PDA

View Full Version : dry sensitive skin

nitab
26-12-2008, 01:33 AM
I have been loooking for natural products for dry sensitive skin for the face. can antone reccommend any please?

lauralou1601
26-12-2008, 06:51 PM
L'occatine stuff is good. I went through a stage of being allergic to EVERYTHING and had realy bad eczema and thats the only stuff I could use

nettie
27-12-2008, 01:18 AM
I used to have very bad eczema and still have to be careful what I put on my face. The doctor used to make me up a concoction of eumovate, unguentum merck and hydrocortisone but of course that's all pretty strong stuff to go zapping on your skin, even though it did work! I then started using Simple products and still can only use Simple soap. My face sort of tightens up straight after I wash! I use Clinique dramatically different moisturizing lotion (not the gel though as that makes me itch!) for my face and now that I can use some perfumed stuff on the rest of me I mix my favourite Clinique aromatics with aqeous or e45 as a body lotion. Not only does it dilute it a bit but it last longer now too! I still keep a small tube of eumovate or hydrocortisone handy though. But anything with perfume is a no-no on my face. Simple moisturizers were brilliant for me and it took me about 10+ years to pluck up the courage to try something different for fear of a reaction, but Clinique works for me. Good luck with finding something, I know how it feels :)

ElaineJ
27-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Natural handmade products should benefit your skin but many people are now using a cleansing technique using oils and a hot cloth known as the Oil Cleansing Method (http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/) (I've not got around to it yet).

Some lesserknown sites with lovely natural skincare products are Maia Skin Care (http://www.maiaskincare.co.uk/), Natroma (http://www.naturalsoapworks.co.uk/) and Of a Simple Nature (http://www.ofasimplenature.webeden.co.uk/#/facialrange/4517854588). I've had presents of moisturisers etc. from each one of these during the past year and they're really lovely to use.

Lomond Soap
27-12-2008, 07:13 PM
I can second Maia & Natroma, both produce beautiful natural creams and balms. Also tried new organic face creams from http://www.seaweedskinfoods.co.uk
(http://www.seaweedskinfoods.co.uk/)

ElaineJ
28-12-2008, 01:23 AM
Re - "soaps"; do read the label on the reverse - if you check you'll find that some of the supposedly simple or gentle soaps are not soap at all but solid detergent bars.

For a gentle soap you should look for Sodium Olivate at the start of the list, if a soap has Sodium Cocoate near the start of the list it will be more drying.

In general handmade natural/traditional soaps will be kinder to your skin than soaps bought from a supermarket as the natural glycerine content is not removed. Ones made with Goatsmilk and Honey are particuarly good for dry skin and can be used on your face - unlike many commercial soaps.

auntynet
28-12-2008, 01:32 AM
My problem isn't the same as yours, in fact quite the opposite - I started suffering with severe acne at the tender age of ........ 35!
:jaw:

I'd never had it before, not even as a teenager, so it was very traumatic for me - I can laugh now but my son used to call me pizza face! :(:nopity:

Prescribed creams just burned the skin off my face - not good during the summer when you have a tan :mad: - and I took antibiotics for about 7 years before it eventually cleared up but during this time I started using Lancome Gel Clarte face wash. Its really mild and doesn't dry the skin but it did clear up my problem. I found that if I ran out of it and used ordinary soap or face wash, my skin felt very tight and itchy. Anyway, it worked for me - its not cheap but I won't use anything else on my face.

mizgeorge
28-12-2008, 11:19 AM
I'd happily recommend Liz Earle and especially Bio-oil - which is also incredibly effective at reducing old and new scarring. I had a lot of surgery on my face and neck earlier this year, and the scars are barely visible now.

craftynclothy
29-12-2008, 06:00 PM
I do a Virgin Organic Coconut oil that can be used on the face & body. It's very moisturising and completely natural. I use it myself and I have sensitive skin. It smells gorgeous and can be used as an intensive hair conditioner too. :)

LC's Beads
30-12-2008, 04:33 PM
I'm with MizGeorge and would recommend Liz Earle. I suffer from Seborrhoeic eczemahttp://www.netdoctor.co.uk/system/s.gifon my face and without my Liz Earle cleanser and cream my skin is soo sore

abbey_69
20-01-2009, 06:09 AM
I have been loooking for natural products for dry sensitive skin for the face. can antone reccommend any please?

Try to use herbal based product and massage your skin with honey. Honey is very effective for dry skin.

matt.chatterley
20-01-2009, 06:30 AM
.. This is going to sound like a plug, lol.

I actually use my mum's handmade soaps for hands (I get dry, icky skin from most soap) - http://www.jerseycraftshop.com/ - I tend to use whatever is damaged or left over in the shop, but Au Natrel is particularly good (nothing added at all, just a natural base passed through an extruder).

Apart from that, I use either Simple or "Mankind" (a sort of cheapie version of Simple), though I've actually just switched to "Real Shaving Co" for aftershave cream - uh - not that you'll want that, most likely. It's such a good moisturiser that the OH has been known to nick it though! ;)

ElaineJ
20-01-2009, 09:58 AM
I actually use my mum's handmade soaps for hands (I get dry, icky skin from most soap) - http://www.jerseycraftshop.com/ - I tend to use whatever is damaged or left over in the shop, but Au Natrel is particularly good (nothing added at all, just a natural base passed through an extruder).

Salt Bars are good for many skin problems - don't know if anyone here makes them though.

crafty-clarie
20-01-2009, 07:03 PM
I'm loving this thread, especially where Matt pops up!!:D

I've suffered from really dry itchy and sore skin all my life and I'm glad to know I'm not alone. E45, Eumovate and all that does nothing for me in fact it just makes my face itch and look blotchy and feels really heavy. I'm always looking for something really creamy somewhere between a lotion and a cream - consistency of creme fraiche!! I have been using Nivea for a little while and that seems to be really light but quite effective. I'll get the name and post it on here.

beckyboo
20-01-2009, 07:45 PM
ohh very interesting

in the past couple of months I've developed eczema ( my doctor says it's menopause related,ohh the joy of getting older !!) , it's driving me crazy.
I'd like to try and calm it down with a natural product if I can before I go along the line of prescribed creams.

my son used to suffer from infected ezcema and we used to use coaltar bandages from the docs and coconut oil cream, so I think I'm going to try the coconut oil , it's relatively cheap and can be used straight on the skin or added to a bath.

just my luck I get rid of the psoriasis and get eczema ,lol

matt.chatterley
20-01-2009, 11:18 PM
I'm loving this thread, especially where Matt pops up!!:D

I've suffered from really dry itchy and sore skin all my life and I'm glad to know I'm not alone. E45, Eumovate and all that does nothing for me in fact it just makes my face itch and look blotchy and feels really heavy. I'm always looking for something really creamy somewhere between a lotion and a cream - consistency of creme fraiche!! I have been using Nivea for a little while and that seems to be really light but quite effective. I'll get the name and post it on here.

LOL. Glad to amuse! :D

I really can't use anything that has artificial ingredients in it, or is alcohol based though. I have incredibly wussy skin for a man, I think! :p

Lomond Soap
21-01-2009, 06:39 PM
Chickweed is supposed to be very good for psoriasis and eczema. You could try adding a good scoop of the dried herb in a muslin baggie to your bath.
I've tried several balms and creams for psoraisis, they all help to an extent, mostly by keeping the skin hydrated.
For a cheaper option, get your hands on some Evening Primrose oil and use that after a bath or shower or whenever.

Dennym
05-02-2009, 08:51 AM
I used to suffer from Seborrhoeic eczema too but cleaning up my diet and using almond oil first and then virgin coconut oil worked a treat. I still use the coconut oil now and my face has never been so soft! I also use it over the rest over my body too.

FairyAlchemy
06-02-2009, 06:45 AM
Salt Bars are good for many skin problems - don't know if anyone here makes them though.

I make a few different salt bars which are good for problem skin and also honey and benzoin soap balms... but the OCM (oil cleaning) method is really good especially for problematic skin.. .. for a moisturizer plain shea butter with nothing added is a dream..

Is it bed time yet??:mf::p

onlyme
06-02-2009, 07:30 AM
Natural handmade products should benefit your skin but many people are now using a cleansing technique using oils and a hot cloth known as the Oil Cleansing Method (http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/) (I've not got around to it yet).

This is brill! I used to do this years ago and it's the BEST! Thanks for reminding me Elaine. ;)

cardelle
06-02-2009, 09:53 AM
I have the same problem as you but since using Liz Earle for the last 6 months its been a lot better.

artistsresource
06-02-2009, 04:01 PM
I have a friend who makes the most amazing COMPLETELY natural products, tailored to suit your needs. I buy an aloe vera cream from her during the summer which cools down the skin amazingly. I call it 'the magic stuff'! It is 100% organic and homemade - not any of that 99% stuff which has to contain something yukky to preserve it!

Her website is http://www****rture-group.com. Send her an email if you want something specific and she'll make you the best cream you ever had.

Leona x

johncena
26-05-2009, 10:41 AM
you should use products without alcohol and drink at least 2litres of water everyday it will be good for your skin, i have been doing it for many years as i suffer from ecezma and my skin gets dry and is very sensitive.

sparkysdad
26-05-2009, 10:48 AM

Might be worth talking to jane (greannacrafts) I think she started her business after a relative developed severe sensitivity.. she should have stuff worth trying..

Bath-Bomb.Com
26-05-2009, 11:11 AM
I see this is a really old thread but I just wanted to share a testimonial I received from a customer the other day - I was so chuffed I can't resist having a boast :)

"Hi Judi,

I just wanted to extend a thank-you for the "whipped shea butter" - this product is heaven sent! After a week of use, it has transformed my skin...a miracle in itself, because I really struggle finding products that don't cause my sensitive & eczema prone skin to flare up. Thank-you!"

Isn't that heart-warming....?

And the link to my site is in my signature :)