cherry stones would love to but when i first priced them the carriage to northern ireland ment that i would have to charge 21 for something a normally charge 8 for so i have to work with what i have and my local farmers supplies does 25kg of wheat for 7.50!!!!

and the other plus with the rice is that it seems to mould itself better to the area

snowgoose
23-01-2009, 08:51 PM
by, cherry stones, do you mean the stones in cherries or something else?

madmidwife
23-01-2009, 10:50 PM
Hi, I do mean the stones from cherries- i think they are actually called cherry pits- a very big business in Michigan in USA- cheap as chips over there- but I guess P+P would be huge!!!!

Wheat is the cheapest- but it just has an awful smell to it!!! I have found by adding various herb/fruit tea bags into the rice- you can get a lovely aroma.

I just liked the idea of the cherry pits because they are different and from my research keep warm longer.

They are a by-product from the cherry industry eg canned cherries, glace cherries, cocktail cherries. They are also big in Switzerland where they make cherry liquer and marachino cherries.

I just can't find any in the UK.

Think I will have to stick to rice!!

silvermaid
24-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Another alternative is pearl barley which you can get from the supermarket.

Melanie