PDA

View Full Version : can u use body or hand cream on your face?

spagbog
16-01-2009, 05:39 PM
I have a really good body cream and an even better hand cream. But the company does not make a facecream to go with them. Just wondering if any of you clever people know if its ok to put bodycream or the haandcream on my face. Would it be bad for any reason? THanxx:)

H Bee
16-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Hey I don't know for def but wouldn't recommend it as the skin on your face is more delicate?!just a guess tho

Aviya Glass
16-01-2009, 05:54 PM
There is no rule but hand cream etc tend to be heavier and I find when I have done it that my skin does not like it as its too rich and I get break outs - yes even at my age:o:o
Equally when I have used face cream on my hands it doesn't moisturize enough.
HTH :)

nettie
16-01-2009, 06:08 PM
I too have to be careful with what creams I use where but what I was told by someone at Boots and at the Clinique counter in a different place was that the molecules (?) in the body cream are bigger and therefore don't sink into the pores on your face as easily and that's why you may get a greasy or over moisturised feeling because most of it ends up sitting on the surface. I asked them because I was finding that my foundation wasn't staying put! I do sometimes use my body lotion on my neck and face if it's feeling a bit dry or tight - gawd, age, who'd have it?! Maybe be a bit more careful if the body cream/lotion is perfumed though. When I've used Simple sometimes the light moisturiser isn't quite enough so I put on tiny dots of the extra rich body lotion and it hasn't done any damage, except like I said about maybe making your makeup slip around a bit!!!

indri
16-01-2009, 06:25 PM
I'm not sure that molecule size has anything to do with it! Pore size is pretty similar over the entire body and you don't really want to have anything sinking too much into your pores as that's where the problem of spots comes from - blocked pores. These companies do like to blind you with science, most of which is probably bunkum. Some creams will have different ingredients so if you are planning on wearing foundation then you don't want anything too greasy I'd guess, but some handcreams I find are greasier than others. I don't use many myself anyway.

You can use any cream anywhere, just avoid the mucous membranes (sorry scientist online here), basically the eyes, nose and lips. If you aren't having any reactions to it on any other part of your body I wouldn't expect any problems with the face.

Magenta5
16-01-2009, 07:28 PM
I used to work for the Body Shop and we always said it was best not to use hand or body products on your face as a lot of them are too harsh and if they are highly perfumed the fragrance can irritate your delicate facial skin. So I'd stick to putting it where it's designed for. :D

johncena
26-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Hand and body lotions are usually thicker and may clog the pores on your face and cause acne. The skin on your face is more sensitive, that's why face lotions are made to be non-comedogenic (won't clog pores). However, some people can use hand lotion on their face and have no trouble, so you may be fine. There's really only one way to find out - the worst that will happen is you might break out, in which case you'd stop using it.

Sheabutter Cottage
09-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Ok, this is my take on this:
The face is a very sensitive part of "body". I always use a lower % of essential oils in my face cream compared to a hand/body cream.
I will also not use cocoa butter in a face cream but would be happy to use it in hand/body cream.

TerriWoah
09-06-2009, 07:34 PM
I've been using Baby Bottom Butter from Waitrose on my face - superrrr!
I've tried some body creams on my face but not really noticed a difference. I am prone to spots but they havent made them worse at any point. I suppose it depends on the actual cream, if it contains a high % of perfume i would steer clear of using it around the eyes and lips perhaps!

Swarovski Chick
09-06-2009, 08:46 PM
I reckon if it feels right then use it. I'n been using Vaseline body lotion on my face for ages, but I have other body lotions that feel too heavy and greasy for my face so I don't put them on. If your skin feels nice when you put it on then keep doing it Suzanne x

vivcarm
10-06-2009, 09:10 AM
I think it is a personal thing, facial types vary vastly and so do creams, if you find one that fits, then great. As for selling, well, I think I would go with lesser perfumed / Essential oils/ unperfumed for the face, as previously said.

jencel
10-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Baby Bottom Butter :D I love that name. I hardly ever go to Waitrose, but I'd definitely buy it just for the name.

I generally have a separate face cream, but atm I've got E45 (the cream, not the lotion) and it's great for hands as well as face.