PDA

View Full Version : Bit of help with crochet needed please

gigglinggoblin
10-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Is it single or double crochet when you dont wrap the yarn around the hook before going into the stitch? Before you start slipping stitches off you have 3 on the hook.

Have been having a go at amigurumi, couldnt do it at all this morning, made this without a pattern this afternoon! (very pleased with self!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gigglinggoblin/3184567919/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gigglinggoblin/3184567919/

Moonbeam Angel
10-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Thats because it's probably done for the American market, they call double crochet single crochet and then all stitches follow from that,

American English
Single crochet double crochet
double treble
half double half treble
treble double treble

see what I mean.

Any more probs pm me and I will see what I can do

gigglinggoblin
10-01-2009, 07:58 PM
flippin heck! who came up with that idea?

thank you very much, that makes things much clearer - so in english its double crochet where you end up with 3 stitches, in america its single.

brilliant, would never have managed to fiigure it out alone, thanks :)

Moonbeam Angel
10-01-2009, 08:00 PM
you're welcome!!!

Moonbeam Angel
10-01-2009, 08:06 PM
I just re-read your thread, double crochet is where you have the loop on the hook, you go through the work and pick up the thread, (two loops on hook) then you put the thread over the hook (three loops) and then you pull this last "loop" through the first two giving you one loop.

Is this what you mean??? if so then my first post is correct, the Americans (and australians) call this single crochet!!!

Linda60
10-01-2009, 11:23 PM
I could probably scan and send you a piccy from one of my many crochet books if it helps. PM me if you want me to do this for you.

Linda

buffybaskey
10-01-2009, 11:48 PM
oooo i love you cake!:)

gigglinggoblin
11-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Have got it sussed out now, I was looking on the internet to figure it out and none of the sites I came to explained it was different in american and english so I saw the pictures but the wording was different all over the place!

Had another go after the kids went to bed and have just blogged pics of carrot, ice cream and strawberry. I can see my knitting time is going to have to be shared from now on!

Very kind of you all to help!

jezzabell
11-01-2009, 09:39 PM
very nice cake!

if you need any more crochet help - just ask ;)

GlamGlass
11-01-2009, 11:07 PM
Wow that is amazing for a no pattern 1st time sort of thing!! I have just started to crochet, but I am making it up at the minute and only just learnt about double crochet, which was different from what I had been doing!!

I find the instructions confusing and I know it is going to take me ages before I could follow a pattern!!:o

Recycled Bag Lady
12-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Oh my goodness, can't believe you have done those from scratch with no pattern! How clever :D

gigglinggoblin
12-01-2009, 07:19 AM
The pattern is just like in knitting, I have been doing my own knitting patterns for ages now but have never figured out that crochet is quicker!

Thank you for lovely comments :)

Moonbeam Angel
12-01-2009, 09:44 AM
and crochet is easier to pick up and put down. Ive been knitting for about 33 years and still I can put down a piece Im working on and pick it up later and not be able to work out where I am!!!

With crochet, which Ive been doing on and off for less time than knitting, I can put it down and come back to it and know exactly where I am.

Unfortunately though it means all my knitting projects have been put aside in favour of crochet:D

gigglinggoblin
12-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Thats very true, and it svery useful when you are trying to shoehorn it in between looking after small children. Put down knitting to deal with one and you can almost guarantee another will have nicked a needle (usually the one with most stitches) for some reason or another (sword fighting, poking brother, annoying cat etc.... none of them suitable uses!). Am having lots of fun with it and am just really chuffed I have picked it up so fast!